Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful 1993 500E and while on the road today the light bulb warning light, ASR and the ABS lights came on. Do anyone know the cause of this problem

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have a beautiful 1993 500E and while on the road today the light bulb warning light, ASR and the ABS lights came on. Do anyone know the cause of this problem
In the 88 300 all those bulbs are on the same side of the dash and unlike the battery,water temp, oil etc on the right which run off bulbs locked into the circuit board, these are individual leads and bulb sockets.

Assuming nothing has changed in layout design (which it frequently doesn't) it would imply that something behind the cluster has gone astray that these items connect to ! Perhaps a relay behind the cluster ?

Just had a browse at 92-95 fuse layout and I believe each of those run of different fuses ! 5 is Bulb Failure, 6 is ABS and 7 is ASR on my diagram (may be different on yours you will need to check).

Beyond that can't offer much at this time.

Did you notice anything untoward in the vehicles performance when they came on ?

·
W124 Moderator
12,605 Posts
I would check your voltage at the battery while the car is running. You'll need to see 14+ volts. These cars are very sensitive to correct voltage. I'd also check/replace every fuse with copper ones.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
16,791 Posts
It's likely the voltage regulator is no longer working right or the carbon brushes are worn down. You should be seeing somewhere around 13.5V @ idle and close to 14V @ 2000RPMs when measured from the cigarette lighter, slightly higher if measuring directly at the battery. Also, you should be using a group49 battery size only. Smaller batteries don't work well in these electrically loaded cars.

If all the idiot lights are coming on like a christmas tree, then you have your classic Appollo 13 "main bus B undervolt" condition. In the case of my '95 wagon, the only cure was a new alternator. Only get a genuine MB alternator or one that was rebuilt by Bosch, not a Autozone/O'Reilly's special.

Since your car is part of the eco-wiring era, make sure all 3 wiring harnesses are sound or have been replaced at some earlier time. The original eco wiring causes electrical nightmares.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also, you should be using a group49 battery size only. Smaller batteries don't work well in these electrically loaded cars.
Is that true only for the 500s, or are you making that statement across all 124s? I know the battery in my E320 is the wrong one (too small), and if I replace it, I want to get the right thing. Auto parts stores and Costco never have them in stock around here, so it's hard to know having never seen one.

·
66,898 Posts
Fakebrabus, I think your car is toast! I must come over and take it from you.
Sounds like the battery is failing or the alternator not charging. I had a similar issue with the 560SEL while on the road and ended up stranded when the alternator cable failed. It was corroded at the connector.

·
Registered
16,791 Posts
Is that true only for the 500s, or are you making that statement across all 124s? I know the battery in my E320 is the wrong one (too small), and if I replace it, I want to get the right thing. Auto parts stores and Costco never have them in stock around here, so it's hard to know having never seen one.
A group 49 battery is the right size of any W124, even the bottom feeder 4 cylinder W124s.

I use a Bosch group 49 battery in 2 out of my 3 W124s, one a E320 the other a E300 DIESEL. Excellent battery for the price ($100 @ Pep Boys) and comes with a 3 year replacement, 8 year pro-rated warranty. It's got at least 850CCA or 1000CA, more than enough juice to turn over any W124 powerplant.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Wiring harnesses, and throttle(with same wire insulation inside it). Do a search and welcome to the biodegradable nightmare.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts