Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the car used and new the radio didnt work, but got the radio code from dealer and the am/fm/tape now work but when I press CD, I just get "CD error". Its Model No MC 3196NA, CD Wechsler, 002 820 5989. The date stamp on the changer which is trunk mounted is 1998, so I assume the original changer had already failed. The good news is that while its my 1st Benz, I', a Certified electronics tech and even though car radios is not my thing, I was unable to find and obvious issue. Bad news is with the maybe original radio in there and the car being so old, the best bet may be to just live with the am/fm/cass as sad as it sounds. If I could find a junkyard and do a simple plug it in nad see if it works in 5 seconds that would be great but used changer all seem to high even used. I've heard the 6 CD changers had problems and I'm likely looking at more problems if I get a used one. Ant hint as to what the "CD error" might mean other than the player has just failed? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Seems the 6 CD changers were last installed in mid 2000, no one that I can find makes a replacement, so you are left with buying one from a junkyard wreck that will be at least 6 years old or paying $$$ for a rewiring a of a single in-dash CD player or a multi CD under seat player. As a CET I took a part the player and the motor that moves from one CD to another CD had failed and no replacement was found for that either and if even if there was one the labor would also be $$$ for a changer thats likely to fail due to age in a a year or so anyway. No simple solution that I can find.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Replace CD box harness with Aux connector

I don't know how the '94 CDC is connected to the head unit. If copper wire, many 3rd party CDCs could be substituted. If D2B fiber optics, this may work, even though not a CD changer - but it would get you music - Mercedes Player MP40 - Mercedes Player
Connection to CD is by 10wire connector top of head unit. Commonly referred to as block C on the head unit harness diagram. A block is head unit power and controls B is speaker lines out and C is CD playback unit.

For $15 you can purchase C block wire harness AUX jack which replaces the CD wiring harness and provides MP3/iPod playback. Search on google and you can find. I don't have the link with this PC...it was a pain to search the right terms and find the device..

http://www.autocaraccessoriesonline.com/servlet/the-148/BECKER-10-dsh-PIN-AUX-INPUT/Detail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts