Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 1996 E320 with 112K miles on it. I've had nothing but bad luck the past 2 days. Yesterday, the car's ignition decides to take a crap and the key will not turn the ignition. I call my mechanic and he said to order a new tumbler from the stealership for $93. So that's that. Today, I decided to fiddle around with the key on the car and it turned on. The car seemed to idle pretty rough; I was thinking maybe the car needed to warm up, so I take it for about a 3 mile cruise and the car was shaking non stop (rocking motion). I decide to stop and turn off the car and restart it; thinking it will go away and it did, but a "check engine electronics" light shows up. Any idea what this could be and how much is it going to cost? I really need this car to travel back and forth from my college. :crybaby2:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,812 Posts
Go to AutoZone, O'Reillys etc. They will read the Check Engine codes for you. After that we will be able to diagnose your problem a bit better.

·
Registered
1996 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased one of the code readers from an auto parts store, and the error was

P0306

Cylinder 6 Misfire

Any idea what causes this and what to do?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,812 Posts
Most likely a bad coil.

Before buying a new one, swap #6 coil with another one and see if the misfire moves to the other cylinder. If it does, then get yourself a new coil and you should be done.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Most likely a bad coil.

Before buying a new one, swap #6 coil with another one and see if the misfire moves to the other cylinder. If it does, then get yourself a new coil and you should be done.
+1 or a bad plug or wire

·
Registered
1996 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to check the coils and/or plugs and see if they are the problem. I'll report back with my findings.

·
Registered
1996 E320 260,00 miles Engine Replaced in 2009, 2000 E430 126,000, 2000 S500 160,000
82 Posts
what was the result of your investigation? I have the same code

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
what was the result of your investigation? I have the same code
Check the date, that thread was from late last year and the OP never provided the solution. Try a search for p0306 or start a new thread giving us as much info as possible. Also please use the UserCP link at the top and add your vehicle specifics and where you live.

·
Registered
1996 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi

It was actually a bad spark plug. I changed the spark plugs and the code went away. The car runs perfectly now at 115k miles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
99' Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
54 Posts
Hey guys! I have the same issue with my 96' e320 but the code reader said 5th cylinder misfire as oppose to yours being the 6th. I purchased a new coil pack, how do I go about finding which cylinder is #5 so I can replace it? Thanks for any help, all help is appreciated! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
#1 is at the front of the car on M104.

Merry Christmas
Awesome! It's a straight six so that would make sense, so the 5th spark plug going front to back would be the 5th cylinder where I can replace the coilpack? Also do you know if the M104 engine uses a coil pack per each cylinder or a coil pack per each pair of cylinders?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years!

·
Registered
54 Posts
each pair
Starting straight from front to back than, the 3rd coil pack would be for the 5th cylinder, yes?

As I mentioned I have a coil pack to install for the 5th cylinder misfiring, so if it runs in pairs this would be the one correct?

Best Regards!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know if it's the 1st, 2nd or 3rd coil pack that runs my 5th cylinder which is having the misfire. Does anybody know?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts