Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to post in this section, so here goes:

Hey everyone.

My dad has a 1995 Mercedes S-500 that's having over-heat issues. Now he has taken it to Mercedes shops, to local shops, each time paying the 75-150/hour to just inspect and is getting tired of doing so because no one can find a problem. However, when hes driving on a warmer day here in California for more than 20-30 minutes, the overheat gauge comes on the dashboard and sends the car into overheating. He has to pull over let it sit. The other day, he found lots of coolant he believe under the car after leaving it parked for several minutes.

No one can figure out what the heck it is, but if anyone has any ideas on what he should check, that would be huge. Please let me know and I'll forward the message. Thanks!

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
have you done a pressure test on the radiator? also how fresh was the coolant? thermostat replaced? waterpump condition?

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
I don't think that there's an overheat light that comes on, so I'm thinking that maybe it's the coolant level light coming on. That might be a sign that it's boiling over and the coolant tank cap would be a suspect. Fan clutch and a radiator that's not flowing well are other common failures. Without knowing what the shops were checking and replacing, it's really hard to say.

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
Surprised nobody can figure this out!...Like all automotive Mechanical issues (as opposed to complex electronic faults) it should be a process of elimination using trusted fault finding techniques that any good motor mechanic should be able to fathom out.

You havn't given all the symptoms but (and in no particular order) if it is overheating on warmer days, check your electric fans/viscous fan is working correctly, check thermostat...if you think you have a coolant leak, get the system pressurised and look for leaks.
Have you any oil in water or water in the oil ?...have a test done for early head gasket failure!

Drain the coolant and flush out the system before re-filling, you may have a blockage!

These things are usually found quickly by a competent technician!!!....Simple things such as a faulty Rad' cap or even the radiator fins being full of crap can be the culprit.

Good luck.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
Viscous fan is the 1st thing i would check,the waterpump and radiator that it is not clogged up ,make sure the right amount of coolant is in the engine ,to much and you overheat quickly ,best to add less than to much ,if there is a strong smell of coolant without leaks ,you got to much of it in .Check that all your relays are in working order as well ,i'm not to sure if that has anything to do with the problem you have but just take a look below .
To me it seams strange that if it is anything like mentioned above that an MB or any mechanic would'nt be able to spot the problem specially within the cooling of an engine . I cant understand why you pay for without any conclusion ,what kind of mechanics are you going to ,just to take a look & thank you $$$$$$$$ ?,i would blast them back & forward .
Check the link below :
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1654640-s420-overheating-issue.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 S320 SWB, 1997 S420 LWB
192 Posts
Coolant leak most likely weep hole from water pump. It's hard to see the leak but I just fixed this in my 95 s320. The weep hole has a small hose that drains on the side of the block when the water pump fails. I'm not saying thats the only place it can leak but usually when the mechanic can't find the leak its usually not a hose. a hose leaking is easy to see. Cheap fix less than $200 for new water pump and an easy DIY. I would change the thermostat while at it and the tensioner plus shock and new belt.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,423 Posts
Imagine that, going to several "Mercedes mechanics" and not finding the problem.

Take your car to a Mercedes dealer, have them tell you EXACTLY what's wrong, have them charge you to fix the problem at a reasonable rate and be done with it. Why guess when you can easily get the answer from the dealership? Bonus: They guarantee their work!! They don't solve the problem, you simply bring the car back and they fix it again, for free!

Stop with the whining when you have the ability to get an answer to your problem quickly and easily.

And don't listen to the horse's asses that are afraid of the dealership and will advise to do anything BUT go to the dealership. They are simply wrong. And you've just proven it. What folly, NOT to use the dealership!

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
456 Posts
Plus what Stryker forgot to mention is, unlike most independent mechanics, they have their own rentals for you to use while your car is in for service regardless of repair time. I can also second him on their work guarantee. I had to have my car in for a bunch of minor repairs, some of which weren't solved properly, so I took the car back and they fixed it correctly free of charge. I know they charge more than most independent shops, but you get OEM parts and a technician that has been trained to work on Mercedes vehicles, and they will fix it properly, whether it takes one visit or three. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts