Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E320
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Nice new site. It must be a while since I've been here because I almost thought I was in the wrong place. I'm having electrical issues with my 1995 e320. Few weeks back all the windows suddenly stopped working. Fuses were fine. Cleaned off the connections to the fuse box and that seemed to do the trick. Then few days ago, the same problem appears again, but this time the wipers and seat controls are also out. Again the fuses are fine. Any thoughts? I'll have a closer look this weekend, but wanted to know where to start.

Thanks!

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,920 Posts
Define "fuses are fine". Unless you have upgraded to the newer styles copper core ceramic style fuses such as those from Flosser, start there first.

A visual is not good enough when it comes to the fuses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few weeks back when the electrical issues started, was there some weather event that also happened? Big rainstorm perhaps? Just wondering if some water got in somewhere & is causing an intermittent short.

While replacing the fuses maybe check the relays as well? My windows on my 1995 E320 wagon are on two separate fuses so unlikely that all four windows wouldn’t be working suddenly if it was just fuses. Due to age, I’ve started hunting down the relays on my car so that I can replace them if I have a sudden problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E320
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sbaert and N3T!

I had another look this afternoon. I read somewhere that disconnecting the battery can help, so I gave it a try, and after reconnecting, all loads appear to be working! What does this mean? I'm glad to have everything working, but this is the second time now that the problem comes and goes, so I guess it will be back (or hopefully not)...

Also by the way, I tested all the relevant fuses for resistance and they each read 0 ohm, as expected. I did have 1 extra 20 A fuse, so I replaced that one on the wiper, but not sure this is actually the problem because as mentioned above. But just in case, I'll buy a bunch of new fuses and replace them. Is it worth upgrading the box to Flosser style? Regarding checking the relays, where are these located?

Also, no unusual weather or other obvious trigger. Only thing could be that the car is now being daily driven down a dirt road that can get a bit bumpy in places...

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,920 Posts
Yes, upgrade ALL fuses to the Flosser branded fuses. The generic ones are plastic made in China. Virtually guaranteed to melt your fusebox.

Ditto on the blower strip fuse on the driver side strut tower.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bumpy & old relays may not be ideal lol. Something may be getting jiggled out of contact .. somewhere. Intermittent failures are the hardest to isolate but rest assured at some point it’ll want your love and fail completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,186 Posts
If it's not a fuse issue, expect an errant, old relay. Also check your chassis grounds. I've seen cars so rusted on this forum that I honestly don't know how any of the electricals even work.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts