Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sort of looking at adding another MB and found a decent '94 c280. My question for youguys that have/ do own one of these is how do you like it and what sort of grief has it given you? Thanks for the help.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm sort of looking at adding another MB and found a decent '94 c280. My question for youguys that have/ do own one of these is how do you like it and what sort of grief has it given you? Thanks for the help.:rolleyes:
wiring harness for me and my 95' C280 I haven't changed it because of the $$$. It leads to faulty ignition and alot of gremlins. I have only experienced one of my ignotion coils going out and losing two cylinders. If I shut off the car and turn it back on again its fine. This has happened to me 3 times in my two years w/her. So its not so much of an OMG, the other thing may be the Guage cluster needles sticking on the resting pegs. That can be fixed with 0.97 cents bottle of 90% volume Isopropyl Alcohol. Clean them and your set. The Combination stalk may wear out too. Check those three and also Check to see if /when the airbag has been replaced. I think they last every 10-12 years. Other than that I love the C280's =)

Why not go for a 1996 model year C280 it has the E-Class Climate Control System, Burlwood trim, rear trunk release, and Remote lock/unlock as standard options for the model year? Heck 97 would be even better with the updated body styling cues and 98 had the all new V-6 engine, dropped the hydraulic tranny and in came the 5speed tranny with W/S mode as well as Side impact airbags standard.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'll do some searches for the items you have mentioned. Any one else? This seems like a tight little benz to own, I do alot of 70- 80mph driving and want something that can hold up and be solid.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I replaced the wiring harness and head gasket when I got it. Other than maintenance, it has driven like a champ for the 5 yrs and 10 months I have owned it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I replaced the wiring harness and head gasket when I got it. Other than maintenance, it has driven like a champ for the 5 yrs and 10 months I have owned it.
=( Had my car sent to dealer for Brake and suspension check... Draglink assembly is toast with Steering shock leaking and Head gasket Leaking Oil

·
Registered
3 Posts
My C280 was abused by someone's family while he was away in the military. Before he left, he was driving it 6 hours a day at 70 miles per hour on a particularly lousy highway due to a work situation. When I got the car, his normal use, and his family's dogging the car left me to replace the entire suspension system dragon link, reseal the engine, replace the tranny heat sheild, as it had come loose and now was causing a fire hazzard, and many more things I can't remember. $4500 worth of work at The Stealership and I still ended up rebuilding the engine for another $3,00. I am still trying to figure out how to fix the auto lock system, as use of the driver's door leaves the passerger rear still locked, and using the the passenger door lock leaves the driver door locked. (Its not the pump, I have tried that already) I have yet to replace the wire harness, although I am thinking that I may just rewrap it with electrical tape instead. I too have had the need to turn it off and restart it hear and there.

Now that I have the car in a good place, the ownership experience is ok. Other than needing to buy two different repair manuals to try to make some sense of the thing, it has been easy to take care of.

One other thing, for the sticking gauge needles:
SAVE TIME AND MONEY!:D
find a craft store, or a grandmother who has "pipecleaners" These are little braided wires with fuzzy bristles coming off of them. Many of you may have played with them, and or, made stick men (and other crafts) out of them in elementary school. You simply wet the end of one with alcohol, push it through the space between the knobs for the trip odo and the clock settings and the plastic panel and manipulate them like your own space shuttle controlled robot arm. You can clean all the needes and posts this way. You will save yourself HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS and lots of time and aggrivation. BEST OF ALL, PIPE CLEANERS COST 5 CENTS EACH! They can be reused as well. I keep one in the glove box at all times.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Does car have service history?

Get a pre-purchase inspection at a good independent shop.

And remember, this is a 14 year old Mercedes that will cost as much to repair as the car is worth, so it's important to get the best used car you can find.

Pre-purchase inspection is the key.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Also remember that old cars don't have to be brought up to 'as new' specs, they just have to be safe and reliable. A couple of oil drips don't hurt anybody, but they do make thousands for the dealers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts