Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trying to remove the back compartment panels from my car to replace the small Bose speaker grill that I damaged. The removal instructions show that the rear compartment storage lids have to come off before the back panel can be removed. The problem is the large Bose speaker compartment on the left rear side won't come out. I've removed the mounting bolts but the unit won't budge. Almost feels like it's bolted through the floor.
Anyone have any ideas that will help me?
Appreciate any pointers.

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
937 Posts
I just removed the same component. The Bose unit sits on a sticky pad that becomes fused down. I like you thought is was still bolted down. It isn't. If all 4 bolts are out, grab the unit near the rear and get a good grip and pull. I mean pull. It will take numerous attempts to get it to "break loose". I found that (and I can't stress this enough) constant lifting pressure is required to get it out. It will eventually start to move and then actually pop up. Once you get it to break away it will lift out and you will see the "sticky matt" that is layed between the Bose unit and the floor-pan. Be careful that you fingers or hand doesn't get caught between the unit and surrounding body parts or you will shred your skin like I did. Good luck and remember to pull.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lee. I'll try you recommendation when I get my replacement speaker grill. Wonder if heating the base with a heat gun might encorage it a little?

·
Registered
1996 SL320
282 Posts
Thanks Lee. I'll try you recommendation when I get my replacement speaker grill. Wonder if heating the base with a heat gun might encorage it a little?
hi removed my unit to work on hydrolics use a wedge bar coated with rubber not to damage componant worked like a charm

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would not recommend applying any heat on or near the amplifier. Apply pressure with your hands like I did or pry it out like Dorian did. Dorian's way is easier on your hands but don't break the case. Remember to disassemble the connectors first inside the amp.

·
Registered
1995 SL500
169 Posts
Bassbox in Rr Compartment

I just removed the same component. The Bose unit sits on a sticky pad that becomes fused down. I like you thought is was still bolted down. It isn't. If all 4 bolts are out, grab the unit near the rear and get a good grip and pull. I mean pull. It will take numerous attempts to get it to "break loose". I found that (and I can't stress this enough) constant lifting pressure is required to get it out. It will eventually start to move and then actually pop up. Once you get it to break away it will lift out and you will see the "sticky matt" that is layed between the Bose unit and the floor-pan. Be careful that you fingers or hand doesn't get caught between the unit and surrounding body parts or you will shred your skin like I did. Good luck and remember to pull.
I am at this point in disassembly. I removed the amp from the top of the bassbox and all I see is a nut assembly toward the back of the bassbox. I removed it and now all I see is some (Two) screws way down there that could be holding the front of the box down. This does not appear to be the same description that you are explaining?? I cannot remove the two cap screws holding the front panel. There is no room. I removed them on the drivers side with no problem.
If I need to remove the two screws I will have to get a magnetic extension to put them back. Any other way to proceed?

·
Registered
937 Posts
There are 4 nuts securing the speaker box down. 2 at the rear and two at the front. When you reinstall the nuts, put the nut in the socket and put a piece of blue painters tape across the nut and secure it to the socket. Problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts