Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1995 mercedes s500 coupe

5001 Views 6 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
I am considering a 95 s500 coupe with 70k clicks on the odometer. I might add, one of the most stunning car I have ever laid eyes on. I didn't consider one until one of my buddy bought a 97 s500 black on black. What a beauty!! He installed 18 inch chrome wheels and it looks like a million dollars! My concern is obviously the ownership experience, and cost of ownership. Let me be reasonably fair here, I know that stepping into this plate is going to cost more then owning a toyota or honda. My concern is that will it really break the bank as far as service intervals, tune-ups, etc... is concern. One would one wonder a car that retails over $100k brand new should be built well enough to withstand the test of time. Any owners out there with comments (good or bad) would like to share in their experience on the car would be greatly appreciated.<p>Thanks a million,<br>Sonny
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
: I am considering a 95 s500 coupe with 70k clicks on the odometer. I might add, one of the most stunning car I have ever laid eyes on. I didn't consider one until one of my buddy bought a 97 s500 black on black. What a beauty!! He installed 18 inch chrome wheels and it looks like a million dollars! My concern is obviously the ownership experience, and cost of ownership. Let me be reasonably fair here, I know that stepping into this plate is going to cost more then owning a toyota or honda. My concern is that will it really break the bank as far as service intervals, tune-ups, etc... is concern. One would one wonder a car that retails over $100k brand new should be built well enough to withstand the test of time. Any owners out there with comments (good or bad) would like to share in their experience on the car would be greatly appreciated.<p>Thanks a million,<br>Sonny <p>I own/love one of these cars too. I think you're wise to consider the complications! By my count, there are about 96 controls which can be reached from the driver's seat.<p>To an engineer (very conservative thinking), that means that something is going to go wrong and it will take somebody smart to figure it out. Maybe I've been lucky, in that I've had no problems with my car other than the motor mounts. They were'nt cheap, but what the hey? Driving this car makes me feel like the king of somewhere, so it has been worth it. Sum of costs for the two engine mounts, plus one transmission mount was around $900. Not too bad for a 5 year old car.<p>Other than that, one set of tires.<p>Color me happy.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Expenses beyond 80,000miles

: I am considering a 95 s500 coupe with 70k clicks on the odometer. I might add, one of the most stunning car I have ever laid eyes on. I didn't consider one until one of my buddy bought a 97 s500 black on black. What a beauty!! He installed 18 inch chrome wheels and it looks like a million dollars! My concern is obviously the ownership experience, and cost of ownership. Let me be reasonably fair here, I know that stepping into this plate is going to cost more then owning a toyota or honda. My concern is that will it really break the bank as far as service intervals, tune-ups, etc... is concern. One would one wonder a car that retails over $100k brand new should be built well enough to withstand the test of time. Any owners out there with comments (good or bad) would like to share in their experience on the car would be greatly appreciated.<p>Thanks a million,<br>Sonny <p>From Giff - I have a 1993 300SE with 103,000 miles -mostly long distance driving. Between 80,000 and 102,000, I've had a lot of expensive maintenance--head gasket,a/c control unit,a/c evaporator(must tear out entire dash) ESP control, cruise control, water pump,drive shaft bearing,throttle control,overhead console control unit--all well over $10,000. Despite these entraordinary expenses--I really like the car and plan to drive it as long as I can--they don't make these big S class models any more. Hope you don't experience my difficulties----GIFF

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I traded my 1999 S420 for my 2000 CL500. I miss my S420, and wish I had kept it and sold my BMW 740. With the exception of the upcoming Maybach, you will not see a car built like the W140 chassis again. The W140 competes with a Rolls-Royce to my eyes. Truly majestic, and feeling like you got what you paid for. That said, I know the repairs on these cars can break the bank, so unless you have a large disposable income, you might consider this. What you could do is what people who own light piston aircraft do. For each hour of flight, they pay "themselves" into an account for the eventual repairs that will be needed. Even doing that makes the car worthwhile. I love that car, and as I said, I truly miss my S420.<p><br>: I am considering a 95 s500 coupe with 70k clicks on the odometer. I might add, one of the most stunning car I have ever laid eyes on. I didn't consider one until one of my buddy bought a 97 s500 black on black. What a beauty!! He installed 18 inch chrome wheels and it looks like a million dollars! My concern is obviously the ownership experience, and cost of ownership. Let me be reasonably fair here, I know that stepping into this plate is going to cost more then owning a toyota or honda. My concern is that will it really break the bank as far as service intervals, tune-ups, etc... is concern. One would one wonder a car that retails over $100k brand new should be built well enough to withstand the test of time. Any owners out there with comments (good or bad) would like to share in their experience on the car would be greatly appreciated.<p>Thanks a million,<br>Sonny <p>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
: I am considering a 95 s500 coupe with 70k clicks on the odometer. I might add, one of the most stunning car I have ever laid eyes on. I didn't consider one until one of my buddy bought a 97 s500 black on black. What a beauty!! He installed 18 inch chrome wheels and it looks like a million dollars! My concern is obviously the ownership experience, and cost of ownership. Let me be reasonably fair here, I know that stepping into this plate is going to cost more then owning a toyota or honda. My concern is that will it really break the bank as far as service intervals, tune-ups, etc... is concern. One would one wonder a car that retails over $100k brand new should be built well enough to withstand the test of time. Any owners out there with comments (good or bad) would like to share in their experience on the car would be greatly appreciated.<p>Thanks a million,<br>Sonny <p>I've just bought one also and I love it. You DO get your money's worth and that W140 cpe chassis is very unique, never to be seen again! <br>Consider purchasing a two year maintanence contract for about $2500. That will cover you. <p>Personally, my car was checked carefully and it's in great shape. Yes, I put brakes, washer motor, fix the oil sender leak, but nothing major. You'll find that the V8 (S500) engine is more reliable than the 6 cyclinder (S300). They leak more from the front seals and main seals. Check my car out at: <br>http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_S500.html <p>Regards . . . Jim

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am very interested in the 1995 s500 coupe<br> and can pick one up with 60K miles, 2 year<br> MB warranty for about $32K. Comments? A guy with an $800 / mth lease wants out. I don't want the lease, just the car. My concern is perhaps it is a bit high, but I like that warranty as protection for repair costs.<br> <br> Thanks<br> <br> P<p>HSE-Toronto-ppp182789.sympatico.ca

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Expenses beyond 80,000miles A/C

Hi<br>
92`500sel 45,000mls A/c just stopped working...can here usual popping sound when I switch on and temp wheels and all the buttons seem to create the right noises from behind the dash but no blower and no air getting into the car at all....it's bloody cold over here..UK!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.