Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 4 speed manual, 1994 C280
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've gone ahead and bought the c280 with the blown head gasket. Fixed that. Now for a couple of questions I can't find ansewers to:

1) Transmisssion shifts hard/ clunks in 2-3, will the key trick to change driver's style work with a '94? Or is this a sign of worn out tranny mount?

2) Passenger side trunk sounds like a pump is surging for a few minutes after start up. what could that be and how do I fix it?

3) Noticed the rear looks like it is sagging, is there a mount that I need to replace? (differential mount on a w126 will fix that)

4) Does anyone know what a yellow "H1" designation on a rear shock would mean?

5) How many of you spin wrenches on your own car?

Thanks for the help. Crash

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Problems by the number...

1) You've got the pure hydrallic transmision without Learing capabilities. There are some different adjustments possible to make it shift smother. These cars are actually designed to shift hard and at higher RPMs when cold to make the Cat. Converter heat up faster. One adjustment that works well for most of these older cars is changing the fluid! Worked for ours. If you feel a thump in the hump at shift points it's probably the tranny mount. Get under there and take a look. You can also get an idea from watching the motor while someone stands on the brakes and shifts from D to R etc. If the motor wiggles, yaws, or torques to much you will see the effects of a bad mount.

2) The noise your hearing is likely either the Aux. Vacuum Pump or the Fuel Pump is also under the car in that vicinity.

3) No Se. (No Clue in english)

4) See #3

5) I have on this car for the last 4 years since we've owned it. Had not worked on cars for about 10 years before that.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I need to find an owner's manual for this car. I think I found a repair CD but I will have to check on that.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Manuals on e-bay

I think the WIS cd's on e-bay cover the 280. Take a look and see. I hear they take up a large amount of space so you need to have a good computer.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, this is a sweet ride. I love my w126 diesel but at $4.75/gal I had to do something else. That will become the "Sunday" driver. The 280 has a couple of things that need fixing but right now nothing major:). at least since we did a head gasket. But she's 14 yrs old with 208k on the clock so there will be something.:surrender::thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
Crash Take a look at my post with Eureka Vacuum Leak, when the Secondary Vacuum pump acts up the leak is prevalent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts