43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my carto the dealer for a safety inspection:

Results are:

Tune Up
Serpentine belt
Rear Barkes

I wanna do these thing myself.

What do i need to do a tune up? (wires, filters, etc..)
How easy is it to do the serp belt?

·
Registered
93 300se, 94 s420, 98 s420, 95 s500, 97 s500, 96 s320w, 96s320, 99 s420
603 Posts
I took my carto the dealer for a safety inspection:

Results are:

Tune Up
Serpentine belt
Rear Barkes

I wanna do these thing myself.

What do i need to do a tune up? (wires, filters, etc..)
How easy is it to do the serp belt?

all those thing are bread and butter .. very easy.. and if you want to take my advice never take the car to the dealer,, them guys will do anything to rip you off. and i assumed to do all that job [parts and labor you got estimated around $1500-2000 huh??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes they tried to rape me...I wanna know what do I need to do the job...I'm new to this and wannna order the parts online...

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
AZautoHaus .com is a great source, basic parts for tune up are spark plus and possibly coils, if your car is not misfiring, I wouldnt bother personally. the dealer tends to do preventive maintenance with like 20% left in the part; the exact same way Epson and HP recomend you to replace your ink with no less than 10% left in it (god forbid you run out of ink while you are printing something)... Its just a marketing scheme to make you buy ink and service your car more often.

obviously, you need to apply your best judgement about what to replace when, while its okay to wait for the ignition parts to break before you replace them (the car will misfire for thousands of miles before it actually breaks down), something like the serpentine belt will need to be replaced before it fails (if it actually fails, your car is dead within 2 miles or less).

you know what I mean...

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
the exact same way Epson and HP recomend you to replace your ink with no less than 10% left in it (god forbid you run out of ink while you are printing something)... Its just a marketing scheme to make you buy ink and service your car more often.
Just good target marketing - anybody dumb enough to buy a manufacturer ink cartridge would be likely be vulnerable to a suggestion that it be replaced before it was empty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts