Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1997 C280 with 70k miles on it two weeks ago. The second day I had the car I attempted to pass a car on the highway and suddenly the transmission went into neutral regardless of what position I shifted to. After coasting to the side of the road and going through all the gears, I was able to drive again normally in drive. The car seems to shift oddly, hunting for gears at times. It has gone to neutral on other time, also only when I accelerate hard.

Back to the dealer (not a real MB dealer, but an independant European car dealer), who says that he pulled out a code indicating that the transmission control module was faulty. Something like "shifter position irrelevant" or something to that effect. They refuse to warranty the module, but may meet me half way, or something like that. I'm not to happy, but what can I do? The real MB dealer in my city wants $650.00 for the module and $175 to install it.

Is this my problem, and if so -

am I damaging the car by driving it normally (it drives fine, unless I get on it hard)?

and how hard is it to install the module myself? The dealer says that it is a "coded" item to my VIN number - what's that about?

Thanks for any help you all could provide. Maybe I would have been better off with a Honda.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
pay the money , its a job u need to do in a mercedes dealership ,Its a scam but they have ur left testie and u cant ever gat it back until u sell the car and let someone else have the famous mercedes testie grab.I have no balls now as i have 2 mercedes cars in my garage

1 - 2 of 2 Posts