Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm considering upgrading my 1992 230e to a 1997 E220 (124). I have some questions:

1 - Will the '97 E220 be affected by the wiring harness issues? I read somewhere before it was up to 1996?

2 - Am I correct in saying that all facelift 124's came with the 5 speed auto gearbox? Is there anything to look out for specifically on this gearbox?

3 - Is there anything else to look out for on this engine (M111)?

Thanks for your help,
Jase

·
Registered
346 Posts
There was one or two mentions of something similar with the Wiring harness in some 97's that I read about. And some in 96. Even a few from 91 and 92. So its not really reliable to think it should not be a concern on anything but 93-95. Seems the reports are extremely low though.

Must realize that it was some time around that time or even after 97 before Mercedes probably came to realize that the harnesses were failing in some numbers because this would have only been Three four, five or even six years down the line and it takes a bit of time for them to fail and then enough failures to note something is systematically wrong. It appears some may have gone into that era unfortunately, but because no one seems to know when they changed it all, one might expect it could still have been being used into that time or even a tad later on for that matter. But there are databases being kept that note classic failures into 97, however low the numbers. I would almost discount it as happening on a 97.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Slightly off topic, and not really meaningful to your harness questions, (and I'm a rooky at this for sure), but didn't (124) production end with the 96 models? I don't have any info on which types got the bad harnesses, or for how many years, but I imagine all the types were effected within a certain date range.

If thats true, then your 1997 E220 isn't really a W124 chassie car, it's a _____? But it may still have the harness problem no matter what type it is.

Perhaps one of the forum experts can fill in the blank.

I do know that 93 was the start of the W124 problem, as I had a choice between a 93 CE that hadn't had it's harness changed, or a 92. The 92 was just slightly better otherwise, but in the end the harness issue ruled towards the 92, for better or worse.

So for the experts in the crowd,

1. What Types were effected with bad harnesses,

2. and for what date ranges?

I'm interested to find out myself, as I've become obsessed with these cars and already looking to buy another, lol...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes. At least in US the end of the 124 was 96.

However it is not a fact that waring harness issues were only linked to 93 - 95

They are known to exist in 91-96 for certain. And it appeared in many different models in those years from time to time according to the NHTSB complaints.

But... knowledge is keen here. Knowing what your looking for and knowing the other issues can make you a powerful buyer of one of the best models Mercedes made. Being willing to deal with a Wiring harness or head gasket and then getting it for the right price can bring you into one of the finest models made...

Besides... your often likely to run into one that has been upgraded and fixed if you can verify it. Then you have yourself a real nice motor here. The 104 is a rock solid motor.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The W126 had the same thing in South Africa going with production being extended. US and European W126 production ended in 1991 and the W140 was introduced. However, there was still production occurring in South Africa for about a year or two later. With "unofficial" production ending around 1993 or 1994. I'm pretty sure that this why he is referring to the E220 as a 1997, as the production runs may have been extended. I just wonder why these production extensions occurred in South Africa.

If it isn't a W124 then it may be a W210.

Edit: Copied from Wikipedia
"The W126 generation was replaced by the W140 in 1992, although a satellite factory in South Africa is known to have continued production until 1994." The same thing may have happened with the W124.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. So it may or may not have been effected:p

Anyway when I get to look at the car I'll be able to tell.

The other questions remain:

1) Any experience on the M111 engine and it's reliability and common problems?
2) Found out it does have the 5 speed auto box (my mechanic says it's electronic on those cars). Do any of you have experience with this box? What mileage can one normally expect out of it assuming it has been maintained? And if not maintained?

Thanks,
Jase

·
Registered
79 Posts
I own a 1996 E220 W124 - made in India. The model was a failure in India as the Indian buyer did not want to buy a expensive car such as a Mercedes which had been withdrawn from the International market. The E220s were assembled here till early 1997 if I am right.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 94 E220. Affected by wiring harness issue.
Apart from that, engine is quite bombproof. Still trying to solve the tappety noise under acceleration though (car only has genuine 70000km).

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts