Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys thanks for reading.So here are my issues.I bought a 1993 300te wagon that supposivly the Head gasket was blown.Which turned out to be a clogged radiator and bad thermostat.I replaced both and now the car no longer overheats.Goes to about 90 and stays there.Now on to the next issue I have an ASR light on.But no ABS light.I cleaned the wheels sensors off which were covered in metallic chips.Still the ASR light stays on.I noticed a few bare wires but traced those back to the starter.The only issue i can notice visually is that my throtle cable is worn out.Would this throw any ASR issues?I checked the harness and all seams fine minus the starter wires being bare.Other than that I cant tell if the harness has been replaced.But any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Issues:ASR Light stays on

things checked:wheels sensors on the front cleaned and reinstalled, checked wiring didnt notice any bare wires except for the starter ones.

Any help would be great thanks guys and I will keep you posted if not i am parting it out lol:crybaby2:

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Build the code reader and check the fault codes on the 16 pin connector near the battery. There's both an upper and lower engine harness. Sounds like your lower (starter and alternator) is definitely shot.

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok are there any links to build this so called code reader?I will definatlly look into the harness sometime tonight maybe this weekend.Will a bad throttle cable trigger an ASR Fault?And I partially traced the harness and couldnt see where it goes to the alternator.I Just know theres 4 wires that are completly stripped.I can get that harness for 150 bucks brand new.Anybody else have any opnions?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Do a search for building the code reader. Yes, a throttle cable can trigger an ASR light, along with dozens of other things big and small. The lower harness is $86 at parts.com, also fairly easy to rebuild.

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ordered a new starter harness it will be here friday, and a new throttle cable.Then I will attempt to build the Code reader.Wish me Luck guys hopefully the ASR light disappears.I doubt it but atleast I am attempting this P.I.T.A.:bowdown:

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I changed out the Starter harness since it was cracked and dry rotted and showed several wires without insolation.Now my problem is I stall have that G0Ddamn ASR Light.Anybody else have any ideas or ways to trouble shoot?Other than that I am putting it on CL :crybaby2:

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,511 Posts
You may want to look at these wiring diagrams located here: SUPPLEMENT 14 - W124 WIRING DIAGRAMS

ABS with ASR 152 152-1
ABS with ASR/Electronic Accelerator152-4

You will see approximately 35 wires connected to the ABS/ASR Control Unit with components or connections at the end of each one. Seems that about half of them go to the ABS/ASR Hydraulic Unit; with the others going to electronic accelerator control unit, OVP, Stop Lamp Switch, pressurizing pump, warning lamps, wheel speed sensors and the like.

You know ,, some have replaced the OVP to correct this problem and light goes out. The code reader can cancel a code like this too. Just build it, connect it, press the button a few times and like magic, the light goes out.

Code Readers
2-wire
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1555153-300te-idle-too-high.html#post4444916

3-wire
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1197556-diagnostic-codes.html#post1394669

Codes
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1514929-check-engine-code-16-a.html#post4105180

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,511 Posts
I'm pretty sure that until a code is cleared the light will stay on. You clear the code with the code reader. After you read all of the codes then clear them.

Go back and read them again to see if they were cleared or not. If not then you may want to post them here.

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I will attempt to build the code reader today.My wiring harness looks fine like i said i cut the insolation off in a few places and the wires are like brand new and you can bend them.But like I said the car Is in LIMP MODE and drives like shit lol.But I will build the code reader from the supplied adds and see if i can successfully build one.I really want to build this car since my w126 500sec is killing me on gas right now.But thanks for your guys help I will keep you posted on the codes.

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok so I built the code reader and found my codes, But the ASR light remains on.What do you guys think it is? On Pin#8 I have codes 8 and 22, and on PIN# 14 I have code 2 and 3.Any more help from you guys is greatly appreciated and thanks for the help so far.:thumbsup:.Any ideas on what I should replace or look at next?Thanks guys

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,511 Posts
Now tell us that you understand how to use the code reader and that you have indeed cleared the codes.

Here is an excerpt from one set of instructions:"6. I went back to step-2 to read the first code, immediately after the 3 flashes I held the button for 6 seconds to clear the stored code. Then repeated this procedure for the remaining 2 stored codes. When I was done codes 3 and 8 were erased, but as Randy stated, 10 would not erase."

And I believe these are the codes for those pins: E320 16 PIN DTC Charts inc. pin 8, pin 14 - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok i never resetted them but now I did and on Pin 8 code 22 remains and on pin 14 code 3 remains but i can reset that one but it keeps coming back.so 22 on pin 8 and code 3 on pin 14 thanks for your help so far my friend:bowdown:

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,511 Posts
Which of these is yours?
300TE 1985-93 124.090 103.983 KE
300TE 1985-93 124.092 103.983 KE
300TE 4MATIC 1987-93 124.290 103.985 KE

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a 1993 300te non 4matic. I havent done anything to verify the OVP relay is bad honestly.I tried to put another one in I found at the junkyard and The car stayed running with no key in it LOL.But I keep resetting the codes they keep coming back it is code 8 and 22 on pin 8 and code 3 on pin 14, I have the 16 pin dignostic plug.Thanks for the schematic I will just try to read up on it.Like I said the car drives but still in limp home mode.Thanks for your help bro If i get it figured out I will come to ATL and take you out to dinner.:bowdown:

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,511 Posts
If it were mine then a brand new OVP would be on order and I would take the other ones to River Street and try to throw them to SC.

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
LOL what do those normally run?I am so pissed I cant get the ASR light to reset.I am going to check the plugs today since its saying something about the coilpacks being bad.But anyways I guess the next part to swap is the OVP relay and to try to fix those 2 faults.Hey if you get a chance call me lol 912 508 2203 David Oh what does this code mean Right EA/CC/ISC actuator (left cylinder bank) (M16/1)

·
Registered
1999 E430
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anybody else chim in there 2 cents?And whats this code mean? Or the codes I am throing but the one i cant figure out is Oh what does this code mean Right EA/CC/ISC actuator (left cylinder bank) (M16/1)?Can anybody tell me and the code 22 is i am assuming its a Bad coil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts