Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My high beam were working intermittently and now completely stopped. The reason I say this is my High beam light signal in the dashboard used to Flicker. I used it like this for 2 or 3 months and now high beams are gone out completely.

My Low Beams are working Fine. My Fog Lights are working fine.

1)I have checked the fuse and it is fine.

2) I have checked the Bulbs on the Driver's side and it is fine. Did not check the passenger side.

3) My turn signals stopped working and I have replaced the Multi Relay last month and now turn signals are working fine. The reason I put this here is to show that my faulty combination relay was replaced.

Is there a relay that I need to check? I would appreciate any help with this problem.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
My high beams would not flash when I pulled back on the stalk but would work when I set them to be on all the time. I ended up replacing the stalk and they worked again, probably wouldn't hurt to check there also.

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
16,418 Posts
^^^

I agree. The combination indicator switch can fail in different ways. This is probably one way.

·
Registered
1995 E320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks. I do not think it's very expensive item. Also, do you agree this can be done in-house instead of paying $70/hour to someone?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ok thanks. I do not think it's very expensive item. Also, do you agree this can be done in-house instead of paying $70/hour to someone?
To buy it new its about $150, iirc, but finding a good used one shouldn't be an issue, check ebay. Installing it is not that hard of a DIY, you just need to remove some of the trim around it. I am going to change the cruise control stalk in my 300te tomorrow so I will take some pictures of the removal process for you.

·
Registered
1995 E320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you sir! I will wait for your pictures to post over here and do appreciate your help with this issue.

I have noticed eBay has quite a few for sale for decent $$ and I will keep my eyes on them.

·
Registered
'95 E 220 Convertible
295 Posts
Hey people, old topic, but I dont want to open the new thread.

So basically my high beams stopped working when I put them on constant. If I do it manually, ie pull the lever on me, they are fine, but when I push the lever to have constant high beams, nothing happening. So you thin time to change the whole lever ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yep, sounds like it, thats the exact issue I had. I never did get around to changing mine before I sold the car though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fix for this.

Hey guys! New to forum and MB's in general. Work in Computers now, but started out life as an auto mechanic. The multi-function stalk issue is common on older cars. I just bought a 94 e320 this weekend that was having this exact issue. All you need to fix it is a small flat tip, and a can of WD-40. Use the flat tip to pop off the little cover, liberally spray the wd40 in there, work the switch back on forth several times, spray some more, work in around again. And boom, it will work. The contacts just get dirty. My high beams work fine now.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,837 Posts
Hey guys! New to forum and MB's in general. Work in Computers now, but started out life as an auto mechanic. The multi-function stalk issue is common on older cars. I just bought a 94 e320 this weekend that was having this exact issue. All you need to fix it is a small flat tip, and a can of WD-40. Use the flat tip to pop off the little cover, liberally spray the wd40 in there, work the switch back on forth several times, spray some more, work in around again. And boom, it will work. The contacts just get dirty. My high beams work fine now.
Eerrr. . . no. That's just a band aid fix.

The REAL fix is replacement.

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon,'71 250C(For Sale!)
247 Posts
Eerrr. . . no. That's just a band aid fix.

The REAL fix is replacement.
But I liked the "boom" part. :wink

I am having the issue with the flashing of the hi beams; was intermittently working and now stopping altogether. The constant on hi beam(stalk forward) works okay so far.

I will do the trick until by X-Mas bonuses kick in or pillage one from a JY.

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon & '98 BMW M3
501 Posts
If it's just the flash high-beam function that isn't working… then replace the stalk. For the amount of work to pull the airbag, steering wheel, lower knee bolster, etc… might as well and do it once. They go for ~$100. I'd rather live with a non-functioning flash function, save $100 and do the job once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts