Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can I ask what mileage everyone is getting purely city driving in your e320 wagon. Mine:
Rooftop bike rack
Riding on 16x7 225 [email protected]
New injectors, fuel relay,air filter, copper sparks& wires, oil change& filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid&filter, o2 sensor(bosche), coolant sensor, thermostat, air intake sensor.
Everything is running tip top as far as I can tell.

Getting 15mpg. Is that normal?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
That is low, so no not normal. M104 should net low to mid 20's.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Can I ask what mileage everyone is getting purely city driving in your e320 wagon. Mine:
Rooftop bike rack
Riding on 16x7 225 [email protected]
New injectors, fuel relay,air filter, copper sparks& wires, oil change& filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid&filter, o2 sensor(bosche), coolant sensor, thermostat, air intake sensor.
Everything is running tip top as far as I can tell.

Getting 15mpg. Is that normal?
not normal at all, you should be getting in the 20's... could be a number of things... perhaps you drive like a crazy person?

EDIT: 500th post :D

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Your fuel efficiency depends a lot more on how aggressive you are as a driver, whether or not you are doing urban or highway driving, and how well maintained your vehicle is.

Using a few simple hypermiling techniques can boost your fuel efficiency significantly.

Slow down.
Don't accelerate harshly.
Try to get to and stay in top gear as long as possible.
Avoid stopping and starting.
Take freeways more frequently and avoid stop/ start environments or hilly environments.
If you do have to drive in stop/ start environments ten make a deliberate effort to leave a large gap between you and the vehicle in front of you in order to not have to brake and accelerate as frequently.

I get between 15 and 30 mpg in my car in my normal daily driving. The lower number when i'm being a lot less "responsible."

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Shivastar, I see that you're in Walnut Creek. Coincidentally that's where my recently acquired 1991 300TE 4Matic came from. I think it left CA in very late 2009/very early 2010.

The car is black pearl with a black tex interior and later 8-hole alloys. About 190k miles. Oh, it has a blacked out grill and grill shell.

Know anything about this car? (I have no idea of how big or spread out Walnut Creek is.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Also depends on trip length and ambient temps.
I have a 7 minute commute, so my cars get horrible MPG, because they never "warm up". I'm getting around 16-17, and it will get worse once the temperature drops and we get into winter. It means more frequent oil changes, and I have to remember to get on the highway once a week to strech its legs.

On a positive note, with just shy of 240K, the car uses a quart every 12k miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I gotta echo humblejoe here, I get about 17mpg city driving on my short commute. I routinely get 26 - 29 on the highway though.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I get 20mpg with my 4matic in town....but we don't really have 'traffic', by a city persons definition.:D {m103}

And on the hwy 22-23, unless it's really mountainous.....like when I'm going snowboarding and if so, I'm so happy anyway I don't care.:p

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Shivastar, I see that you're in Walnut Creek. Coincidentally that's where my recently acquired 1991 300TE 4Matic came from. I think it left CA in very late 2009/very early 2010.

The car is black pearl with a black tex interior and later 8-hole alloys. About 190k miles. Oh, it has a blacked out grill and grill shell.

Know anything about this car? (I have no idea of how big or spread out Walnut Creek is.)
Interesting grill trim....is that aftermarket, or did someone rough down the chrome and paint?:confused: I don't know if I like that look on a 4matic...now if it was some bad-ass AMG Hammer wagon, sure!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
I don't like the blacked out look of the grill shell. I already have another (very nice) junkyard score to install on the 91. Kind of dumb, though, since the hood has some decent size dents and I will probably replace that. Gotta find a paint code 199 U-Pull-It car though...

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did look at that wagon Augupfel! Back in August, but found my black E320 wagon instead. I really wanted the 4-Matic but couldn't turn down the deal I got. When I looked at it it seemed to be in good condition. How did she turn out?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay replaced fuel lines. also forgot to mention that the Harness was replaced as well but I don't think that would have an effect on economy. Now all that's left is a possible MAF replacement. Can those go out of whack without a code?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I don't like the blacked out look of the grill shell. I already have another (very nice) junkyard score to install on the 91. Kind of dumb, though, since the hood has some decent size dents and I will probably replace that. Gotta find a paint code 199 U-Pull-It car though...
Wish you were closer, 'cause I'd let you have my old one...though it needs paint.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Shivastar, you looked at my wagon *where* in August of *what year*? What was the selling party asking? Remember a name or parital name? Did you drive it? Impressions (if you did)?

The car made its way to Harrisburg, PA and that's where the guy that I bought it from got it. The rear axle assembly is toast, making awful noises, and the transmission won't shift out of second gear. It seems that you made the right choice, LOL. Serial numbers on the transmission indicate that it is not the original one.

The car will be a project for me. I got the tach to work (replaced it), installed new air cleaner mounts, installed a used fan shroud, etc. Next I will swap in a used diff assembly and then it's on to transmission diagnosis. It may cost me a grand or two but it's worth it to me. A rust free 124 wagon is a rarity around here.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
It's not doing it for me either....I thought I might like the gloss black. I think on a white car it would work though?

Kevin

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shivastar, you looked at my wagon *where* in August of *what year*? What was the selling party asking? Remember a name or parital name? Did you drive it? Impressions (if you did)?

The car made its way to Harrisburg, PA and that's where the guy that I bought it from got it. The rear axle assembly is toast, making awful noises, and the transmission won't shift out of second gear. It seems that you made the right choice, LOL. Serial numbers on the transmission indicate that it is not the original one.

The car will be a project for me. I got the tach to work (replaced it), installed new air cleaner mounts, installed a used fan shroud, etc. Next I will swap in a used diff assembly and then it's on to transmission diagnosis. It may cost me a grand or two but it's worth it to me. A rust free 124 wagon is a rarity around here.
Augupfel:
I saw the car in August of 2009. I forgot the name as it was so long ago but as I recall he was asking $5000. I test drove it and remember the 4-matic light was on which was going to be fixed by the seller. Also, needed suspension work. The reverse was also starting to slip and the seller was going to put in a new trans from Peter Schmidt Transmission. I don't know what you got it for but if it half that even with the work you have to do it is quite a good specimen.

Suneet

1 - 20 of 23 Posts