Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 Mercedes 300TD Wagon Diesel

Was this available in North America? I suspect it's grey market.
Aren't there supposed to be side vents on the right hand side for increased air flow/cooling?

Any thoughts on the car?
I've been having a bunch of small nagging problems with my wagon and was looking at a replacement ... wonder if this has possibilities.

I searched the threads and came across mixed results for the OM602 2.5L 5 cylinder engine.
Some love it and say it's trouble free; but then I've read that this engine was prone to warping etc. - who's right !?!??!

What about pricing ... too much?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Yeah, that's grey market. If it's a 2.5L, then it would actually be labeled as a 250TD. The OM602 was probably one of the most robust and efficient diesel engines MB produced, at least in turbo form. If it's not a turbo, then you may consider it to be a tad underpowered. Definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's grey market. If it's a 2.5L, then it would actually be labeled as a 250TD. The OM602 was probably one of the most robust and efficient diesel engines MB produced, at least in turbo form. If it's not a turbo, then you may consider it to be a tad underpowered. Definitely worth checking out.

Hi Zeitgeist, good call on the turbo ... I was thinking of NA versions for 1993 came as 300D 2.5 with turbo as standard; but since this is most likely a grey market - any variation is possible including non turbo which would make it really slow. (<90 hp I think).

My 1985 300DS (617) has been so trouble free and relatively maintenance free compared to the E320 gasser.

·
Registered
16,754 Posts
It's definitely grey market. If you look at one of the pictures, the original steel wheels with the so called "UFO" hubcaps are still in the cargo hatch area. Also note the Euro sidemarkers w/o reflectors and of course the Euro E code headlights.

That thing would be even better if it has a 5 speed manual, and being grey market the possibility is great.

Since it does not have the air intake snorkel integrated into the passenger front fender, I am going to guess it is a non turbo OM602.

All the turbo OM602s and all the OM606s (non-turbo) all had the fender air intake.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have one, a 5 speed manual
If your looking for a cruiser , great ! if your used to a turbo MB diesel you will be disappointed as the performance is , shall we say "relaxed".
Expect 30-35 MPG on a run and 500-600 miles on a tank of fuel.
I can only speak from personal experience, but my car has been A1 reliable over the last 18 months with only the usual lifter noise (no problem) and suspension pump seals done as a precaution (very cheap)
Just passed 400.000 kms ;o)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts