Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Many MBZ, Couple of 911s, couple of pick ups
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 1994 E500 will occasionally and randomly light up both the asr and abs warning lamps. No change in performance. Has happened maybe half a dozen times with no change in throttle response nor performance. Anybody have any idea of what is going on? I haven't had this experience with my other 124s.

Thanks in advance.

Sherif

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,700 Posts
The ASR lamp on my 400 also acts up as you discribe. There is no explanition I have been able to find. Our forum moderator has some info on this I believe. You might try sending him a PM.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
1993 500E
22 Posts
Hello,

My 1994 E500 will occasionally and randomly light up both the asr and abs warning lamps. No change in performance. Has happened maybe half a dozen times with no change in throttle response nor performance. Anybody have any idea of what is going on? I haven't had this experience with my other 124s.

Thanks in advance.

Sherif
When the ASR light comes on the car will go into "limp home mode". You're saying
there's no change in performance would lead me to believe that it's an electrical
issue. Has your upper wiring harness been replaced? The harness is a weak spot
with the sheathing getting brittle and falling off the wires, causing electrical gremlins
at best, and major problems at worst. Most all 500E's need theirs replaced because
the high underhood temps accelerate the harness's degradation.

hth,
a'

·
Registered
Many MBZ, Couple of 911s, couple of pick ups
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arno,
Thank you for your suggestion regarding the wiring harness? I think the prior owner did have a portion of the wiring harness replaced, but I will double check.

Sherif

·
Registered
'87 W124 300TD, '85 W123 280E
113 Posts
Bump. I am having this problem too. I wonder if anyone has figured out a solution or an explanation?

My situation: about 40% of the time, when I start the engine, the ABS and ASR light come on and stay on. There doesn't seem to be a correlation between temperature and frequency of occurrence. If I drive a bit and restart, the lights will usually turn off.

There is no performance hit when the lights are on, but the ABS/ASR does not work. This has been confirmed in slippery snow driving. The car is definitely not in "limp home" mode. When the light is off, everything works as it should.

I just replaced the brake light switch, which I read could cause this problem, to no avail. I also read that there is a fuse of some sort behind the battery that could cause this. Anyone have anymore info on this possibility or how to address it (I am not very familiar with my Benz yet)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also please note I am driving a E320 Wagon - though this probably wouldn't make much of a difference in this particular electrical issue.

·
Registered
'95 E420
36 Posts
When my E420 started doing this, it was indeed the Stop Lamp Switch failing, which eventually threw a Check Engine light with that code. Replacing the Stop Lamp Switch solved the intermittent ABS/ASR lights on problem, and I have confirmed that ASR still works on my car, by slippery snow sliding ;-)

My ABS/ASR light coming on did have a pattern - it was always or almost always triggered by braking in slow traffic 10 to 30 minutes after starting driving.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmmm... Thanks.

I probably should have mentioned that I, too, have my Check Engine Light illuminated. It is on all the time, though. I just figured it was my o2 sensor as it went out for about a week after I disconnected the battery. So - it stays on whether or not the ABS/ASR lights are on or off.

Any other ideas where this problem might be coming from?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Bob, your situation just cries out for reading the fault codes on the 16 pin connector. The car is just waiting to tell what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
Could just be a bad fuse in the computer box, or a loose wire feeding the traction control unit (does both abs+asr).

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1994/E320/About 150,000 miles
90 Posts
my abs and asr warning lights are always on as well. did anyone find a solution?

i also have a warning light saying i have a bulb out somewhere but i can't find it. tailights, blinkers, front and rear fog lights, brake lights, and headlights all work. i do have some led bulbs for front blinkers and reverse lights, and my headlights are hids.

·
Registered
'94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
988 Posts
Many will say that the first thing you should consider is the wiring harness.

Even if you replace the big harness there's still the wiring on the throttle body that needs replacing and could cause issues.

If both were replaced, then the next cost efficient step is to consider wheel sensors and brake sensors. ABS and ASR are tied in with each other like wheat and bread, they need each other.

Also, does the orange ASR triangle light up when this happens? Usually when it does that's when for sure the car is in limp home mode.

Otherwise it could be OVP relay (maybe) and at worst, a dying ECU.

all I can think of.

Thankfully my coupe with ASR has yet to show any maladies at 129k miles.

As for the dead lightbulb, this bulb always goes overlooked so look into these:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Since this thread is back - I want to report on what has happened to my car.

I did check the fault codes - nothing related to the two dash lights coming on at odd intervals. MAF sensor was unplugged and I have the infamous and unsolvable code 26 upshift delay.

So the ABS and ASR lights still occasionally come on and stay on until a restart. The triangle light is not on, so the car is not in limp home mode. I have changed my brake switch and all my brake sensors and this hasn't had any affect whatsoever on the chance that the lights will come on when the car starts.

My fuses seem properly set, but I will recheck again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts