Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1981 380SL, 1990 300SL, 1994 S320 (current), 2003 SL500, 2008CLS550 (current)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already the forum has helped me a lot on the project car which is a 1994 S320. It has some of the milk chocolate looking oil in the coolant reservoir- head gasket?? also, the oil registered high on the dipstick, i didnt think too much of it and drove it 2,000 miles back home - no problems. I decided to siphon off the oil, and to my amazement, took 7 qts out to get it to the correct middle of min/ max line. I am checking the oil properly - Letting engine warm up to operating temperature, parking on level surface, inserting clean dipstick fully and letting it sit for three seconds and pulling it out. the only thing i can figure now is that it is the wrong dipstick maybe??? the numbers on the red handle are 60322. I called dealer and told them i thought when they changed the oil, that they forgot to remove the old oil. they said having that much oil in the S320 engine was impossible, that it would only hold 9 1/4 qts at maximum! what is going on here????? im afraid to even move the car now after removing so much oil, but the oil is reading correct on the dipstick? what is going on with that??? any help is appreciated greatly!!! My question is , is it possible to overfill that engine this much, or does the car have the incorrect dipstick?? i am checking the oil properly.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I would just drain the oil from the drain plug, and then refill it with roughly the proper amount given in the owner's manual, then check the dipstick and see how it reads.

Brett

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
Before I bought a transmission dipstick, I measured what came out, and refilled according to the book. I was pretty close (keep it a little lean just in case).

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
And dont forget to change the oil filter as well ,oil should be a nice goldy colour ,after about a week it changes to almost black if your engine is realy dirty inside ,if i were you i change the oil replacing it with cheap oil 1st filter included , drive it for a bit then drain it again (& so on ) .
Just a tip ,you dont have to do it you know ,depends how much you like your car ,enthusiast w140 level or it's just a car type of guy,i'm on an extra heavy duty enthusiast level about the w140 so you can imagine ,lol.:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts