Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96' C220 that has been flawless until now....

I bought this car 4 years ago and have always stored it in my garage for the winter...starting it every couple of weeks to keep the battery up...

I have always had the secondary/valet key with car and never the factory remote. This past winter the battery went dead...I charged it and now the Red/Green security lights flash on the mirror and the car just cranks....and wont start.

I called the Dealer and they told me that the valet key should start the car....to lock and unlock the drivers door and all should be fine.
I tried that but no luck...everything was re-set when the battery died..I had to re-code the radio etc.. My question to the dealer was, should I have the car towed in so a replacement fob could be programmed to shut off the security? They had no answer...just "Bring it in"

Has anyone encountered this problem/

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All the knowledge this forum holds and nobody has any ideas??

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
try locking and unlocking from the pass door and/or the trunk and see if that resets ur security. it could be the switch in the drivers door lock is bad, i know it happens on the w201s alot.

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a new key made so I could use it in he trunk to lock/unlock and no help...the car still just cranks and the security lights flash on the mirror..!!!!

The dealer says that it is a "non-chipped" key so buying a remote is pointless since it only unlocks the doors.

I am stumped...any suggestions beside towing it to the dealer for diagnostics??

The car ran fine when I parked it in December...never a problem.

thanks

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,810 Posts
I agree with the last suggestion of maybe the door lock switch is bad, and not disabling the security. Try unlocking at trunk or passenger door and see if it disables it.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you already tried that.

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read this in another forum....what do you think?

"Okay, if you are turning the key in the ignition, and the red and green lights on your rear view mirror are flashing, that means that your security system has been turned on. Do you have a keyless remote with this car? If you do, what you need to to is use that to lock, then unlock the car. When the car is unlocked with the remote and not the key...the security system is turned off. BUT if you lock the car with the remote, but use your regular key to unlock it, it won't start. That's because your regular key doesn't send any signals to disarm the ignition imobolizer like the remote does when it's pressed. So therefore this should work for you."

I never noticed the red/green light flash before....maybe someone who pays more attention than me can chime in if this is NORMAL when starting the car.

The flashing lights may be un related to the NO START problem.....Im not sure where to start...I have read that crank/cam position sensors ....coils etc...can cause the same crank...no start problem.

thanks for the help....next step is have it towed to the stealership for a scan

·
Registered
W202 C1997
301 Posts
Starting a car every couple of weeks will not keep the car battery fully charged, your car should be on a trickle charger all the time during the winter if it is not going to be used as your daily drive.

If the Red and Green lights are flashing ALTERNATLEY when the ignition is turned to position 2… which is ignition on and just before position 3 which is start… then the immobiliser (security) is enabled and the car won’t start.

Test the remote control, as described below, and replace the two batteries if needed. If the remote isn’t working properly in that it is not unlocking/ the car then the lights will flash as described above when you try to start the car.

What the fob test should look like when viewed through a digital camera.

When you unlock the car, by pointing the remote fob at the rear view mirror and pressing the button, the doors should unlock and the Green light should flash for a few seconds and the immobiliser (security) should be disabled and the car should start without any Red / Green flashing in the rear view mirror.

Once the car has been unlocked, with the remote, you can put it away and revert back to using the emergency key (valet key) to drive the car as you did before, however bear in mind if the car is ever locked with the remote then it will need to be unlocked with the remote before it can be started with the emergency key .

The non electric key that you usually use is an emergency key for the purpose of entry into the car in the event of a flat battery and not intended for daily use, it will start the car provided the car is in the unlocked state, in other words it was previously unlocked with the remote.

Unlocking the car with the remote…Green light … also disables the immobiliser.
Locking the car with the remote…Red light … also enables the immobiliser.

Also synchronise the remote as described below.

Dec

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO you think that the battery going dead caused the security to "ARM" itself and unlocking/locking the door or trunk will not disable the security system?

I guess if that is the case I will have to have a flip key/remote made. I assume I need to have the car towed to the dealer to have the remote programmed to my vehicle..?

thanks

·
Registered
W202 C1997
301 Posts
If the car never had a flip out remote then getting one now won’t solve the problem.

I assumed that you have a flip out remote like the one in the picture but that you don’t use it, if you don’t have a flip out remote and the car didn’t originally have a flip out remote then the security should be disarmed when you unlock the driver’s door with your key.

There must be a fault with the door lock, or a fuse is blown, the lock has a switch inside it which disarms the immobiliser when you unlock.

It might be best to have a mechanic come out to have a look at it rather than pay to have it towed and then pay for a mechanic, it may be something very simple like a fuse perhaps.

Dec

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure if the car EVER had a flipkey remote....I have only ever had the valet key....bought it that way . I never thought about it because I never had a problem.

Not sure a blown fuse would be the culprit, and the bad door lock? By unlocking the trunk , wouldn't that de-arm the security system?

·
Registered
W202 C1997
301 Posts
If there is a key hole in the driver’s door then you definitely don’t have or need a flip out remote.
If you don’t need/have a flip out remote then unlocking with a metal key in door or trunk key hole should disarm the security.

An electrical fault somewhere, does the key turn a quarter turn in the door lock when you lock or unlock the door?
Fuse… 20…23…27 the fuse chart below may or may not be the same as yours, its off a 1994 right hand drive.

Dec

Edit, also, check out your vacuum pump in the boot, see... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1580886-central-locking-vacuum-problems.html

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,810 Posts
Not sure a blown fuse would be the culprit, and the bad door lock? By unlocking the trunk , wouldn't that de-arm the security system?
It does on my car, but my car is a 95 which does not have the red and green lights you guys talk about, so I am assuming it was never made to use a key fob. But I can unlock trunk and car will start. In fact, I would assume that unlocking any of the doors or trunk with the main key(not valet) would disable security.

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[QUOTE=An electrical fault somewhere, does the key turn a quarter turn in the door lock when you lock or unlock the door?
Fuse… 20…23…27 the fuse chart below may or may not be the same as yours, its off a 1994 right hand drive.

My key does turn 1/4 turn...all the locks function as they should...at least they lock and unlock the doors. The only keyhole's on the car are the driver door and the trunk.

I will check the fuses tonight and report back...I appreciate the help

Bob

·
Registered
W202 C1997
301 Posts
Is there any other fault, like electrical consumer’s t that doesn’t work on the car, for example, are the wipers, turn signal, lights, radio or heater blower working?

If we don’t hear back from you within 36 hours then we will assume either you are dead or you have fixed the fault.

Dec

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there any other fault, like electrical consumer’s t that doesn’t work on the car, for example, are the wipers, turn signal, lights, radio or heater blower working?

If we don’t hear back from you within 36 hours then we will assume either you are dead or you have fixed the fault.

Dec
Everything else works....blinkers, blower etc...Sounds crazy but I heard somewhere to dis-connect the battery and touch the cables together and re-connect...supposed to re-set everything?

Raining like crazy here so I havent ventured outside tonight at all !!

·
Registered
1996 C-220 W202 2.2L Auto Trans
18 Posts
immobilizer

the car came with the remote, as in the synchronize page, if the system is without power for more than a few minutes, it needs the remote to lock, unlock the system. You were lucky enough to never had to replace battery ect until now and so never knew you needed this. I laugh at my girl friend when she unlocks door with key after I lock it with the remote and it will crank and not start for her... she has since learned! Had this same issue come up when the positive post came loose and had to reset with remote.
Cheers!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the car came with the remote, as in the synchronize page, if the system is without power for more than a few minutes, it needs the remote to lock, unlock the system. You were lucky enough to never had to replace battery ect until now and so never knew you needed this. I laugh at my girl friend when she unlocks door with key after I lock it with the remote and it will crank and not start for her... she has since learned! Had this same issue come up when the positive post came loose and had to reset with remote.
Cheers!:thumbsup:

I don't know if my car came with a remote....I have never had one . I have only had the Valet key.The dealer says that the 1996 C220 came both ways with/without a remote. They also said the key was not chipped?
I'm thinking that maybe it did come with a remote but there is no way to find out.....unless I take it to the dealer for a scan or to have a flip key/remote made for it, and see if it will start.

I'm :cool:stumped

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
use the russian vin decoder site. itll tell you what the car came with or even the epc.

·
Registered
W202 C1997
301 Posts
If there is a key hole in the driver’s door then you definitely don’t have or need a flip out remote.
If you don’t need/have a flip out remote then unlocking with a metal key in door or trunk key hole should disarm the security.

An electrical fault somewhere, does the key turn a quarter turn in the door lock when you lock or unlock the door?

Dec

Is there a keyhole in the drivers door handle?

You can try that with the battery cables then leave the car battery disconnected for an hour.

Disconnect the Negative - terminal first, then Disconnect the Positive terminal last.
Reconnect the Positive + terminal first, and then Reconnect the Negative - terminal last.

Ensure that you can open the trunk with the key as you won’t have any battery power.

Dec

·
Registered
2003 ML320 1996 C220
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, after getting a flip key/remote made for my car.....got in and programmed the remote, locked/unlocked the door and the car started right up.

Apparently, the car did at some point have a remote...just glad to have it running again. It has the coldest air of any car I own and its 95 today !!!

thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 32 Posts