Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a friend's housewarming this afternoon. Took my coupe. Another person brought his Bentley GT coupe. Parked it behind mine. Inside the house, he sought me out (we didn't know each other) and we talked cars.

My car is what I call 'pristine'. I took a well-cared for S600 coupe and brought it back to 'as new' condition, so I had good stock to begin with.

The other guy bought (actually leased) his car 'new' and his lease was coming due at the end of the year, so he was car-shopping.

With only 18,000 miles on his car, versus 120k on mine, we compared notes.

First off, the driver's seat on his car either needs to be replaced or completely reupholstered, the Connolly leather was too soft to hold up and showed significant wear at the entry edge. The wool carpeting also showed signs of wear that is out of place for the age of the car. And there was a split in the center console burl!

You could eat off my engine compartment, the Bentley's looked like it hadn't seen a cleaning since it was new, so that's maintenance.

He said the Bentley was running fine and I took his word at that.

When he asked what year my coupe was, he thought I told him it was an '05, not a 1995, because he said mine looked better than his at three years older. When I told him mine was at least 13 years older, he was blown away.

I was blown away by his car (and not in a good way), now coming off lease, that originally cost over $220k new, that looks like it's holding up poorly and will need a goodly amount of rehabilitation before it can be sold by the dealer as a certified pre-owned.

Looks like our cars are ever more dear than we even might think!

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts
Bentley and Rolls no longer have their own money... shame too, just copied branding and somebody else's technology and parts, that being BMW for the Rolls and VW for the Bentley. But I do get what you mean, at such a price it should be more durable. It's hard to build a once cherished/hand built vehicle one way when it's manufactured in another country..

One thing that the W140 history video explained was that it HAD to durable enough for daily use, was designed to be so, and they are, very durable!

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
bentley = vw

mb = mb :)

well at least ours. before the cancer chrysler came along

bentleys are great for show and tell when new. the vast majority of them don't see old age. for instance, connoli leather. that thing is heavenly but at the cost of durability. same for fancy materials like soft wood, wool carpeting, suede hl etc.

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
1,001 Posts
Well...if one has that kind of money to lease/buy a Bentley/Rolls/Lamborghini/Ferrari/Maserati, etc..why not! My neighbors bought a 2010 Ferrari a few days ago, other neighbor bought a 2010 Rolls...and here I am with my 92 500 SEL and 05 CL55 AMG and a dune buggy!
We'll see how the Ferrari is in 20 years vs a 20 year old Benz!

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
Hey now dont knock VW thay OWN Porsche and the ULTIMATE BUGATTI :thumbsup:
porsche has been fighting them all the way to keep it porsche over the years

and bugatti.. well... i wouldn't speculate. haven't actually touched one

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the more I see of other cars, the more I'm convinced we have a terrific car in the W140, with the proviso: As long as you keep them up.

At least you have to give Mercedes credit for creating a car with the ingredients to stand up to time, soy-based wiring harnesses notwithstanding.

Again: keeping our cars up as most of us here do can lead to them being around for quite awhile.

·
Registered
97 s500 Coupe Black,ECU Tune,Mag Muffler,20's
192 Posts
In my opinion most people only care about the outside looks of a car they dont do up keep on there cars no one takes pride in them any longer car companys know this and thats why they build them as such.Even in this forum most of the treads are about bling but not about up keep.I even have a tread here that what love did you give to your w140 today and it should be blown up daily and its not.Oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got to agree with you.

Who really cares about making a W140 low-rider, or putting inappropriate gee-gaws on the W140? They defeat the purpose of the design and the car in general. 22" wheels? Are you kidding me?

I guess that speaks to the low price of W140 husks today more than the inherent value MB created with these cars.

Bottom line: our cars are holding up quite well, even when compared to the boutique manufacturers who should be supplying a superior product.

And that, I find surprising!

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
his bentley continental could look "poorly" to you, but today in that "poor" condition still costs 25-30 times more than your car. not trying to burst your bubble, just giving the facts.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I dont get the calling Bentley the same as VW.

The Bentley looked like crap cause he never took care of it... the leather is supposed to be treated. bentley's paint is so soft you can not take it through a car-wash and have to be careful how you wash it. They're good cars my brother has a 2008 continental gt that has 50k on it and is mint. exotic cars maintenance really isn't that bad, he spends 1-5k a year on it and drives the crap out of it. my dad bought an '02 lamborghini with 5k on it for 100k. people still think it's brand new and he told me he spends about 1k on it a year but drives it for 5 months of a year.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
To Tirona's point: And isn't that a hoot?

I mean, if I were a seller, which I'm not, that might be a factor but as an owner, which is the better value for utility? Mine, or his? Which will hold up longer? Last more miles? Stand the test of time, which the w140 already has?

And in the end, isn't that what you want a car for?

I don't look at cars as though they're baseball cards, to be traded. I use them, I enjoy them, they serve different purposes at different times.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I dont get the calling Bentley the same as VW.

The Bentley looked like crap cause he never took care of it... the leather is supposed to be treated. bentley's paint is so soft you can not take it through a car-wash and have to be careful how you wash it. They're good cars my brother has a 2008 continental gt that has 50k on it and is mint. exotic cars maintenance really isn't that bad, he spends 1-5k a year on it and drives the crap out of it. my dad bought an '02 lamborghini with 5k on it for 100k. people still think it's brand new and he told me he spends about 1k on it a year but drives it for 5 months of a year.
+1 on the leather, I've seen some older Bentleys which are holding up well.

That being said, who wants a car you have to handle with kid gloves? In my mind cars are for driving. But I guess some of the higher end cars get more like art, only to be taken out every now and then.

·
Registered
93 500 sel - 95 s500
612 Posts
To bad he did not own a Brooklands, now that would be an interesting comparison!
The GT is the Camery of Bentley. I mean this in terms of numbers built and the time taken to assemble one unit.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
To Tirona's point: And isn't that a hoot?

which is the better value for utility? Mine, or his? Which will hold up longer? Last more miles? Stand the test of time, which the w140 already has?

And in the end, isn't that what you want a car for?

I don't look at cars as though they're baseball cards, to be traded. I use them, I enjoy them, they serve different purposes at different times.
it's an EXOTIC CAR for a reason. people buy/drive them typically as a status symbol, some for performance. they were never and will never be designed as a daily driver so "utility" and "durability" don't matter especially if you can AFFORD one. the guy splurged on an exotic car and never took care of it, some people are dumb like that.

I know a fair amount of Aston Martin, lamborghini, and Ferrari owners and the are by far more reliable then any other car on the market. I've by far seen/heard of more high mileage Lambo's. on the lamborghini forum one guy had 215k on the clock with no engine/trans problems at all, just fluids,clutch's, tires, brakes, tune ups. One of my buddys is over and gave me a run down on his '03 murcielago 50k on clock.truly amazing car

3- 15k mile services- $21k
2- brake jobs- $4k
16-oil changes- $6.4

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, your message is stay away from exotic cars for daily driving, I get that.

But Bentley and RR aren't exotics in that sense, they're designed to be driven every day.

Ok, maybe by guys in Palm Beach wearing white patent leather shoes and the belt to match, but they're supposed to be daily drivers. just didn't look that way to me after seeing one on the road for 3-years and only 18k miles.

Audi's influence at Lamborghini was to create a driveable car suited to daily driving. Maybe not for carrying much more than a sixpack, but that's another story.

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts

Take a stab.

I'll take the Engineering of the Merc.

Brooklands on the other hand, oh my :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
YouTube - 2007 Bentley Continental GT vs. 2007 Mercedes-Benz CL600

Take a stab.

I'll take the Engineering of the Merc.

Brooklands on the other hand, oh my :)
The front ends and interior are so killer but i personally don't like the rear end on them. CL600's have a weird top end speed. theres a video comparing it to an m3 i believe on youtube it gets blown away off the line but from 20 or 30mph it beats it. weird.

So, your message is stay away from exotic cars for daily driving, I get that.

But Bentley and RR aren't exotics in that sense, they're designed to be driven every day.

Ok, maybe by guys in Palm Beach wearing white patent leather shoes and the belt to match, but they're supposed to be daily drivers. just didn't look that way to me after seeing one on the road for 3-years and only 18k miles.

Audi's influence at Lamborghini was to create a driveable car suited to daily driving. Maybe not for carrying much more than a sixpack, but that's another story.
The guy with the trashed bentley is just someone who took a crap on his car and never cleaned it. Anyone can make any car look bad. probably changed oil once. he's going to take one in *** when the inspect it. he leased it too, so most likely not his daily driver since their mileage allowances are always low. I wonder what his down payment was $10k?? and probably like $1k a month.

Living in the northeast near me I don't see how you expect someone to drive a Bentley year round. hell my durango has rust bubbling already. even in the southern states slush,hail, rain should keep an exotic off the road. hell if people with corvettes don't drive in the rain should a car three to four times as expensive be in the rain.

my $100mill lottery car list: {the first 4 would be plenty}

rebuilt 500 sec euro<- got it
71 lt1 corvette
69 gto
Murcielago Laborghini
Porsche cayenne turbo
Bentley continental
Range Rover
1993 cobra r
911 GT3 RS

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
his bentley continental could look "poorly" to you, but today in that "poor" condition still costs 25-30 times more than your car. not trying to burst your bubble, just giving the facts.
so does a 2008 cl600

your point?

at 12 years old they both cost the same: nothing

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
so does a 2008 cl600

your point?

at 12 years old they both cost the same: nothing
this thread started as a comparison between a 2008 bentley continentanl gt and a 1995 s600 coupe. no where op mentioned 2008 cl600.

your point?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts