Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, possible new owner here. Calling a guy about an sl600 tomorrow, He said new A/C and suspension, car is super clean. It has 73k on it. and all the maintenance records. Private owner, no doubt in my mind that it has been meticulously maintained.. I've done a lot of reading haven't found much other than the engine and transmission harness.. with 73k on it, at 10k a year for 4 years will put it around 113-116k...I knew the timing chain should be done at 90k and heard it's hard. I will definitely try to do it myself. What else should i expect other than brakes/tires/tune-up/fluids??

seems like this section is a little hard to search on so forgive me if I couldn't what i'm lookin for:surrender:

oh ya it's a '95 w. 73k on it. i believe anthracite gray exterior, gray interior...do these cars have the flip-up roll bars? Isn't shown in the pics but i love the look of them flipped-up with the top down

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys:(
I need to knock $2k off his asking price so I need some serious ballbusting potential problems:D
I'd rather have this mean @** sl600 than the sl500 i mean 390hp 410ft/lb:eek:

problems with cost to fix would help too. I don't want to nickle/dim him but a few definite possible problems over $1k should help

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
This isn't a pre'85 W126, you don't have to mess with the timing chain. Stretch is a total non issue by the 1990s in MB's and I have never heard of a chain breaking in any 129 ever. They're all double row and quite strong. The M120 is a solid motor, the only weak spot on the car are the roof cylinders and the suspension. See if any of the top cylinders are leaking, that's a good way to knock some momey off a purchase.

·
Registered
MB CLS550 -09, MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL, MB 170s, Austin Healey Sprite
831 Posts
As mentioned above:

Suspension valve leaking
Spheres for suspension
Engine Harnesses
Hydraulic top cylinders
Wear and tear on left side of drivers seat
Cracked plastic "fasterners" for blinds
Scratches underneath the front bumper
Ceramic catalytic converters

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
From another post I see you are under 20?
I know when I bought my 500sl I played the "poor college kid"... I did that when I bought my 65 mustang as well.... Seems to be a good buying tecnique. Try it out. Maybe with that, and the other possibilities mentioned you can knock 2k off. :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read the sl600 has 70 more hp than the sl500? is it noticeable? I read somewhere the sl600 isn't much faster than an sl500 which is hard to believe at nearly 400hp vs 320hp.

How much do engine harnesses cost to replace?

From another post I see you are under 20?
I know when I bought my 500sl I played the "poor college kid"... I did that when I bought my 65 mustang as well.... Seems to be a good buying tecnique. Try it out. Maybe with that, and the other possibilities mentioned you can knock 2k off. :)
yes 19, The car looks like it's been at a good home and sounds like he's done a couple thousand in work recently. If i can get him down to $9k ill drive up there with a certified check, test drive it,and take it home

The cats are a common failure, and very costly to replace.
thank you, price?

·
Registered
Mercedes 1998 SL600 R129 Mercedes 2001 E430 W210 1997 Renntech E60 Dodge 2006 Power Wagon
428 Posts
Thier is a noticable difference, both cars are extremely heavyfor their size. The SL600 is not that much heavier than the SL500.

·
Registered
Mercedes 1998 SL600 R129 Mercedes 2001 E430 W210 1997 Renntech E60 Dodge 2006 Power Wagon
428 Posts
Cats from the dealer can cost $1250 each plus labor, you can get aftermarket ones installed for cheaper, but they must be welded in.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could you just knock out all the inside of the cats? no emission testing in ohio. I'm worried of the cost of maintenance between 70-110k. I can do all the work and could afford to have the dealer do it but of course i don't want to pay out the ...

i guess i want to know what i can scare him down on price and what i can expect to pay from 70-110k.

·
Registered
428 Posts
These cars have post cat o2 sensors, so you cant hollow out the cat. Their is a fair chance they have already been replaced, I would check under the car and see. My 98 had them replaced at 60K

·
Registered
MB CLS550 -09, MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL, MB 170s, Austin Healey Sprite
831 Posts
True, O2 sensors located on front of the ceramic catalytic converters. I used to run with gutted ones for a year because they got clogged.
The car will run worse...
But that has nothing to do with the fact och removed cats. I has to do with the fact that you get two empty boxes that the exhausts bounce around in. I replaced mine with straight pipes in same dimension as the original ones and car ran a lot better.

Now I run Metallic core 200 CPI stainless race cats and passes emissions in Sweden:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE!!

checking this car out tomorrow:D

weather will be bad, but guy has been owner since '96 and has full records:thumbsup: will hopefully get it on the highway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts