Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All but two of my actuators for the convertible top are leaking and I know I can have them rebuilt for 50 bucks a piece but my question is how many hours will a shop charge me to remove all 12 actuators and replace them after I have them rebuilt? Hoping someone with all data or someone that knows from experience can let me know what the job time is on this procedure. Just wanting to get an idea before I call around. Thanks

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,108 Posts
Just call up a Dealer and ask them how much for parts and how much for labor (and what is their hourly rate) etc. That will give you some idea.

·
Registered
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320, 95 E320 cab, Tesla X, Ferrari 360, etc
949 Posts
Labor involved to replace cylinders, your profile, and traveling mechanic

Mercedes1981,

Are you sure it is a model year '94 SL320? This would certainly not be a US version...

If I knew where you are located, and if it's in the US, I might be able to PM you some recommendations on shops in your area.

If I recall correctly, then AllData adds up to 11 hrs for R&R, but that is adding up the labor from doing the cylinders piece by piece. Thus, the total time should be lower if they have the replacement parts ready to put in at the same time. Some shops are very reasonable once you print out our DIYs (so either they can see that this is not a very difficult job for a professional, or at least they assume that you know what you are talking about...), and I have seen labor quotes go way down when our customers were able to hand the shop the car and a rebuilt, full set of cylinders.

How long it really takes a shop, depends very much on their experience with this particular job. You might be surprised at how fast it can be done, or how long it may take somebody the first time around. Fact is, though, model year '94 is particularly easy to deal with. If I were asked which model year Mercedes should use as an example of overall reliability and serviceability of the system, I would probably pick '94.

On a '94, we can ship you all six locking cylinders already mounted in locks (upon request, and at no additional charge), so that saves some more labor charge because the shop will not have to take them out of the locks.

If you have a shop take out the cylinders first and have them shipped to us for rebuild, then it may depend on their storage location whether they are comfortable with sending the six locking cylinders still mounted in locks, since you need a few locks in place in order to secure the top. See http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/maunuallockhardtop.pdf in our FAQ section.

If you should be in Florida, then I could recommend a traveling mechanic whom I have trained myself. He is extremely honest, and his rates are the lowest that I know of.

Lastly, please allow me to point out that I am certain Top Hydraulics is offering you the best possible rebuild service. Our seal material is truly unique - no other "rebuilder" is using it for their service. Our warranty does not get voided by use of "stop-leak" products, and our seals are not crumbling apart when exposed to water.

I hope this helps,

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt Convertible Top Hydraulic Cylinders - Top Hydraulics, Inc

·
Registered
1974 450sl, 1986 190e, 97 sl320 40th sold
506 Posts
Mercedes1981,

Are you sure it is a model year '94 SL320? This would certainly not be a US version...

If I knew where you are located, and if it's in the US, I might be able to PM you some recommendations on shops in your area.

If I recall correctly, then AllData adds up to 11 hrs for R&R, but that is adding up the labor from doing the cylinders piece by piece. Thus, the total time should be lower if they have the replacement parts ready to put in at the same time. Some shops are very reasonable once you print out our DIYs (so either they can see that this is not a very difficult job for a professional, or at least they assume that you know what you are talking about...), and I have seen labor quotes go way down when our customers were able to hand the shop the car and a rebuilt, full set of cylinders.

How long it really takes a shop, depends very much on their experience with this particular job. You might be surprised at how fast it can be done, or how long it may take somebody the first time around. Fact is, though, model year '94 is particularly easy to deal with. If I were asked which model year Mercedes should use as an example of overall reliability and serviceability of the system, I would probably pick '94.

On a '94, we can ship you all six locking cylinders already mounted in locks (upon request, and at no additional charge), so that saves some more labor charge because the shop will not have to take them out of the locks.

If you have a shop take out the cylinders first and have them shipped to us for rebuild, then it may depend on their storage location whether they are comfortable with sending the six locking cylinders still mounted in locks, since you need a few locks in place in order to secure the top. See http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/maunuallockhardtop.pdf in our FAQ section.

If you should be in Florida, then I could recommend a traveling mechanic whom I have trained myself. He is extremely honest, and his rates are the lowest that I know of.

Lastly, please allow me to point out that I am certain Top Hydraulics is offering you the best possible rebuild service. Our seal material is truly unique - no other "rebuilder" is using it for their service. Our warranty does not get voided by use of "stop-leak" products, and our seals are not crumbling apart when exposed to water.

I hope this helps,

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt Convertible Top Hydraulic Cylinders - Top Hydraulics, Inc
Not questioning your knowledge on these cars by any means but i thought they made the sl320 from 94-97 for the us market ?

·
Registered
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320, 95 E320 cab, Tesla X, Ferrari 360, etc
949 Posts
yes, SL320s were produced for model year '94 US versions

Ooops, you are right and I stand corrected! Yes, SL320s were produced for US model years '94-'97. Sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone into thinking they had a clone... :) I should limit my comments to hydraulic systems... ;)

Klaus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts