Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
“What’s your name, darling? Hop in and we’ll roll to the beach.”

This 1994 Mercedes-Benz 320CE factory-built Sportline/AMG A124 delivered to Lucerne, Switzerland, November, 1993. It is the only one of it's kind specifically ordered with a post-production, pre-merger AMG hand-stitched, installed Signal Red Kepler-Recaro, Sportline leather interior.

Features also include original build sheet(s), with sales and operating manuals, wallets (2), and all supplements. It also is equipped with a MB's 1st. 5-Speed Automatic, a 3:69 ASR rearend, and w/rare S-class Infra-red remote Lock-theft-recovery system. It also includes full documented Mercedes-Benz restoration/repair receipts, totaling over $37k. Added accessories include all correct & complete tool, fuse, bulb, first aid and emergency kits, + all period sales literature. The vehicle comes with the rare Daimler-Benz AG's Factory Certificate of Compliance and carries a current permanently registered Montana title.

This stunning Sportline/AMG Cabriolet recently completed a three-plus year remanufacturing, solely under guidance of Mercedes-Benz USA, the Classic Center, Irvine, California USA and Daimler AG, Stuttgart Germany. This rare and stunning example remains original and unmodified, with every system and assembly repaired, replaced as-required toward achieving Daimler's Factory Certification of Compliance.

Historical Note: This special cabriolet was brought into the United States in 1997 by it's original owner, while she cared for her ailing sister in Miami. DOT verified it allowed in vehicles unfederalized, under the promise the car returned with the owner to Europe. The purchase price upon delivery was €118.000,(equivalent to $200,000 USD today). The car currently records 121800 kph(75,450 original miles). This special-ordered cabriolet is available by appointment. Located conveniently near LAX or John Wayne International Airports, a scheduled business or personal visit can easily accommodate a private viewing to experience this last ultimate example of Mercedes-Benz "Alles Oder Nichts” traditional craftsmanship. Worthy of your future collection.

BEST OFFER OVER: $37,000.USD

Redondo Beach, CA

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
“What’s your name, darling? Hop in and we’ll roll to the beach.”

This 1994 Mercedes-Benz 320CE factory-built Sportline/AMG A124 delivered to Lucerne, Switzerland, November, 1993. It is the only one of it's kind specifically ordered with a post-production, pre-merger AMG hand-stitched, installed Signal Red Kepler-Recaro, Sportline leather interior.

Features also include original build sheet(s), with sales and operating manuals, wallets (2), and all supplements. It also is equipped with a MB's 1st. 5-Speed Automatic, a 3:69 ASR rearend, and w/rare S-class Infra-red remote Lock-theft-recovery system. It also includes full documented Mercedes-Benz restoration/repair receipts, totaling over $37k. Added accessories include all correct & complete tool, fuse, bulb, first aid and emergency kits, + all period sales literature. The vehicle comes with the rare Daimler-Benz AG's Factory Certificate of Compliance and carries a current permanently registered Montana title.

This stunning Sportline/AMG Cabriolet recently completed a three-plus year remanufacturing, solely under guidance of Mercedes-Benz USA, the Classic Center, Irvine, California USA and Daimler AG, Stuttgart Germany. This rare and stunning example remains original and unmodified, with every system and assembly repaired, replaced as-required toward achieving Daimler's Factory Certification of Compliance.

Historical Note: This special cabriolet was brought into the United States in 1997 by it's original owner, while she cared for her ailing sister in Miami. DOT verified it allowed in vehicles unfederalized, under the promise the car returned with the owner to Europe. The purchase price upon delivery was €118.000,(equivalent to $200,000 USD today). The car currently records 121800 kph(75,450 original miles). This special-ordered cabriolet is available by appointment. Located conveniently near LAX or John Wayne International Airports, a scheduled business or personal visit can easily accommodate a private viewing to experience this last ultimate example of Mercedes-Benz "Alles Oder Nichts” traditional craftsmanship. Worthy of your future collection.

BEST OFFER OVER: $37,000.USD

Redondo Beach, CA
Read up for additional info:
https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12580

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I know all the Puss-boy's hand-wringing and whining... They were still trying to figure out which end of their Big Wheels to sit on when I was importing 280SE cabs back in the 80s. Few realize, much less remember, that ALL imported vehicles from Europe; no matter their condition, received 'clean' titles at their point of entry, initially from the DOT, and consequently from that state of registry.

Thus, this 320CE is so rare, the argument becomes mute and irrelevant, anyway. Most the hysterics come from who have less courage to tackle an amateur detailing much less grasp the effort taken in a ground up restoration of even a Corvair. I heard the same bitching and moaning about Mopar HEMIs back in the 80s.

Finally, none of these so-called arm-chair experts; whether they even work for today's Daimler or not, have expressed any clue to the hidden problems these cabriolets inherently have. I've spent over 3 years and $37k through Mercedes to get this car correct above and beyond the minor damage received from amount of rainwater in the driver floor pans. If this had been a mere base E320 cabriolet, I would have never bothered. Actually, for one part alone, the only alternative is to replace it by purchasing another low mileage cab as a parts car. It is irreparable. Only two remaining NOS units existed in the world, as of 2015.

Another example is the soft top control module. Unique to the A124s, it is also unrepairable, and now, working used units are as valuable as their weight in gold.

When researched, anyone can find that these beautiful machines were ill conceived and brought to market for many of the worse reasons. Ultimately, just as quickly, they have been abandoned by Mercedes. It was unfortunate, but there remain clear reasons why Daimler lost nearly $10k on each one built. There are achilles heels in this early design that are tragically beyond repair for most now trying to keep these on the road. Even a North American delivered base 92-95 A124 with the most stalwart lover, soon realizes the futility maintaining, let alone restoring one of these beautifully crafted vehicles today. Imagine within another 10 years? they will literally be fewer remaining than there are now 70-71 280SE 3.5 cabriolets. Simply because of A124's complexity and Mercedes-Benz's abandonment of the model. Sadly, if one is purchased for $10K or less today, it is merely a parts car. And that has been a realization was over past 2 years. Today, that figure can easily be well North of $13K for the same 'value'.

Personally? I love this cabriolet dearly. Each time I take her out I quarrel with myself why I shouldn't simply keep it? After all, I should be able to easily remain healthy another ten years while enjoying the car, while watching her double, if not triple in value. And perhaps I will? If for nothing more, than to watch the whiners cringe? The car is fairly, if not cheaply priced, for what I know it's worth. And most of all, what the receipts from Mercedes justify. And then, there is what it would cost even today, to replicate the level of restoration I struggled to complete less than 18 months ago for this cabriolet. Only if even half the "experts" here had a glimpse of what it takes to achieve Daimler's rarely granted factory Certificate of Compliance...I doubt they'd still do anything beyond continue to criticize and complain, as if they had anything worthwhile to do better.

Oh well, as in the 1980s, what's the point? Lead them to wisdom but you can never make fools think. Few, back then, had grasp of what HEMI's or any "muscle" car was worth. Even when they were less than 15-year-old used cars! So, just as in the 80s, luckily there are always a few who are much too busy to be constantly bitching and moaning.

That, my friend, is why I care less whether I sell this A124 or not. Eventually, I will. Someone will see this rare beast for what it is. Just as a few of us knew what the Dodge and Plymouth HEMI cars were and would be, when snatched up for nearly nothing, in the 80s. Hysterically, today, no one gives a rat's ass what condition any HEMI is found.

In the end, all I hope for is that you're not one of those who are always... "afraid to pull the trigger", as Jay Leno often remarks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Stay off the cocaine Rick, Its not 1980 something anymore and its leading you to tell way to many stories and keep going on and on and on and on and on

Car is a basket case. Throw it back on Ebay

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Not to nitpick, or anything, but the Euro was taken into use in Germany on January 1st, 2002. :teach:

But I guess with all the other stuff, that’s just a minor detail... :dunno:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Why don't you just post all the documentation for the car? Also the car used to have an Arizona title but now it has a Montana title. Why is that if you have had the car for so long.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
RUBBER TITS

Why don't you just post all the documentation for the car? Also the car used to have an Arizona title but now it has a Montana title. Why is that if you have had the car for so long.
Yes, dimwit. I live in California. I drove it to Yuma to have it inspected and titled. At one point, for 15 miles it comfortably cruised at 135 with the top down! When realized, i dropped back down to 90 and literally woke my girlfriend, asleep next to me. Amazingly it is more stable the faster it's allow to run! Anyhow, I have my wealth in an LLC, formed in Montana. I doubt you understand what that means but let me assure you this car is thoroughly "documented" for any QUALIFIED buyer!

The car was never federalized when privately imported. It was temporary. Similar to diplomatic weavers. Later, in '97 the original owner; wishing to no longer be bothered by the local Dade County police, had a cat installed and the car registered. When she returned to Europe in '00, she sold the car, other than bother to take it back with her. Btw, she is still very much alive and living on the Riviera. I speak with her frequently, and has verified her family's relationship with Daimler and documented the first 7 years of the car's history. The rest came from the second owner in Atlanta, who had the car briefly before selling to a friend of his fathers in NYC. She taught at NYU and kept the car at her summer house on Long Island. She is also alive and verifies the car's history up until '12, when her insurance company totaled the car because of Sandy. The car had been moved inland due to fears of tidal surges, but by the time the car was able to be moved to where hundreds of cars were moved to be safe the area had already filled with other cars. Her caretaker parked the car as close as possible to the staging area, but despite luckily being on higher ground, it still received water up to the driver's door sill. While all the nearby staging lot flooded, the water level only breached the front and rear left floor pans. Ms. Zacker couldn't understand why her insurance carrier totaled the car without even inspecting it, but realized later, that all the carriers had tens of thousands of cars to handle in mass. And after all, as she explained, she soon realized the car was already 19 yo at that point. Btw, all the insurance carrier's photos and reports documenting the damage are with the car!

Let me reiterate. If you any intelligence... Or, actually any commonsense at all. You'd understand that... Oh, Wait... What the hell am I doing, explaining anything to this moron!? Why even bother? Just another clueless millennial wonder hero. I realize it might be hard to grasp, but try to consider that before I spent any time or money at all on restoring this car, I might've had the commonsense to research and verify it rarity and worth with Daimler or even the Mercedes-Benz Museum curators!?

Duh!?

Jesus! And your parents haven't kicked you out yet!?

Small wonders never cease to amaze...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes... It is "nit-picking". Most here have no idea what was ever before the Euro, so why befuddle their poor little minds?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stay off the cocaine Rick, Its not 1980 something anymore and its leading you to tell way to many stories and keep going on and on and on and on and on

Car is a basket case. Throw it back on Ebay
Again, please try to simply understand... Let me reiterate. If you any intelligence you'd... "Oh, Wait... What the hell am I doing, explaining anything!? Why even bother? Just another clueless millennial wonder hero. I realize it might be hard to grasp, but try to consider that before I spent any time or money at all on restoring this car, I might've had the commonsense to research and verify it rarity and worth with Daimler or even the Mercedes-Benz Museum curators!?

Duh!?

Jesus! And your parents haven't kicked you out yet!?

Small wonders never cease to amaze.."

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yes, dimwit. I live in California. I drove it to Yuma to have it inspected and titled. At one point, for 15 miles it comfortably cruised at 135 with the top down! When realized, i dropped back down to 90 and literally woke my girlfriend, asleep next to me.
LOLOLOL, 135 MPH with the top down huh Rick.... This shit just gets better and better.

I am sure this thread will get plenty of attention, Keep it up Billy Bullshit, I mean rick

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should be proud of receipts from the Classic Center. Please add pics of them. It's part of the core valuation in your description.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Seller says:
This stunning Sportline/AMG Cabriolet recently completed a three-plus year remanufacturing, solely under guidance of Mercedes-Benz USA, the Classic Center, Irvine, California USA and Daimler AG, Stuttgart Germany.
But here's what the Classic Center had to say when GCFSB featured this car:

For whatever it’s worth, our Classic Center had no involvement with this vehicle beyond the provision of a factory build sheet some time ago. We did NOT restore the car, nor did we oversee the car’s restoration, nor have we ever sold the owner any parts for it.

We appreciate the tactic of throwing good name into the marketing effort, but only when it’s deserved (and true!).
1994 Mercedes-Benz E320 Cabriolet | German Cars For Sale Blog

Also, seller does not mention car has salvage title from flood damage.

Craig

·
Registered
47 Posts
But here's what the Classic Center had to say
Anyone over 18 could smell all of that. This car has flood damage > auction/broker circuit > flip > endless convoluted nigerian scam style stories written all over it. This is a benzworld forum so when you talk to people like they're a bunch high school kids searching the Newark craigslist for their dream car for prom night and won't search for more than 5 minutes on the internet because they've never had a device with a screen larger than a phone people really resent it. Normally I'd say "nice try" if the story was just spending $37K+ and accepting offers of $37k+ but the actual details suggest outright fraud. Not funny.

I suggest you "mute" your moot story and stop "quarreling with yourself" and keep the "rare beast" until it "doubles or even triples in value" and don't "wake your make believe girlfriend in the seat next to you" doing "135mph"(as opposed to waking her in the trunk?). Quoting Jay Leno though while trying to sell a car from an era that he would have absolutely nothing to do with, I almost did an impulse bank transfer except my mind wasn't clouded with what color corsage to buy Charise, "darling".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
paulma2010
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing