Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1994 E320 wagon was having some hesitations between shifting the gears. Then the vibrations started and the next thing happened, the one piece of the 2 pieces driveline or draftshaft fell out. I don't know at this time which one is the rear or the front. Luckily, I was only a half mile away from home when the wagon broke down. I had the wagon towed home. I have not been able to jack up the rear end of the wagon at this time.

I did some research on the above issue. Due to the damage done on the driveline/driveshaft/propeller,(propeller twisted, spline bent out of shape, groves on the spline gear smashed and twisted) I went ahead and ordered the two piece driveshaft. The seller marked a line for the two piece shaft for the purpose of correct balance that put the two piece together when lining up the driveline/driveshaft. The correct part number drivelshaft is Mercedes 1244109916, 300E E320 300TE Sedan wagon W124 E class Driveshaft M104, since different part number (1244108916 fits the sedan, not the wagon) does not fit all, especially the 1994 wagon.

I also ordered new 2 flex discs with new bolts and washers. Drive Shaft Flex Joint New Front or Rear OEM Number: 704100015.

Both flex discs and the driveline, 2 piece, already arrived at my home. My concern in regards to flex discs, I noticed three of the 6 holes are higher than the other three. Which side of the disc goes in the propeller on the driveline correctly/properly?

In addition, I also ordered new Mercedes Driveshaft Center Support Hanger Bearing 124 410 02 81. I am still waiting for the part to show up at my home at this time.

Since I have not been able to go under the wagon to inspect the driveshaft at this time, I wonder what additional parts that are needed? I just want to prepare myself ahead of time to know and see what to expect.

Also, the key to the ignition is stuck and not be able to remove. The engine starts fine. The shifting will not move at all to get into park so I can remove the key from the ignition.

I fear that I may have damage the transmission and/or engine as a result of the broken driveshaft and possibly others as well. Only when I inspect the driveshaft and other parts will tell.

I will follow up on this issue and report my findings on this thread. Stay tune.

Any comments/feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The higher parts on the flex disc goes inside the propshaft if you look at it them both ,you will see the holess are in there to let id fit All markings on the coupling face the rear of the car on the front coupling [ flexi disc ].

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
If it helps, I just started parting my 1992 300te wagon today. It has a bad head gasket I think, and maybe some intermittent ignition issues. The transmission felt ok. I also have a transmission from a e320 m104 sedan. If you PM me or just update your profile, I can determine if it's even work considering trying to see if my parts will match your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on Driveshaft issues

Trevor Hadlington and Fonzi: Thanks for responding back. I appreciated it. At this time, due to the weather, I am unable to work on the wagon. However, I will keep this thread posted as to my progress and resolution of the issues. Stay tune.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
Yesterday, the new Mercedes Driveshaft Center Support Hanger Bearing 124 410 02 81 arrived. Upon inspecting the Driveshaft Center Support Hanger Bearing, the rubber surrounding the bearing is very solid and strong, little flexibility in compared to the older bearing where the rubber is somewhat very loose in terms of movements. Probably due to wear and tear symptoms.

I went to different auto part stores to get more information on the 3 prong gear puller. Some are $20, others $30. I think it is just ridiculous to buy a 3 prong gear puller just one time to use for removal of the bearing. One place charge $20 on his press machine. I had to go to an auto part store anyway to pick up the T60 socket for the new bolts on the new flex discs. I asked an employee there if he has any loaner tools such as 3 prong gear puller. He said yes. I then asked him if he can remove the bearing himself while at the store, since there were few customers there. He said ok and went to work on the bearing using the tools available at the store. After much prodding and banging to remove the old bearing, he was abled to remove the old bearing and replaced it with the new one I had gotten yesterday. I bought the T60 socket at the store and no charge for the labor this employee did on the removal and replacement of the bearing. It took him approximately 15 minutes of his time. All it cost me was the T60 socket. I was so happy and impressed with this overall experience. In fact, I shook his hand to express my gratitude for the job well done. So yes, it pays to do your due diligence while researching for the issues/problems I have in regards to the tasks at hand. Next thing for me to do is jack up the wagon and inspect the damage and remove the old driveline/driveshaft/propellers. Stay tune for further adventures of my ongoing project.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Key issue is almost certainly the key lockout (car has to be in P or maybe N) and that is a physical mechanism IIRC.

You should take a very close look at the yoke flanges on trans and diff and make sure they are flat and that the recesses are not worn out. If the flanges are bent you will need replace them. I purchased a used trans from a car that had been rear-ended and the result was bent yoke. It took me replacing bolts on the DS 4x before I figured it out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
winmut, thanks for your great comments in your last post. I appreciated it. That is something I am not aware of in regards to flange yoke. In fact, I did some research on that and appears to have two different part numbers for the front and the rear that the driveline/driveshaft goes in between. yoke flange part number: 1243500746 (rear) 1243500846 (front?), specifically for the 1994 E320 wagon. Anyway, the rain stops me from working on the driveshaft issues at this time and probably for awhile anyway. Stay tune and I keep posting on my progress.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI everyone. I apologize for the lengthy delay in regards to the followup (2 years). I am back now. I will be taking the wagon to the shop tomorrow. In regards to the previous message concerning the yoke flange, yoke flange part number: 1243500746 (rear) 1243500846 (front), I cannot seem to find those two anywhere for replacement parts, just in case, I need them. Any ideas?
?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Transmission damaged as well as the engine/motor?

HI, an update on the 1994 E320 wagon. I just got back from the shop after the shop owner emailed me with 3 pictures of the transmission area. The bad news is they can't fix/replace the two piece driveshaft due to the damage of the transmission. See the pictures below:

My question is, based on the pictures, it looks like the transmission is damaged as well and will have to be replace and is it worth it? Based on the look of the transmission in the pictures, is the engine damaged as well? If there is an used transmission available and replace the old transmission with a used one, will that be worth it, too? I am debating myself on these issues. According to the vin number, its specifications show the transmission model: 722369 03 937210. Is there this type of transmission available somewhere? Is there any cross reference of the transmission from other models or is it specific type of transmission for the particular 1994 Mercedes wagon?

Any comments, feedback, advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Ugh. I can't believe what I am seeing. The selector rod got wrapped around the rear flange ! You might contact a reputable transmission rebuilder like Sun Valley and be honest with them about the condition of your core transmission (that you will be shipping back to them). The fact that the selector rod and related shifting mechanism was mangled could have something to do with your key being locked. In addition to the transmission you may need access to a few junkyard parts (shifter for example). Good luck with this.

Has anyone told you WHY the driveshaft came apart? I suspect the front flex disc let go and that started the calamity.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tuttebenne, thanks for your last message. You are probably right about the selector rod being mangled and could cause the ignition key to get stuck.

No sir, no one told me why the driveshaft came apart. You are also probably correct about the front disc flex were wearing out prior to its present demise. The last time I drove the mercedes, there was some hesitation between shiftiing gears, which I suspected flex disc was wearing out.

Due to my limited resources and for safety reasons, I would probably look around for another transmission and have the old transmission replace by a mechanic. I am not sure if the old transmission is worth saving due its damage. Also, I am not sure if the engine/motor is affected as well. Stay tune for further adventures on this interesting situation.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked into Sun Valley transmission website and is located in Pacoima, CA. That is quite far away from where I live. Is that the only reputable transmission rebuilder of Mercedes as recommended by fellow members here?

it seems my only options, as far as my budget goes, is to remove the transmission myself and shipped the transmission to the transmission rebuilder wherever they are, the closer to my home, the better. That means I have to get some good and solid strong ramps with enough room for me to go under the undercarriage and remove the transmission. Also, I have to get a transmission jack to hold the loose transmission. These are the possible scenarios going through my head as well as possible others I have not thought about.

Ideally, the best solution for me is to have the whole Mercedes (including the old transmission intact) tow to the nearest Mercedes transmission rebuilder near Nashville Tennessee area, since Nashville is a big city and should have some good reputable Mercedes transmission rebuilders.
However, I will continue to do some research on this situation. Stay tune.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just saw the sun valley website and showed the rebuilt transmission available for sale with exchange. Same model number and year.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just receive a message from one of the Mercedes salvage yard owner after I sent him the three pictures. To him, looking at the pictures, it looks like the shifter linkage wrapped around the
transmission flange. Can't say the transmission is bad.

It is possible the transmission is good and the shifter linkage along with the transmission flange needs to be replace.

It seems to me at this point is for me to do a thorough check myself by going under the carriage.
By doing so, I will try to remove the transmission flange along with the

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
So you didn't get the memo about front flex discs going bad, causing vibration, and eventually coming apart wreak havoc? Sometimes they cause the airbags to deploy because they whack the top of the driveshaft tunnel and the airbag control module is located directly above.
Too soon to say if the transmission is damaged. Your first step should be to remove the mangled shifter rod and teh flex disc attaching bolts. Then you can spin the output shaft yoke and see if it is bent or otherwise damaged.
If it is damaged you'll need a 12-point 1 3/16" deep socket to remove the nut holding it to the output shaft. Then the yoke just pulls off the output shaft.
Hopefully the shift lever clip and/or bushing let go soon enough that the shift linkage going into the trans didn't get harmed.
Is the kickdown solenoid broken off the back of the trans?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
augapfel, thanks for your excellent last post. Right now, the mercedes is still at the shop outside and I will have the tow truck come out on Monday. Will definitely follow up as soon I get started to work on removal of the shifter cable and inspected the transmission flange. By the way, I ordered a used shifter cable and been researching this transmission flange yoke part. The issue is this case right now is finding the correct part name and number automatic transmission flange 1232720545, 2022720345 fits W201, w124. I doubled-checked, cross-reference checked on this particular flange or yoke, came up different names different parts number but meaning the same thing or part. It also has to make sure it is compatible with the transmission (722.369 03 937210). Some of the transmission flanges indicates that only fit on 722.4 transmission. Can anyone out there shed any light on the exact part name and number that fits on my particular transmission yoke or flange or propeller shaft, etc.? Stay tune for the exciting adventures of this ongoing saga.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
8 Participants
dmorgan1952
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing