Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDqYkRU5GME&feature=youtu.be

right off, I noticed less power with air filters in, and with MAF sensors connected.
going to do more road tests with that stuff out next
these videos with air filters in engine, and both MAF sensors plugged in.
first a short test blast in low gear, just to make sure my little cheap camera is getting video and sound, link above
next I'll be trying 2 other cameras as well
had a tripod in front floor passenger side, it was rattling, that's the sound you hear
below is exhaust on the car as obtained from previous owner. I did was saw off the mufflers, the system leaked and sounded terrible, so I seized opportunity to straight pipe it, being it's gotta be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
next set of videos, I'll further unleash the power of the V12 engine, and remove the air filters, and unplug the MAF sensors...

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yeh sorta like a Ferrari....mufflers are condoms for cars and engines...more fun without them, or at least with louder ones. do you realize the horsepower unleashed when you pull all the emissions, and cut the exhaust off ? considerable....it's all about airflow, an engine is an air pump, get more air in and out= more exciting, exhilarating , visceral car to drive. it will change an SL600 or S600C from an airport car, to a real sports car.
I've got a new exhaust system paid $750 for, and 2 new Flowmasters my brother in law gave me for free, that will eventually go on. but for now, I'm enjoying the open exhaust:

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or these....you just need a little non-muffler culture education...
some of the most sought after, expensive, valuable vintage cars,
have no mufflers, or very loud mufflers.
the cars that cost millions $$

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Mercedes race car with M120 V12

it has no mufflers...what's the problem
when I come down the road with mine, idling in neutral,
pedestrians get outta the way...and smile as I go by...
when I drive it down the highway, cars get out of my way too...
they get in the right lane, slow down, and let me go by.
the car has a stunning affect on people, it would not have with mufflers.
when I shut it off, get out, most people say "holy shit that sounds like an F1 Formula car..."
or, "you'd have to hear that thing coming down the road, it sounds like it's at the race track..."
try it sometime. you'll like it. unless of course you're like 80, and that nothing excites you anymore...
there's very few V12's running around today,
street legal with antique plates...with a V12 and open pipes...
except maybe if you're Jay Leno ??

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the most expensive car in the world, they sell for $38 million at auction ?

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John Delorean, Bunkie Knudsen, and cohorts at Pontiac Motor Division in the heyday glory years of the 1960's:
"you can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man"...

content_004.jpg

·
Registered
96 sl600,97 s420(gone) 96 CL600
622 Posts
Better idea-you can buy an electric cutout valve that allows you to open the exhaust ahead of the mufflers. Close it when you want.
Yes, it sounds amazing, but part of the appeal of these cars is the complete refinement, so running around with one with a loud exhaust would get old. Rather have 2 modes.

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes already know about the exhaust cutouts, and looked at them years ago, the ones I'd want is cable operated mechanical. simple, cheap, effective, easy to install. one in each side. just a flap that opens/closes with a cable like a hand choke.

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ps- running around with a quiet exhaust would actually get old, and hurt resale. like previous Pontiac reference says,
you can sell an old man a young mans car, you can't sell a young man an old man's car.
the kids love this open exhaust, they celebrate it. an older buyer knows he can just put an exhaust on it to fit his tastes.
if that car had stock exhaust it would be boring as hell to a young kid.
I'm going to put flowmasters on it, simply because I got 2 new ones in the boxes for free from relative. if by chance there's no room under the car for 2 box type mufflers and true duals,
I'll go with glasspack mufflers from Cherry Bomb.

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
their new VORTEX box muffler flows more than a straight glasspack, that's saying a lot !!
notice how much a turbo stock type muffler chokes the enigine down
the stock Benz mufflers choke it down even more !
from a turbo i.e. stock type muffler, to a Vortex, the stock mufflers choke the engine down 50% in flow. it's like having a sock stuck in the exhaust pipe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts