Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Sportsline 2.6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 190E 6cyl. Mercedes benz. It is starting to over heat and I am losing fluid. Some is on the drivers floor board and steam is coming out of the vents. i also see some fluid leaking after my car when I drive. What could be the possible problems and where and what should I look for. I have done so much to this car it just seems to be one thing after another. I have been told and the info that I have looked upo said that it is a rare care, only 6-700 made. It has the different suspension and different interior. I am not ure if I should keep it or get rid of it. It is great loooking on the outside. Can anyone help. I am disabled and lost my left leg a few years ago so I am on disability now . Being on a fixed income I cannot just take my car in and get it fixed. I would really appreciate the help. Thank You!

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,395 Posts
Without some detailed maintenance history and close up photos, it is really tough to tell.

Many overheat problems start with a very old and leaking radiator cap. Then, a cracked overflow reservoir is the next culprit. Next come leaky hoses and weakened hose clamps throughout the cooling system from front to rear. Poorly installed hoses with the wrong hose clamps could be the culprit here. Many DIY-ers do not correctly tighten and seal the hoses so rivulets of coolant come right out of the connection areas. A stuck thermostat will quickly boil over the system.

Once you examine and replace these items, move on to the heavier equipment. The water pump may be unable to hold internal pressure because of a bad seal. Replacing it is a day's job. The radiator itself is a problem because those plastic tanks on the sides of the element can crack. Especially known among Benz owners are the inlet ports which are known to break off with years of use.

I hope this is a start. Can you also add your information to your profile and upload lots of photos of the engine compartment. We'll try to help you all we can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will go out ant take some pictures today of the inside, outside and engine compartment. I will also finish filling out my profile. Hopefully it will be something that I can fix myself and get it back on the road. i love the car but I am getting frustrated with the problems. I do not want to have to get rid of this caur cause I love it and also, I do not have the money to get rid of it and get another car.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
If it's leaking in the cabin it could be the heater core, or a hose leading to it.

Edit: rjb190e beat me to it.

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
Yup - heater core. You need to remove your dash to get to it. I would highly recommend NOT driving your car if overheating. You need to fix it or get it fixed.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
you can temporarly bypass the heater core till you can fix the issue and see if thats the issue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fluid is leaking out underneath the driverside mat and then leaking on the groundfrom a hole that is underneath the frame where the door closes. I am goingf to have a friend look at it tomorrow and thensee if it is leaking from the hose to the heater core or if it is the heater core itself leaking. I hope it is not the heater core cfause I edo not have the money ay all to get it fixed. It is going to cost me around $1000 to get it fixed

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
If it is dripping on the ground then that may be a symptom of a leaking or clogged evaporator for the a/c.

If the evaporator overflows or is clogged it can also leak inside the cabin, or create puddles below the vehicle.

Although, if you are magically loosing coolant have a known good head and gasket, I would lean towards a failed heater core.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I temporarorly fixed the heater core issue on my 1993 190e Sportsline

I rerouted the hoses to bypass the heater core until I can fix it properly. But now I have a constant dripping leak which at first it looked like it was coming down the back of the engine rolling down the front of my oil pan and then dripping. Last saturday and a friend and I took off the air cleaner to get a better look, and it seems that it is leaking from the gasket from around the water pump or the pump may have gone bad. There is no oil in the antifreeze and there is no water in the oil when I check the oil. Does anybody have any suggestions ? If it is the water pump could someone please tell me the easiest steps in taking out and putting on a new water pump? Please. Also, does anyone know of any place that I could go online that would show me diagrams and tell me how to do this? I love my Mercedes but money is very tight at the moment.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
go spend $20 and get a haynes/chilton repair manual...it's got step by step instructions w/ pictures

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3 8V
34 Posts
I rerouted the hoses to bypass the heater core until I can fix it properly. But now I have a constant dripping leak which at first it looked like it was coming down the back of the engine rolling down the front of my oil pan and then dripping. Last saturday and a friend and I took off the air cleaner to get a better look, and it seems that it is leaking from the gasket from around the water pump or the pump may have gone bad. There is no oil in the antifreeze and there is no water in the oil when I check the oil. Does anybody have any suggestions ? If it is the water pump could someone please tell me the easiest steps in taking out and putting on a new water pump? Please. Also, does anyone know of any place that I could go online that would show me diagrams and tell me how to do this? I love my Mercedes but money is very tight at the moment.
Dam dude I'm sorry how far away are you from seattle? I might be able to help you out if your not too far away cause I have a haynes manual!

·
190E, SLK350
67,183 Posts
The heater core like everyone else pointed out. You will have to take the dash out to fix it!
Your other leak around the water pump might just be the gasket but there is a weeping hole on water pumps and if it's leaking from that hole the you need to replace the pump.
It's not a difficult job but it's time consuming. Like Turnpike pointed out, get the Haynes, it's got a step by step process for water pump service. It really is a great book.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to everyone. i am going to go find a repair manual and go from ther. does anyone have n idea hat a 993 190E sportsline is wrth. i hheard they made arrouund 500 to 600. just curius. h yeah i ut in a new strut and iit drives so uch smoother!!!!

·
190E, SLK350
67,183 Posts
thanks to everyone. i am going to go find a repair manual and go from ther. does anyone have n idea hat a 993 190E sportsline is wrth. i hheard they made arrouund 500 to 600. just curius. h yeah i ut in a new strut and iit drives so uch smoother!!!!
I have no idea what you said, do you suffer from ADD or you're missing keys on the keyboard?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no idea what you said, do you suffer from ADD or you're missing keys on the keyboard?
Sorry it was the keyboard i was using. What I meant to say was " Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I am going to get a manual and go from there. Question.... Does anyone know what a 1993 190E 2.6 Sportsline is worth? I heard that they are rare, only 500 to 600 made. Just curious. Oh Yeah, I replaced the front drivers side strut and it drives wso much bettter!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sure could use the help. Once I get the engine in good working order I then will have to work on the original interior. I do not know how hard it is going to find the carbon fiber for the console and I need to re upholster the seats with the original sporttsline material. I also here that it is quite common for the back windows and sunroof to not work so I am going to need to find out what I have to do to fix those problems too. Not to mention the carpet either needs to be cleaned very well or have it replaced

·
190E, SLK350
67,183 Posts
Sorry it was the keyboard i was using. What I meant to say was " Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I am going to get a manual and go from there. Question.... Does anyone know what a 1993 190E 2.6 Sportsline is worth? I heard that they are rare, only 500 to 600 made. Just curious. Oh Yeah, I replaced the front drivers side strut and it drives wso much bettter!
No problems, enjoy the forum, you will learn a lot!

·
190E, SLK350
67,183 Posts
I sure could use the help. Once I get the engine in good working order I then will have to work on the original interior. I do not know how hard it is going to find the carbon fiber for the console and I need to re upholster the seats with the original sporttsline material. I also here that it is quite common for the back windows and sunroof to not work so I am going to need to find out what I have to do to fix those problems too. Not to mention the carpet either needs to be cleaned very well or have it replaced
Set your priorities on paper and write a reasonable dollar amount for each to accomplish. Readjust your priorities and work them according to what can be done, what you need versus what you want and set some realistic short, medium and long term goals.
Priority #2 WATER PUMP!
Priority #20 heater core
Priority #1 manage your money so you can pay for your expenses and not starve while working on a car that can wait ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts