Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;

I posted this in the W124 forum as well as I'm not sure if it's general MB or W124 specific.

My 1994 E320 recently started making a growling noise from under the hood. A stethescope tracked it down to the rear of the smog pump which was then rebuilt (at a cost of $520). No change. Someone suggested it was the innards of the catalytic converter but it really sounds closer to the block or the accessories. It sounds like either a bad bearing, a loose heat shield or a out of balance fan if you can imagine all of those sounds together. It is definitely engine rpm related and increases slightly in pitch and volume as the rpm increases.

All other parameters are normal.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi;

I posted this in the W124 forum as well as I'm not sure if it's general MB or W124 specific.

My 1994 E320 recently started making a growling noise from under the hood. A stethescope tracked it down to the rear of the smog pump which was then rebuilt (at a cost of $520). No change. Someone suggested it was the innards of the catalytic converter but it really sounds closer to the block or the accessories. It sounds like either a bad bearing, a loose heat shield or a out of balance fan if you can imagine all of those sounds together. It is definitely engine rpm related and increases slightly in pitch and volume as the rpm increases.

All other parameters are normal.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

have the alternator bearing checked if noise coming from the front of the engine

·
Registered
2002 E320
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call on the alternator bearing. It was indeed a recently rebuilt Bosch alternator. The alternator and smog pump are mounted on the same bracket on the right side of the engine so the sound was being transmitted up the bracket to the pump. I had three mechanics, one of them an MB tech, tell me it was the smog pump and one tell me it was the torque converter. I finally got some tim ein my friend's shop and put it up on the hoist myself. You really have to drop the plastic chin pan to get a good look at the alternator but it was very obvious even without the stethescope that the rear bearing on the alternator was kaput.

Scott

·
Registered
82 Posts
Alternator Bearing is first check on this model. This is what my friend car had as a noise problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts