Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, is 1995 C36 (no ASR button) has LSD? If it doesn't, could take C230 LSD and install it to C36? Thanks.

·
Registered
450, 350 & 280 SLC (W107), 280TE (W123), C36 AMG (W202), Brabus B6S (W210)
107 Posts
Why do you think that ASR button in dash directly means LSD / no LSD? I have two C36, one with button, other without, but both have LSD. Better check it by VIN code. I think 100% of AMG cars has LSD, all I've seen had! At the same time ASR button in dash was extra option!

·
Registered
1993 Black 320CE with Brabus B6 tune, AMG Gen I kit and Aero II wheels
106 Posts
Why do you think that ASR button in dash directly means LSD / no LSD? I have two C36, one with button, other without, but both have LSD. Better check it by VIN code. I think 100% of AMG cars has LSD, all I've seen had! At the same time ASR button in dash was extra option!
Err, no C36s had an LSD, ever, nor do most AMGs apart from the R230 SL65, and as option packs in the current crop.

The best way to retro-fit an LSD into the C36 is find an old 190E cosworth diff and transfer the innards over.

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
ASR also incorporates ETS, the earliest system that will use the two rear wheel brakes to simulate a locked differential (or Limited Slip Differential, LSD) in addition to reduced motor power.

Turning off ASR on a car with ASR will retain ETS up to 80km/h.

·
Registered
Tercel
534 Posts
Err, no C36s had an LSD, ever, nor do most AMGs apart from the R230 SL65, and as option packs in the current crop.

The best way to retro-fit an LSD into the C36 is find an old 190E cosworth diff and transfer the innards over.

^^^ +1

Aside from SL65 and R230, no LSD on AMG models. This has been discussed
in mbworld and there is someone there that retrofitted his C43 with LSD

·
Registered
450, 350 & 280 SLC (W107), 280TE (W123), C36 AMG (W202), Brabus B6S (W210)
107 Posts
ASR also incorporates ETS, the earliest system that will use the two rear wheel brakes to simulate a locked differential (or Limited Slip Differential, LSD) in addition to reduced motor power.

Turning off ASR on a car with ASR will retain ETS up to 80km/h.
That's what I've wanted to say in my post!

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300e(sold), 1996 c36amg (modified)
163 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Black 320CE with Brabus B6 tune, AMG Gen I kit and Aero II wheels
106 Posts
Mine does. I do burn-outs all the time...Check-out my youtube video.
2 patches left on the ground & if you want more proof, I'll be
posting a new video soon...........

Here you go, scroll down to safety:

Mercedes-Benz C-Class: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article
The C36 absolutely does not have a mechanical LSD, either as standard or as an option. ETS trickery which I beleive is part of the ASR program (My C36 had ETS only) mimics a mechanical LSD by braking the spinning wheel allowing more power to be transferred to the wheel with grip.

In regards to that link you posted, while I don't know that much about it, ASD as I understand it is basically an electronic means of locking the diff, and I seem to remember reading it only works up to around 20kph which harldy makes it suitable as a mechanical LSD substitute. If you read said link closely it also only states the 4 cylinders came with ASD, mentions nothing about the C280 or C36. Does your car have an ASD light on the dash?

Also, look at it this way, why on earth would the "cheap" C36 have an LSD, when the more expensive E50 or E55 did not, neither did the later C43.

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Let me ask you guys something? Isn't LSD the same thing as POSITRACTION?
Basically, both wheels spin if you punch it?
Almost all the Benz's I've owned have had 1 wheel peel (only one wheel spins if
you floor it).....for example: 1999 C230, 1993 190E, 1990 300CE..........
My C36 has an ASR button on the dash & when you floor it, the ASR prevents
the car from peeling out & controls the car's power so you don't lose control. Once
ASR is turned off (yellow triangle lit on dash) the cars power is at your disposal.
(drifting, burn outs etc...) Well atleast this is with my C36.
Wheather this is considered LSD or ETS or ESP.....lol....I'm not going to sit here and
argue with anybody. I will always enjoy & be completely satified with the power
my 1995 C36 puts out......................

"No dis-respect to anyone"! :)

quote:"Also, look at it this way, why on earth would the "cheap" C36 have an LSD, when the more expensive E50 or E55 did not, neither did the later C43. "

Why would you consider C36 as being "cheap"?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts