Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 sl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i had the car out and the top was working fine sow i parked the car in the garage and closed the top next day i went out with the car and the top didn,t work nothing sow i bought a new swicht for it , but no change roof doesnt work, the roll bar won,t move and no power on the roll bar swicth yes it comes on but shuts right off no leaks on the system and yes the pump is working i had it checked, now the question !! can mercedes tell me what is wrong with it for cheap? can they reset the system?/ is there a way of opening the top manually ?? i have my mechanic trying to fix it but no progress doest no much about convertibles!! he said that he read that the micro swicths have a problem when that car gets parked for a long period of time!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
soft top probelm

hi i had the same probelm on my sl and it was a metal strip type fuse in boot near the boot hinge on righthand side of car in a little fuse box in boot it had corroded and worked intermiatanly and became very brittle

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi guys have you checked the health of your batteries? Mercedes cars are very sensitive in that respect and a low battery can cause every kind of problems soft top ones included. More, try to operate the top with the engine running just to be on the safe side. If this still doesn't work try to reset any error codes the car might throw at you. How? Different car years have different methods of resetting error codes that's why we always suggest to fill profiles with the car year and your location: to help us help you in the quickest and best way.

Good luck for now and please report your findings.

Cheers.

·
Registered
500 sl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 92 500 sl how do i reset the computer on this 92?? and yes the battery is new!! i just dont wonna take the car to benz here in london ontario because they are a rip off!!

·
Registered
500 sl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How to reset the computer or codes on early (1992) SL??

I was wondering how do i reset the computer for a soft top or clear all the codes ??? is there a way or do i have to take it to the dealer??
like i said before was working fine closed fine now dont open !! I"ve read a bunch of stuff and a lot of it says to reset the codes or the computer!!

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi gboy7 in this LINK it's all you need to know about th soft top related problems and procedures.

Cheers.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,232 Posts

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,000 Posts
You can order it online. Depending on where you live, picking one up from the Dealer may be cheaper as you don't have to pay postage. Have you check your tool kit ? it should come with the car.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I was wondering how do i reset the computer for a soft top or clear all the codes ??? is there a way or do i have to take it to the dealer??
like i said before was working fine closed fine now dont open !! I"ve read a bunch of stuff and a lot of it says to reset the codes or the computer!!
Please help yourself by reading the forth Blue Sticky located on the Home page of the R129 Forum. Then go to the bottom of the Sticky and you will find two Threads. One addresses the RST 'hydraulic system' and the other addresses the RST 'control module'. It's my guess that since you have a 1992 500SL you will be replacing ALL (11-12) hydraulic cylinders seals soon. It would be a good idea to become well educated on the RST system.

Please read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1184702-soft-top-manual-lift-tool.html#post2419052

"It's Spring Time and the SL owners are wanting to use there RST."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts