Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the CPS off another motor that was already removed and am trying to remove the faulty one from the engine in the car... problem is after removing the one hold-down screw the darn thing won't come out... it twists but I can't pull it out... can get the pliers on it and twist it but that's all its doing... is there a secret method to this?

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,218 Posts
I think he's referring to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It probably has a flare on the end and not coming out.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,218 Posts
Yup. Great... the cable broke off it too so the car won't start... its not even coming out just a little... any suggestions?
Have you tried turning the crankshaft slightly? I found a procedure that recommends doing this because....

"If you can't remove the sensor (the screws are out but the sensor won't come out) then the sensor is 'stuck' in one of the vanes on the vane 'ring' that is on the crankshaft".

I'm not sure if this happens on MB's, but you might give it a try.

Another site I found mentions an O-ring that becomes brittle and recommends applying some penetrating oil.

I'm sure one of our forum members will post a solution soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried turning the crankshaft slightly? I found a procedure that recommends doing this because....

"If you can't remove the sensor (the screws are out but the sensor won't come out) then the sensor is 'stuck' in one of the vanes on the vane 'ring' that is on the crankshaft".

I'm not sure if this happens on MB's, but you might give it a try.

Another site I found mentions an O-ring that becomes brittle and recommends applying some penetrating oil.

I'm sure one of our forum members will post a solution soon.
I did turn the engine over via the starter to see if maybe there was some form of vacuum buildup holding it in place but that didn't help. I will keep trying and checking back. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E Saloon. M103 lump.
1,618 Posts
ccb now mind what your doing .On some mercedes gearboxes the box as to be removed to get the broken part out. You dont want to be in that position do you .The more that you break off the CPS then the harder it gets .For some reason when it was made the cps was oversize .So as it was fitted in there and locking it down just forces it in to the hole making it hard to remove. You could try some cellulose thinners on the plastic use a small brush to put it on the cps to try and rot it ,it might shrink the plastic, .You will be asking questions now if this idea is a failure , Good luck .

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,207 Posts
Hopefully since the OP last posted in May of 2008 this has been resolved by now....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts