Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 G-320
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure it doesn't surprise you, but I like the upgrade to the G much better than my Isuzu. I'm still keeping the Isuzu on the road to keep the miles off my beloved G and for those times where I have to park in the city.

I know I'm displaying all of the signs of a man in a mid-life crisis, but I just happened to get a good deal on the Jeep and it came with stock and monster tires. I needed it to plow and for $1500 more...I got all the extras.

I don't mind scratching the 1982 CJ7 off-road, but the 1995 G320 is going to have to wait to get beat on.

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
Whats the difference in reality between the G and the Isy.
UK wise the difference doesnt seem that much to look at hpow do you rate the collection you have and what wins out.

Dave

·
Registered
1995 G-320
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The difference between the G and Isuzu is floating over bumps versus bouncing around in a rattling, rusted tin can.

Isuzu's, especially in New England, are notorious for rusting out because of the salt we use to melt the ice on the roads in the Winter. Most of them don't look half as good as mine (which is rusting inside and out).

I bought the Isuzu with about 60K miles on it in 1993. I've re-done the body once (cut out the rust on the body panels) and painted it. Different segments of the exhaust gets replaced about every two years or more.

I have 4 wd in all of my vehicles because I have a steep icy driveway in the Winter, and really like to be able to get to wherever I want at any time. I don't really take the trails often, but if I did, the G clearance is much better. I'd smack the oil pan on the Isuzu at least 2 or 3 times more than I ever would in the G.

I used to call my Isuzu my "poor man's Range Rover". The nice thing about it being cheap and rusty is that the taxes are low and it was paid for. There are plenty of spare parts in the junkyard next door to my house, and it actually has a GMC (American/Canadien) engine.

It was a good family car that I've only had to call a tow truck for about three times. The engine was rebuilt top and bottom at about 140K two Summer's ago and now has 167K. Its got great payload in cubic feet...but so does the G (which has those jump seats to make it a 7 passenger vehicle compared to a 5 passenger of the Isuzu. One of the great points about the Isuzu was that we could fit a large goat in the back to take it to the vet because he had a botched horn that needed to be trimmed every two months. We used to pack a ton of gear every time we went on vacation with the kids to the beach and needed extra room for portable cribs and things.

The interior is not durable in the Isuzu either. My boys have managed to destroy the rear map pockets with their feet while in their car seats. The G is much more solid and I'm sure offers much more crash protection.

The Isuzu is also an automatic and 6 cylinder. I doubt the gas mileage is much different. Every once in awhile the transmission dash light flashes and the transmission disengages. I've never figured out what the problem is but I know if you shut down the ignition, then restart, it usually takes care of it.

Now the Jeep CJ7 seems like it will go over anything...but a lot of that has to do with the 360 cubic inch AMC V8 bored 60 over for about 400 hp with a 4spd manual transmission. I was simply looking for a Jeep that wouldn't rust out too soon and the going rate seemed to be about $5,000. I came across this one for $6500 and its incredible.

I'll actually have to take off the big tired to plow mostly because I lose too much turning radius. I need some manueverability to get in some tight spots to plow out the farm, my helicopter pad and to get on the ice to plow for hockey in January/February.

I have only gone off road with it a couple of times and nothing too extreme. I needed to replace the steering box when I bought it, and now I need to get some aftermarket parts because the steering box bracket flexes at the extreme radius positions.

Its got all of the beefed up brakes, etc. that most kids don't do when they just put on a 9" suspension lift and huge tires. I've heard that this jeep has won several hill climbing awards. It even has a tach with an adjustable shifting indicator (light). It works out great because I don't want to scratch my G.

The plan is to keep the Isuzu in service until the frame lets go. Then put the miles on the G as the family car. I also have a 1988 Toyota Xtra cab V6 that takes lots of farm abuse (pulls a 7000lb dump trailer for horse shavings). When the G gets tired or I catch up on some bills, I'll look for a better condition G for the family/luxury use and then use the old G for off-road and/or daily beater.

If I had to make a gut comparison of the G vs. the Jeep I'd have to say that they would be very close. The Jeep definetly has a shorter wheelbase, but its very specialized. I think the G would almost go over as much as the Jeep, and still be able to pull onto the highway and run a smooth 85MPH.

I do like my G, but it could use a 8 cylinder engine, only becuase its so heavy and the acceleration is poor. But...at 40... I've been taking my time and enjoying the ride.

Matt

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
Interesting reply to the G versus others , sonds apretty usefull life led by all vehicles.

Thanks for this worthwile natter.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts