Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts
I am assuming your engine turns, but does not fire. I have a 1995 MB S420 as well, with 74,000 miles, and it did the same thing, but All I had to do was wait about a minute. It then started, but hesitated a bit until it warmed up completely. So, I simply changed my spark plugs from Bosch Super to Bosch Platinum +4 #4418 and presto, it started running like magic. No hesitation, no problems. How long has it been since you changed your plugs. If they are non platinum, they need to be changed every 30,000 miles. The reason I say Platinum+4 is because I have had these in my other car for over 80,000 miles and I inspect them every year, and they never seem to wear out. I think your plugs are worth a try.
Does anyone know why a 1995 S420 can start kind of like choking and then stalls especially when cold? Then it only starts again in about 15 minutes.

Thanks!

· Registered
280Sw116/380SELw126
341 Posts
My car does the exact opposite! It starts in a snap when the engine is cold and has troub...

My car does the exact opposite! It starts in a snap when the engine is cold and has trouble starting up again once it is warmed up! I have to hold down the key and pump the gas a couple times to make it start again! The engine cranks about 5 seconds, sometimes a little longer until I hear it catch. Could this also be a simple spark plug replace? I know this is the w140 forum, [ not w126 ] but this post made me bend the rules a little.
[^]

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts
Re: My car does the exact opposite! It starts in a snap when the engine is cold and has troub

It could be the plugs, but I do not think so. However, it does not hurt to change them if you have had them for over 30K miles, or don't know how long they have been in there. I think when you may have a bad fuel pump that may be pumping fuel after you shut it off, thereby flooding your engine, and also fouling the plugs, thereby taking longer to start back up.

My car does the exact opposite! It starts in a snap when the engine is cold and has trouble starting up again once it is warmed up! I have to hold down the key and pump the gas a couple times to make it start again! The engine cranks about 5 seconds, sometimes a little longer until I hear it catch. Could this also be a simple spark plug replace? I know this is the w140 forum, [ not w126 ] but this post made me bend the rules a little.
[^]

· Registered
420 SEL (1989), 190 E (1990)
442 Posts
I would suggest the following.
When you try to start the car again and it does not want t...

I would suggest the following.
When you try to start the car again and it does not want to start, don't attempt to start it and take off the air filter assembly and pour a teaspoon of gasoline into the intake manifold (byu moving the flap thingy) Then go back and try to start the car, if it starts right up then there is not enough fuel, which means it could probably be the fuel pump check valves. However if it does not start after the addition of gasoline then it means you have too much fuel and it could be the injectors.
Hope this helps
Sohaib

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.