Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1995 C220
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post and I know little to nothing about cars...period. So, hopefully I can get some assistance here. My horn has not been working for a few years. It stopped working after my wheel got stuck and a mechanic had to disassemble my steering wheel.

Anyway, yesterday, when I turned my wheel to make a left turn it started beeping out of nowhere. It would beep then, stop. Now, as soon as I put the key in the ignition it will start and never stop. It is so loud! I opened my hood where the engine is and popped out the yellow #20 fuse thing that was in the fuse box near the drivers side and it seemed to stop my horn from blowing.

So my question is, until I can take it to a mechanic, is it safe to drive with that yellow #20 fuse thing taken off?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,856 Posts
Well, given that the fuse arrangement was different for a lot of the cars (especially between model years), it's hard to say just like that. If fuse #20 only serves the horn then I would say its safe. Obviously, if you come across a situation where the horn would be used to prevent an accident, then no it isn't safe. But otherwise, just maintain situational awareness, and go get your horn fixed!

· Registered
1999 C280, 2015 C300
449 Posts
Mellykunk, you will get more responses and suggestions of Indys, if you provide more information about your location, eg, city and state.

USA is very big and every state has their own laws.

My advice to all Newbies, put your location information. We don't need your address, only city and state. Put this in your profile.

· Registered
1995 C220
3,044 Posts
I'm surprised that your mechanic took the time to remove the airbag assembly to get at the horn when he could have just disconnected at the horn. The wires inside the wheel are probably dangling and making contact thus making your horn blow again.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
Why the hell would you unknowingly remove a random fuse and ask if it is safe to drive w/o it???? Not very smart!

Although not recommended as a remedy, but for diagnosis purposes why not remove the leads to the horn?

· Registered
1995 C220
43 Posts
Why the hell would you unknowingly remove a random fuse and ask if it is safe to drive w/o it???? Not very smart!

Although not recommended as a remedy, but for diagnosis purposes why not remove the leads to the horn?
What part of the FIRST sentence confused you? "This is my first post and I know little to nothing about cars...period".
Not very helpful! (See how I used a very similar 3-word phrase as yours)

· Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,856 Posts
I think what he meant was that you should check the sticker on the back of the fusebox to make sure you haven't switched off anything else but the horn, and not just randomly pull a fuse out and hope for the best. Like I said, the horn is a useful device, so try and get it fixed as soon as you can!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.