Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
My mechanic has in his shop a 1994 S600 coupe that the owner will be putting up for sale.
It has 63,000 miles on it, Black on Black, with Lorinser wheels and exhaust, plus the engine is chipped.
Original owner; only thing it appears to need is new tires due to age.
The 60,000 service was recently completed.
I need to check if the wiring harness has been done, etc.
I am looking for comments on reliability, price, etc.
My intention is to use it as a Sunday hotrod, show car once in a while, and for cruising. No more than 3,000 miles per year.
Would anything under $5500 be a fair price?
Thanks in advance,
David

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Sounds about fair in the US..

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
5500 is fair but don't be shocked when stuff leaks because of the low miles and age. But that is a good price even if it needs a few things.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Pictures?

·
Registered
600 Posts
As others have said: that's a lot of cold miles and if the tyres are expiring due to age, expect rubber seals, gaskets etc to do the same.

You *can* rebuild the engine loom, but it's a pig of a job. It took me a *long* time and being a Ham Radio operator who does a lot of my own electronics I'm well practised at such things. Even if it's not been done, don't give up. I believe you can get them for about $1000.

You do't say if it's got ADS but if it has, check out the hydraulics. These things can cost fearsome money to fix.

But having said that, you know the mechanic, he knows the one owner, so for that price I'd buy it assuming it all checks out and drives ok. It's not as if you're buying a "bargain" car for cash off a pikey who will disappear to another state the next day so that removes a huge chunk of the risk.

Can you get the mechanic to read the diagnostics?

It will be reliable *IF* it has been serviced properly and *IF* you continue the maintenance.

If you want one of these cars as a Sunday toy and you know what you're letting yourself in for in terms of maintenance cost (they're about the most expensive Mercedes to run) then for that price you'd be stark raving bonkers to buy a different one.

I'd had my 1993 600SEC off the road for a while to fix the suspension hydraulics (which had corroded away to nothing after 18 British winters and I had to scour ebay and German scrapyards for the parts) but when I drove it again, *WOW*, I'd forgotten what it was like (big grin). *WHAT* a motor car!

<edit> 11.15GMT
Dave, the more I think about this, the more it's a total no-brainer. You've inspited me to go out for an hour or so in the SEC and to do my impressions of The Stig round the lanes through Sherwood Forest nearby

cheers

Dave

·
Registered
199 Posts
like others have said, do it!

i've had mine for about 18months and have done some of the jobs listed above: engine loom (top part) new rear hydraulic struts and accumulators, some steering parts that were just plain worn out. the rest was all fine after a bit of tweaking here and there. the only items done by my dealership friends were the underneath stuff, i just did not have the time or expertise (and guessed correctly they would be seized quite robustly on suspension stuff - so i did not want to create more of a problem) the rest is all within the capability of someone who knows how to wield spanner now and then and this forum is awesome for help and support.

the only other thing is fuel costs. i've done 13000 miles at cost of £2800. but if you are gonig to worry about fuel costs this is not a good vehicle to be getting! just enjoy it, it is an amazing vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts