Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a working cali 1995 e320 w124 convertible.

Long story short, the top doesnt open but it sounds like it can close, or the gears make some noises when i try to close it when already closed.

I checked the led code, flashes 10 times. for cali, i believe this is a soft top error code. From my research, theres a dedicated panel by passengers footwell that has another box for reading codes.

Thats the extent of my car knowledge. I want to try resetting this error and seeing if it fixes. wasnt able to reset it using led button near battery. Will an obd1 reader reset it in passengers footwell?

Any idea why the error? i think the cylinders and hyradlics are good, but unsure.

the back headrests can go up and down.

Any cheap fix? Would i start by getting an obd1 reader and learning how to open passenger footwell?

Car has signs of rust, melted back seat from battery acid, seatbolts dont come forward, and the problem with the top. The driver side door doesnt close tight, water comes in at the top corner. Mold has emerged but I can clean easily if top comes down...

anyone wanna pick it up? $2.4k boston area?

Any decent ideas or solutions?

·
Premium Member
6,704 Posts
there's no OBD in the top system, and I doubt anyone has the special code reader harness to get the power top diagnostics anymore, as they only ever sold a few 1000 cabrios in the USA..

I'd already replaced all my hydraulic pistons after the first one had developed a weep (little drip), then a couple years later, this last rather wet winter, water was leaking in the back and getting under the back seat.... it caused several limit switches to fail, and also fried my top module. was a real pain to diagnose, luckily, my mechanic has the exact same model car, so was able to run tests on the two of them side by side to sort things out, and he had a third non-op cabriolet to steal parts off of..

the LED button in the engine compartment is just for ECM (engine control module) stuff. 10 blinks is something to do with the engine RPM signal defective.

the condition you describe your car, I would call past the point of no return, its a basket case that would take far more to repair than its worth.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
the LED button in the engine compartment is just for ECM (engine control module) stuff. 10 blinks is something to do with the engine RPM signal defective.
Correct... the LED and button in the engine compartment will ONLY show you fault codes from the DM (Diagnostic Module), which will only show you faults that have triggered a Check Engine light on the dash. Nothing else. You can have fault codes on the ECM and zero blinks on the LED underhood. You need a separate code reader, or digital scanner for full diagnostics.

That said, there actually is some OBD for the soft top and roll bar. This is tested at a separate location, X11/12 in the passenger footwell, using a hand-held blink code reader. See the last 2 pages of this document, note the diagram showing where to connect

http://124performance.com/docs/mb/diagnostics/DTC_List_W124_M104.pdf

You can buy or build the blinker box for ~$30 or so.

NOTE: This was posted in the V8 section. You're not going to get any views over here. This post should be in the main W124 forum here:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/

:eek

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
gsxr
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing