Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through the forum for these answers but a combination of being a newbie and the search functions not being great has me asking what i hope are obvious and easy to answer questions. The full project is to replace all four wheel bearings (three are obviously and dangerously bad, i figure i might as well do the fourth). I am setting up this thread to capture the whole procedure for the front wheels. I have successful removed the brake caliper, rotor, and axle retaining nut so far. (FYI 4matic front drive doesn't engage and i am not looking to fix it)

How do i remove the front axle so that, A) I can replace the front bearing, and B) replace the inner CV boot (ripped)? All of the instructions I have found online deal only with rwd vehicles and the axle looks just different enough for my untrained eye to have me asking here. I included a picture of what i am seeing.

IMG_6396.jpg

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Graham,

First, welcome to the forum. Its great to get new blood - especially those who want to help themselves with their repairs. I have a couple of suggestions:

- The search feature, as you have found, is useless. Instead, use Google. Enter as few words as you can to describe what you are interested in and make sure you include W124 so you have a better chance of getting "hits' for info that is relevant to your car. I took your problem with axle removal, searched using Google, and found this link. Its odd that Google can find Benzworld content better than Benzworld but that's another story.

I'm not totally sure this is all you need; I was more trying to illustrate what you can find.

- Five threads down from the top of this forum page you will find a DIY section. Within it, among with a lot of "common problem" type of information you will find a link to the Factory Service Manual. It has a lot of info that will help as you go through various procedures you want to pursue. I am sure there is a write up on how to remove the axles so why not take a look. I'm not trying to blow you off, there are lots of folks here who will help. I just wanted to show you where you could find info in case all of the other members won Power Ball.

Good luck with your Benz

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
The wheels on the 4Matic are basically all the same. There is a very expensive German tool that will remove the wheel bearing assembly on the car. However, if the car is a TE all bets are off on the rear bearings because of water/rust issues. Most of us take the wheel hub off and take it to at least a 30 ton press. If you have good press experience, you can use mandrels to keep from ruining your brake backing assembly. If not you will destroy it and you'll have to get another for assembly once you get the OE bearing.

I never used the German tool, but a member here bought one. He didn't exactly follow the instructions and so it was a comedy of errors, but I think he got it done. If you troll YouTube you'll find the use of the tool and some clone tools.

Peachparts has folks who will rent the tool. But....the carriers charge so much now to ship heavy items, you'd be paying for a good portion of the tool in just shipping charges. Plus to rent the tool, thanks to rampant miscreant dishonesty, they ask that you pay for the whole tool up front and then trust that they send you your money back sans whatever you agreed to for a rental price......and you pay shipping both ways, of course. This is ceasing to be a viable option with heavy tools.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your welcome and good info

I’ve looked through the diy section and see a ton of useful info- unfortunately nothing about removing the front axle on a 4matic. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, section 33 in the "service manual with index", in the DIY section illustrates removal of front axle shafts. sub section 33-0260 covers 4-matic axle shafts.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
The axles on the 4Matic telescope and can be removed collapsed. One is a real bear because it affords you only one configuration out (I think it's the passenger axle). When removing them, turn the steering as far to the right as you possibly can.....or maybe it's the left.....use the FSM, it tells you that much.

As frustrating as they are, they DO come out when you hit their sweet space under the car. Don't collapse them too roughly or you'll punch out their dust/dirt shields on the inboard part of the shafts.

Until you get the feel for it, use a decent torque wrench and proper spec to finish your lug bolts. Tire store didn't do mine right one time and I had three come out 200 miles from town. Could have been a disaster but pulled over, found the jettisoned lug bolts and put everything back together.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tuttebenne andd Real1shepherd, thanks for both of your tips and comments. Having access to MB instructions and this forum to help me understand them is fantastic. Next stop some driveway wrenching. will update when i hit the next issue.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the slide hammer arrived and i pulled the hub off with a lot of effort and the outer race. then i broke my nice bearing puller. i had been stymied by the circlip but a cold chisel to brake it free of the rust and a second set of hands to help pry it out did the trick.

Since my bearing puller broke i will probably remove the whole steering knuckle and have the rest of the bearing pressed out - any thoughts on compressing the spring without the special Mercedes tool? can i set the car down on the control arm?

IMG_6414.jpg IMG_6419.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
Yeah, you put a floor jack under the control arm and lift. You don't need a spring compressor to do this job. I have done all four wheels. Same with putting in new shocks/struts or removing same.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
There are two schools of thought on this. You can choose whichever makes the most sense for/to you. You will have the strut disconnected, the sway bar off, as well as the entire steering knuckle. The only thing keeping the spring from launching itself will be the lower control arm and the weight of the car. I personally would never attempt this but others have with success. Of course, those who have failed at it haven't lived to post about it.

Where do you live? If you were near me, on Long Island, I would offer you the loan of my Klann compressor. If you are somewhere else, we have lots of members on the forum who might consider doing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
The only thing you need the spring compressor for is to replace the spring. Make sure you have the car up on its front jack point for that side, securely and then use your floor jack under the control arm.

I've never done it, but I've seen pics where if the car is high enough, you can let the control arm far enough down that you can just remove the spring by hand. Everything to the control arm disconnected of course.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scary amounts of force in there. Unfortunately I’m in rural ny, so it will be the scary technique - setting the car down on blocking to take the force of the spring. Unfortunately I’m wrenching in the lawn so I dare not put a traditional floor jack under there as it will the castors would be pressed into the lawn. That said my blocking game is high, my blocks are hardwood and the car is heavy.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
Make sure your blocking is oversize and suitably stacked to avoid any movement. Yrs ago I was trying to block up my TE on all corners...wasn't quite finished and the geometry let the car walk forward. No harm done, but made me rethink the geometry....lol.

Take it from someone that has worked in the dirt a lot....a suitably thick piece of plywood can become your floor jack floor.

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
3 Participants
Real1shepherd
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing