Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 1992 E300D. The car is in beautiful shape with high miles but I'm not familiar with this model. Are there any problems or gotcha things I should look for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
mileage

What is your definition of "high" mileage?
Anything under 300k on these I dont think is high mileage.

Knowing mileage will help us zero in on potential "gotcha's" better too.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
These are great cars, and they have one of the best diesels MB ever produced. In addition to all the same issues that affect similar era 124s, I'd say that the relatively weak 722.4 transmission is an area of concern, as well as the by now aging engine management vacuum devices that control the EGR and turbo boost functions.

Of particular concern would be the vacuum pump, which if not addressed can eventually implode, sending tiny bits into the engine and potentially taking out the timing chain. An upgraded pump is available, and is less likely to suffer this catastrophe.

·
Registered
760 Posts
??

The E300D was made in 1995 only. The other 124 diesels were 300D in 1987 and from 1990-1993.

The weaknesses of the actual 95 E300D are biodegradable engine wiring harness, likely A/C evaporator leaks leading to replacement, highly likely glowplug seizure into head, and possible headgasket replacement. Otherwise, great car with high 20's mpg town and mid 30's mpg highway.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Once again, this is the 124 section, and the 124 E300D was only available here in NA in the 1995 MY. Please inform yourself and/or play in another section from here on out. Bye

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Posts #3 and #5 still have you mostly covered, even if it's a '95 MY. That's rather a high amount of mileage, but these cars, and in particular that engine can last for many more. Hopefully the price reflects the mileage

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Those engines were mounted for 1 year on W124 and for 2 years on W210 models. There is wealth of information about them in W210 section. Common problem at 10 years mark are deteriorating fuel lines, what is not a big deal to repair. Besides the engine surging I have not hear about any problems with them. If there is issue with vacuum pump on them, that would be the only time I hear it.
Than in lack of diesel section, we are advised to post diesel topics in General section.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts