Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone- I am looking into buying a 1997 C36. Seeing there are so few for sale, I am trying to get a read from you all on these cars relative value.

The car in question has about 126k for mileage and is black. The exterior looks to be in very nice with no imperfections. The only real modification is a set of aftermarket springs. The car need brakes all around and the flexshaft guibos replaced. The owner bought the car from a dealer and has no idea about the head gasket or if it was ever repaired.

Any information or guesses would be appreciated- Cory

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
Sajeev is a knucklehead and the article is a joke. Go ahead, buy the Hyundai Mr. Journalist, you aren't a car guy. This is the type of driver who would also choose a Casio vs a Rolex Daytona given a choice between the two.

Fact is, these cars have a personality and build quality that no Hyundai (or any Asian car for that matter) can match. Mercedes has a pedigree behind it. I for one would be riding in a hearse before I ride in a Hyundai.

OTOH, a fact of life - pretty much any car you will find by now will have mileage north of 100K and the newest one W202 is now 10 years old.

It will break- they all do. All cars, regardless of make will break by this age and mileage, so if you do not have the resources to maintain it then stick with a new jap car.

Nothing worse than watching someone buying a high age and mileage car and then they get pissed when it breaks. Things happen, get ready.

PS I'd seek a 96, no electronic tranny to blow up.

rjp

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy- I am waiting to see how this all plays out. I am the owner of the se-r. I don't have the option of getting a 95 or 96 c36 in this particular situation. The person that I am talking to about trading my car has a 97 c36.

I thought the last poster on the thread has the most level headed response.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Brakes aren't terribly hard on this vehicle, if the PO is a wrench have him change them. In all likelyhood it will need rotors.

I'd do it (obviously, I'm biased)

·
Registered
10 Posts
New or Used: The Backyard Swing That Faces a Brick Wall | The Truth About Cars

Guys- I would be interested to hear anyone take on this article
That article is clearly written from a pragmatist's perspective. Which is fine for those looking for the most sensible transportation alternative. And if I had followed that direction, I would have easily bought an early 2000s Honda Civic as my daily driver over my current C36.

But that's not what the C36, or any AMG model for that matter, is about. If you're even considering this type of car, I would imagine you are somewhat of an enthusiast with an affliction for special European sports sedans (in this case, very limited-production ones). And therefore, you probably also understand, appreciate, and accept the fact that these cars may require special upkeep (and yes, sometimes it can get costly). I have an E36 M3, which I have owned since brand new (1997) and is still immaculate. I needed a daily driver to tackle a 50+ mile, traffic-ridden, daily roundtrip commute, because my M3 is an M/T. But I wanted something that wasn't going yawn me to death on my way to and from work everyday. So I focused on something powerful, luxurious, and somewhat practical (4-doors and an A/T is plenty practical for me). And VOILA!~ The C36 instantly popped into my head. Of course it helped that I've always loved this car.

After one full month of ownership, I absolutely LOVE this car (see link below to read my full review if you're interested). I'm so glad I managed to find one (albeit after a long 8 month search) in the condition that it was. And I haven't looked back since.~ :thumbsup:

My thoughts so far... - MBWorld.org Forums

·
Registered
A lot of performance cars!
25 Posts
I love my C36 after owning a lot of modded MBs and other factory ones the C36 is the most favorite. I also have a business modding cars and the Japanese ones are my least favorite because they lack real personality. I keep my C36 nearly all stock. I got it off a 67 year old guy who loved the car but didn't maintain it. So I had to rebuild the trans and head but it was worth it. My own gripe is the hp. for its day it was great but today it lacks 40hp. but I have a way to resolve that soon! I hope.

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mercedes-Benz Classifieds

Hi everyone- I just wanted to update this thread. The above ad is for the car in question. I have been talking to the owner about swapping his C36 for my civic hatch. Originally, he was looking to trade for my se-r.

We are going to meet up on Saturday. However, I did get more info from him the other day. He swapped out the transmission and redid the front brakes a few weeks ago. The tranny is still stuck in safe mode. The old transmission is in the trunk of the car. He also has a spare tranny ecu. He wasn't sure if the tranny ecu needed to be reprogrammed to get it out of safe mode or if there was potentially some other issue causing it to be that way. He talked to some people and thought there was a possibility that it could potentially be a related to the speed sensor.

The car is in great shape beyond the tranny issue. I initially was a bit apprehensive about the unknown problem. I was a bit more confident seeing there is now a spare transmission. If I could get that issue resolved it would be a damn sweet ride. The owner is going to bring the Mercedes maintenance history with him on Saturday. I requested he get it when he was at the dealer.

I bought this civic for $1750 in December. It was a great deal and it could easily be sold for $3-3,500. I am thinking it might be worth the risk to take on the benz in trade. I would love to hear any comments.

Cory

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I am curious to check through the dealer service records to see what kind of work has been done over the years. This would not be my primary car so I really wouldn't be under the gun as far as getting it fixed right away.

·
Registered
1996 C36 AMG
67 Posts
Sajeev is a knucklehead and the article is a joke. Go ahead, buy the Hyundai Mr. Journalist, you aren't a car guy. This is the type of driver who would also choose a Casio vs a Rolex Daytona given a choice between the two.

Fact is, these cars have a personality and build quality that no Hyundai (or any Asian car for that matter) can match. Mercedes has a pedigree behind it. I for one would be riding in a hearse before I ride in a Hyundai.

OTOH, a fact of life - pretty much any car you will find by now will have mileage north of 100K and the newest one W202 is now 10 years old.

It will break- they all do. All cars, regardless of make will break by this age and mileage, so if you do not have the resources to maintain it then stick with a new jap car.

Nothing worse than watching someone buying a high age and mileage car and then they get pissed when it breaks. Things happen, get ready.

PS I'd seek a 96, no electronic tranny to blow up.

rjp
i couldnt agree more. ive only owned my C36 for a week but im in love. I know its gonna cost me some money down to road, but being a Euro car guy im used to that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm slowly redoing my car. This week i am doing my front end to renew the bushings.

in order for owing one of these to make sense you have to acknowledge the Benz is a better driving and more desirable car. If you can't see that then ya, you need a Japanese car.

Even though I've spent well in excess of the vehicle's value if sold thanks to the new paint, all new engine sensors, front bushing rebuild, misc parts time and supplies to fix broken things, not to mention all the time I've spent on this car I still have LESS than the cost of a new Kia into it. In exchange, I have a like new BENZ that drives accordingly.

It sure is a hell of a lot cooler than a new Kia tho. Works for me.

rjp

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in order for owing one of these to make sense you have to acknowledge the Benz is a better driving and more desirable car. If you can't see that then ya, you need a Japanese car.
I hear what you are saying. However, I have owned a lot of cars and plenty of high end ones. I still have nightmares from the money I sunk into keeping my euro Porsche 928 working. This isn't a brand snobbery issue.

I would love to own the C36, but am trying to mitigate the risk on my end by being informed prior to making the leap. It doesn't make much sense if I am going to have to put many thousands of dollars into the car. I could just sell the civic myself for $3500 and then buy a fully working C36.

The real questions comes down to this: I am able to get this 97 c36 for $1750 which is the price of what I am into the civic. I would be getting the C36 with an unknown tranny issue that is keeping it in safe mode. The car would be coming with a spare tranny and tranny ecu. This weekend I will be able to discern whether the wiring harness or head gasket has ever been replaced by checking the dealer records.

Hope that makes sense. Cory

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hear what you are saying. However, I have owned a lot of cars and plenty of high end ones. I still have nightmares from the money I sunk into keeping my euro Porsche 928 working. This isn't a brand snobbery issue.

I would love to own the C36, but am trying to mitigate the risk on my end by being informed prior to making the leap. It doesn't make much sense if I am going to have to put many thousands of dollars into the car. I could just sell the civic myself for $3500 and then buy a fully working C36.

The real questions comes down to this: I am able to get this 97 c36 for $1750 which is the price of what I am into the civic. I would be getting the C36 with an unknown tranny issue that is keeping it in safe mode. The car would be coming with a spare tranny and tranny ecu. This weekend I will be able to discern whether the wiring harness or head gasket has ever been replaced by checking the dealer records.

Hope that makes sense. Cory
whoa, a 928- that's a scary one. Black hole that sucks cash and no way is the C36 that bad-

I'm from the Porsche realm too (Used to own a trick 81 911 and seeking a 964)

Here's the thing- if you really like the car and besides the tranny it checks out (not leaking, generally everything works and the car is all there) buy it and fix it- even if you paid full sticker for the tranny work (assuming $4K) you will come out just better than even, and have a fresh tranny to boot.

I was just saying on another thread here that frankly, forums make problems a lot bigger than they actually are. If you own a 97 frankly I wouldn't worry about harness issues, look at the HG, check the obvious and go from there.

At $1750 if you don't like it you can easily recoup the cash, I'll bet even from someone on this forum. You won't be upside down if the rest of the car is clean otherwise. It sounds like you are on to a smoking deal, especially if it comes with a spare tranny- fix what you have and sell the others.

rjp

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Randy- thanks for that. That was what I was thinking as well. The owner paid a grand for a used tranny and replaced it himself a few weeks ago. I was very surprised when he opened the trunk and showed me the original tranny in there. There is some electrical issue causing the problem. The car is in great shape otherwise. It's stance is great with the aftermarket springs and it looks very sharp in black with tinted windows. I will keep you all posted what happens this weekend.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it isn't too far from AZ if you pass let me know. Heck it's a smokin deal.

rjp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts