Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I love the forum and really am amazed by the depth of knowledge in the forum. What has brought me here again is the fact that I managed, unknowingly, to get a 1993 600SL that was imported from Germany. When I got it, I didn't know anything about 600SLs but I enjoy tinkering and have worked on my fair share of cars over the years and this car looked like it could be a lot of fun for $4000. Since I have owned the car, it has been running a little rough and is missing every once in a while. With that in mind, I decided it was time to change the spark plugs and wires. How hard could it be? Well, I broke a few boots trying to extract them from the plugs but I wasn't too worried because I knew, from this forum, that the wires from AutohausAZ were pretty good and not as outrageously expensive as other options. So, I ordered those and they came as promised but... they don't work for my car! See picture attached. The one on the left is the new one. I called AutohausAZ and they said they couldn't help me since they have no part number for the German version but were able to refund me the cost of the wires. I have searched all over this forum and can't find anything for German specific models. I'm hoping I missed a sticky thread or something obvious that someone can point me to. I went as far as calling Mercedes Benz Classic and they told me I have to buy the boots and the wires and then use some crimping tool from Beru that isn't made anymore and has no part number and they have no idea how to get a hold of one. Oh, and they can sell me the boots for only $90 a piece! Anyway, it seems like there should be a NAPA equivalent in Germany that sells the ignition wires or something to help me out...? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any guidance on pulling the intake manifold would be great! I looked for a guide here and couldn't find any step by step procedures, just references to the fact that you have to do it. That actually leads me to my next concern: Does anyone know if the intake manifold gasket is the same for the German vs the American engine?

-Jared

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Are they genuine mb wires?

Have you tried fitting them on the spark plug? To me they look like an aftermarket option which has a lip on the wire so dirt doesn’t slip down into the spark plug area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
IMHO, you are making an assumption that both of those wires are for a 1993 SL600 with the difference being the country in which the car would be driven.

That seems like an odd variation for a manufacturer. The only way that would make sense to me is if the rest of the top end of the engine is also different depending on country of usage.

Could it be the car was mis-labelled as a 1993 MY when it was imported?

Could it be the engine is not really from a 1993 SL600?

Or could the aftermarket parts manufacturer have made an incorrect assumption and lumped 1993 SL600 wires in with other year SL600s, or even other models, as all being the same?

What throws me off here is the difference in length of those boots from bottom to where it meets the wire. I am assuming the shorter one doesn't reach far enough to make a connection as the longer one (correct one) does?

If it were me, I'd put my money on it being an incorrect application listed by the aftermarket company, not being the country where the car was originally sold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO, you are making an assumption that both of those wires are for a 1993 SL600 with the difference being the country in which the car would be driven.

That seems like an odd variation for a manufacturer. The only way that would make sense to me is if the rest of the top end of the engine is also different depending on country of usage.

Could it be the car was mis-labelled as a 1993 MY when it was imported?

Could it be the engine is not really from a 1993 SL600?

Or could the aftermarket parts manufacturer have made an incorrect assumption and lumped 1993 SL600 wires in with other year SL600s, or even other models, as all being the same?

What throws me off here is the difference in length of those boots from bottom to where it meets the wire. I am assuming the shorter one doesn't reach far enough to make a connection as the longer one (correct one) does?

If it were me, I'd put my money on it being an incorrect application listed by the aftermarket company, not being the country where the car was originally sold.
Thanks for your prompt replies! You are 100% correct! I allowed them to convince me that the problem was due to the fact that it is a German import while having the same thoughts you articulated in the back of my mind. So, I decided to go down to the local parts shop and have them show me pictures of the plugs for this model car. The pictures matched the original plugs exactly. So, I got the brand and part numbers and looked those up on line. I ended up finding an open box Denso (Denso is the OEM - P/N: 671-9002) on eBay for $100 with free shipping instead of the $700 the parts store wanted! I haven't gotten them yet so it may be too good to be true but we will see. I guess that's why no one in the forum ever talked about different plugs for German vs US cars!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, this has been a little bit of a research project for me and I would like to know if I'm missing something. Apparently, Karlyn provides two different styles of plug wires for this car. If you go to https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1993/mercedes/600sl/engine_electrical/spark_plug_wire_set.html you see that there are two different plug wires listed for this car. The Karlyn one at the top (P/N W0133-2220509) is the one that is for my car and they match all the pictures I've seen of the wires in this engine. The second one down, 6320-05804606, is the one AutohausAZ sent me that can not work for this engine. AutohausAZ said that they have shipped several of them in the last year and haven't gotten any returns. So, I'm a little confused.

I guess I am just wondering what this means about the engine in my car. It's just strange that Karlyn would offer two different plug wires for the same year and the same model car but one of them won't work in my car and doesn't match any of the pictures I've found and why the ones that don't work in my car have never been returned to AutohausAZ before.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I guess I am just wondering what this means about the engine in my car.
I would compare those part #s for model years before and after yours to see if it appears there was a mid year change in the engine, and if so, is yours a newer or later version.

I also would compare those part #s with the 12cyl sedans and see if and how they might line up.

The important part is you found the right ones!

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
I got my SL600 because I like working on cars too and the V12 was a new challenge. The entire car is a complex vehicle, not just the engine.

Here's the Uber Allies link to common V12 specific repairs.

V12 Uber Alles, Repair Help for Mercedes Benz S600 V12 W140

The intake manifold adapters/spacers (the parts that go between the manifold and the head) prior to 1996 aren't made of aluminum like the later years and do leak over time. The cure is to replace the gaskets, intake O-rings and spacers (you will be putting the aluminum ones in). I think I talked about changing my gaskets and O-rings in a prior thread, but a few folks have done the same maintenance. And there's a specific video by Victor (love his stuff), but I can't find it right now. This one will get you started.

I would recommend thinking about powder coating the manifold and valve covers (magnesium) while they are off the car (if they are in bad shape). I also replaced the EASY to round out stock super soft Allen head intake bolts for ARP stainless. You can consider using new bolts for the spacers too and ABSOLUTELY stuff rags or paper towels down the intake ports before removing the spacers or you could drop a washer or bolt in. Plan on cleaning out the bottom of the valley and inspecting the emission cans there.

Party on!

·
Registered
307 Posts
So, this has been a little bit of a research project for me and I would like to know if I'm missing something. Apparently, Karlyn provides two different styles of plug wires for this car. If you go to https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1993/mercedes/600sl/engine_electrical/spark_plug_wire_set.html you see that there are two different plug wires listed for this car. The Karlyn one at the top (P/N W0133-2220509) is the one that is for my car and they match all the pictures I've seen of the wires in this engine. The second one down, 6320-05804606, is the one AutohausAZ sent me that can not work for this engine. AutohausAZ said that they have shipped several of them in the last year and haven't gotten any returns. So, I'm a little confused.

I guess I am just wondering what this means about the engine in my car. It's just strange that Karlyn would offer two different plug wires for the same year and the same model car but one of them won't work in my car and doesn't match any of the pictures I've found and why the ones that don't work in my car have never been returned to AutohausAZ before.

You’re not doing yourself any favours here as per my initial response did you even try to fit the wires/plugs or just look at them and go oh they are different so they don’t work?

The links you just posted, did you read the product description?

Part Number: W0133-2220509
Detailed Notes: This is an STI assembled wire set using Beru and Bremi components.

Part Number: 6320-05804606
Notes: Bremi-STI Spark Plug Wire Set -- Bremi-STI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You’re not doing yourself any favours here as per my initial response did you even try to fit the wires/plugs or just look at them and go oh they are different so they don’t work?
I did try them in hopes that they would work because I really need to get the car out of where it is but they were not long enough to even reach the plugs. Also they aren't designed to seal at the top of the intake manifold, like the original ones, so even if they would reach, I don't think I would want to use them.

The links you just posted, did you read the product description?

Part Number: W0133-2220509
Detailed Notes: This is an STI assembled wire set using Beru and Bremi components.

Part Number: 6320-05804606
Notes: Bremi-STI Spark Plug Wire Set -- Bremi-STI
I did read those descriptions but I don't see anything that clarifies why they would be different and why they wouldn't fit the same engine as they linked to. The only clue is that the ones that work in my engine have a reference to Beru, which is what Mercedes referenced, but that is no indicator as to what engine the other ones would work in and why there is such a difference in plug design. Also, why would all the pictures I have ever seen look like the Beru referenced plug wires and not the other set, yet I'm told that the other set are the ones that have never been returned.

I got my SL600 because I like working on cars too and the V12 was a new challenge. The entire car is a complex vehicle, not just the engine.

Here's the Uber Allies link to common V12 specific repairs.

V12 Uber Alles, Repair Help for Mercedes Benz S600 V12 W140

The intake manifold adapters/spacers (the parts that go between the manifold and the head) prior to 1996 aren't made of aluminum like the later years and do leak over time. The cure is to replace the gaskets, intake O-rings and spacers (you will be putting the aluminum ones in). I think I talked about changing my gaskets and O-rings in a prior thread, but a few folks have done the same maintenance. And there's a specific video by Victor (love his stuff), but I can't find it right now. This one will get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQWnvGcUjP4

I would recommend thinking about powder coating the manifold and valve covers (magnesium) while they are off the car (if they are in bad shape). I also replaced the EASY to round out stock super soft Allen head intake bolts for ARP stainless. You can consider using new bolts for the spacers too and ABSOLUTELY stuff rags or paper towels down the intake ports before removing the spacers or you could drop a washer or bolt in. Plan on cleaning out the bottom of the valley and inspecting the emission cans there.

Party on!
Thanks mahunt! These are some great articles and I'll go through them. I just really need to get the work done as quickly as possible, since the car can't stay where it is. Hopefully, I can get the manifold off and the new wires in place in a few days. I did get new intake manifold gaskets from AutohousAZ and I'm really hoping they work better than the plug wires did. I got the following when I got the wires because I didn't know about the fix you are suggesting:

ElringKlinger Intake Manifold Gasket; Intermediate Flange to Head - P/N: 1201410280
Elring Klinger Intake Manifold Gasket - P/N: EK-1041411080

In any case, I'll look further into what you are suggesting and if I can do that instead I may. Any more thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

-Jared

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links! They have helped me get a better understanding of what I’m getting into. I was super excited when I saw the link to Changing the Viscous Fan Clutch but there are no pictures there anymore! Darn! Oh well. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any clear documentation on how to actually remove the intake manifold but that’s ok. I’ll figure it out too. That’s all part of the fun!

Here is the problem: I’ve got the car in my parent’s garage in Ohio and I just wanted to change the plugs before shipping it to Colorado, where I now live. However; it seems like if I’m going to go through the trouble of taking the intake manifold off, I might as well do a bunch of other work at the same time. With that in mind, what I’m wondering now is if I can temporarily run the plug wires over the top of the intake manifold, just so I can get it running enough to get it on and off the transporter. Then, when it is in Colorado, I can do the job right.

I guess I’ll find out for sure when I’m back in Ohio in a couple of weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
jared0803
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing