Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have a 1996 C280 with no working brake lights. Been troubleshooting the issue all afternoon and have reached a point of not knowing what to try next.

Conditions:
1. No working brake lights.
2. Fuse #30 (20 amp) blows instantly when ignition switch is turned on.

Troubleshooting so far:

1. Removed both brake light bulbs. Replaced fuse. Turn ignition switch on. Result: Instantly blows fuse.
2. Removed wiring connectors from both sides of trunk lampholder assemblies. Replaced fuse.Turn ignition switch on. Result: Instantly blows fuse.
3. Removed brake light switch from above pedal. Replaced fuse. Turn ignition switch on. Result: Instantly blows fuse.

I've included a few photos above. Any ideas on what I should try next?

Thank you everyone in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I decided to run a hot wire to the brake switch and was able to solve my problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All!

I have a 1996 C280 with no working brake lights. Been troubleshooting the issue all afternoon and have reached a point of not knowing what to try next.

Conditions:

Troubleshooting so far:

1. Removed both brake light bulbs. Replaced fuse. Turn ignition switch on. Result: Instantly blows fuse.
2. Removed wiring connectors from both sides of trunk lampholder assemblies. Replaced fuse.Turn ignition switch on. Result: Instantly blows fuse.
3. Removed brake light switch from above pedal. Replaced fuse. Turn ignition switch on. Result: Instantly blows fuse.

View attachment 2623528

View attachment 2623529

View attachment 2623530

Hello All!

Conditions:

Troubleshooting so far:

View attachment 2623528

View attachment 2623529

View attachment 2623530

You need to trace the cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts