Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
C180 1996 Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just signed up to this very interesting place. So much info it's great!!

I have an odd issue with a C180 i recently purchased, so i hope you can give some advice :). For info, it's got a full service history and 138k on the clock.

I drove the car without any issues at all for a couple of weeks. I then thought i would try out the 'E' mode on the transmission. So i put it in Park, selected 'E', drove round, but didn't notice any difference at all. I tried it a couple of times without luck so just put it back into 'S' mode.

The next day while driving at around 45mph (in 4th) the box 'flared' and revved up as if it was in neutral. I let the car slow down a bit and selected '3' and carried on driving (somewhat slowly!!). Later that day I took the car out and it drove perfectly. Nice smooth changes all-round. A few hours later, took it out again and it started flaring between 3rd an 4th and my only option was to select '3'. While hot, i checked the trans fluid and it was slightly low (about 1 notch) so topped up with 250mls of Dexron fluid. Since then, it still flares between 3rd and 4th but it DOES go into 4th and stay there once the revs have dropped. With some practice, by reducing the gas i can get a reasonable gear change.

Having read a few threads already on here is would appear that i should check the valve and the bowden cable initially. I not very mechanically minded so it would need someone to do that for me!! :crybaby2: I'm also curious as to whether change from 'S' to 'E' etc (and it not working)... has somehow upset things? Would that give more of a clue to whats wrong, or is it just coincidence?

I would really appreciate any advice you have :)

Best Regards, Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guy;
Hope you have a nice ride;
for your fault; I think it is recommended to use a scanner to get the trouble code and see what to do with your mechanic...
it may be faulty speed sensor card or a solenoid
Good Day;

·
Registered
C180 1996 Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read on another forum that someone had used Economy mode for a while and when changing back to Standard, the tranny slipped a little but settled down back to normal after a while. So i'm wondering (hoping) that this is the case with my C180 anf that the fault could just be an adjustment somewhere. I have driven around 250 miles with the flare-then-change scenrio (3rd to 4th).

My knowledge of such things is very limited so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Best regards, Paul

·
Registered
C180 1996 Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guy;
Hope you have a nice ride;
for your fault; I think it is recommended to use a scanner to get the trouble code and see what to do with your mechanic...
it may be faulty speed sensor card or a solenoid
Good Day;
Thanks for your help, i will definitely do that!

I would be curious if anyone else has had this same problem.

Much appreciated.

Best Regards, Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts