Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thet temp have been about 5 the last week.. car started hard this morning but got it running kid got it to school but after school it only cranks it did fire once or twice but went back to only cranking.. thought about tring starting fluid but do ya spray in the maf of the air filter?
thanx for any help or ideas

all fluids are to level

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
It all sounds temperature related.

Did the car start once the engine had cooled again? i.e. After the school run?

I don't know whether your particular model is equipped with a crankshaft position sensor but I'm working on the theory that it might be faulty.

If you have an OBDI code reader see if you can extract any codes during the 'no-start' episodes.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
ps.

Also, how is your battery?

I understand that cold weather does strange things to a battery which is only operating at marginal efficiency.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the help..
yes the battery is top knotch cranks like a champ.. kid just called said it firede right up but died again... i was going to go after the coils,, it does have new plugs.. added heat to the fuel yesterday. but he said it fired but unable to keep it running,,

when he parked it at school yesterday he never tried to restart til time to go home and thats when the car just cranked

what about tyhe starting fluid idea?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well kid got out of school and car still cranked no fire.. i tried starting fluid and no change,, had it towed home took off front spark plug boot put against motor crank over motor ang and got a spark thru boot.. took off rear spark plug boot from other coil cranked over motor and got no spark... would you assume a coil pack?? thanx

·
Registered
2000 c230 Kompressor (Totalled 5/2012)
238 Posts
If you're not getting any sparks, then I would think that you could test the ignition coil. This site gives instructions on how to do so using a multimeter: Bad Ignition Coil Symptoms | eHow.com

If you don't have a multimeter, I think you can get an analog one for around $10 at the home depot.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,593 Posts
Your model is susceptible to a bad wiring harness. Check the wires to the coils. They degrade and cause electrical problems.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC; 1984 300TD; 1984 300CD; 1985 300CD; 1978 280CE
178 Posts
If you have an OBDI code reader see if you can extract any codes during the 'no-start' episodes.
it's OBD2. Most parts stores will run the codes if you don't have a reader.
Sounds like your on the right track with the coil pack or wiring harness

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey thanx guys and girls!!! sorry for the late reply but other than mercedes broken car season its also DEER SEASON!!!
ya the packs seem to be a pain in the ass to get to, Im thinking of replacing the harness and the coils.. but its also winter here with snow on the ground and no heated garage..

where is the cheapest you have found a harness? thanx

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts