Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a beautifully maintained, navy, 1992 600 SEL (from my brother!). Since I live in another state and I've never owned a Mercedes, I'm concerned about the maintainence on this car. Does anyone have any experience with it? He has told me that the only thing that does not work properly is the heater blower on the drivers' side - but since he lives in the South - it's not a problem. It will be for me since I'm in Denver... Any advice (should I run for or away from this deal?)directions, or suggestions on mechanic shops are appreciated.<br> <br> Kathy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I don't know much about this car in particular, but since no one has responded yet I will put in my 2 cents. Just from all I have heard, the W140s cost a fortune to fix and maintain and when coupled with a V-12 the costs go up even more. Maybe someone else can corroborate this...anyone?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kathy<br> <br> As Tobias rightly pointed out, these vehicles are a top range automotive excellence, a pleasure to own, provided adequate budgetary provision is allocated for routine maintenance and repairs which it might be as awesome as the vehicle itself, particularly if the owner's DIY abilities are not up to par. This should not put you off from acquiring this flagship of the 3-pointed star and the heater problem is really a minor issue. It is the owner's circumstances which will dictate whether the acquisition becomes an asset or a libility. However the experience of driving this liner, in my view, is worth the risk, even if it is for a short while......<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kathy,<br> <br> I don't know much on the 600, but I used to have a BMW 750 iL, which is also V12. Never had a problem, and maintenancewise it was no different that a regular car. Being a MB, I don't think that should be a problem. This V12 engines are built like military tanks, but as smooth as you won't believe.<br> <br> There is a real big problem though, once you drive a V12, you will never drive anything else...<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the price is right and the vehicle is sound go for it! It's a gorgeous car and I'm sure you'll derive a great deal of pleasure from it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't get it;;your brother owns this car;; what did he tell you about it ;; would'nt he be the one to ask how this car has treated him..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My question isn't about how the car has run for him as much as what to expect out of a car like this. For that information, I feel that MB experts are more qualified to answer that than a business man who just happened onto a beautiful car that he's owned for a few years.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go girl!!!you tell him!they are right the 140(that's you're body style-and mine)is expensive to fix but so is lexus,bmw.....the point is yes it's a great car and when everything is going right you'll be in heaven.i wouldn't think your brother would screw you over and just ask hin honestly -if the tables were turned,and knowing what he knows about the car,would he buy it off you.let me know what happens.good luck,it's a great car!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Kathy, (oops, Double posted),<br> <br> I also have a 600 (93 AMG 600 SEC) and am interested in how you went with the deal/what the car is like. I am still putting mine together and have not yet started it.Feel free to e-mail,<br> <br> Regards,<br> Karl<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Karl,<br> Yes, I got the car and it's all I hoped for! After I got it home I finished taking care of the things that were not working properly: the amplifier & the 10 disc cd changer, the heater blower on the driver's feet, some other things that I just wanted to do... It ended up costing me about $2850 in repairs, but then I've got a great car in pristine condition. Anyway, if I had the decision to again - I'd do it in a heartbeat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts