Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500 SL
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 500SL with approx 109k. I just got my instrument cluster redone by "BBA-Reman" because the gauges weren't working. Everything seems to be working fine since I got it back except the odometer and tripometer stops working from time to time and then comes back sometime down the road (literally). My question: Is the function of the odometer related to the cluster (should I send it back) or is there a cable or something mechanical that I should look for? Anyone have this problem?
As always, any info is appreciated.
Thanks sparatically
Phil

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I have a 1992 500SL with approx 109k. I just got my instrument cluster redone by "BBA-Reman" because the gauges weren't working. Everything seems to be working fine since I got it back except the odometer and tripometer stops working from time to time and then comes back sometime down the road (literally). My question: Is the function of the odometer related to the cluster (should I send it back) or is there a cable or something mechanical that I should look for? Anyone have this problem?
As always, any info is appreciated.
Thanks sparatically
Phil
Do you have the mechanical or the digital odometer in '92?

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,113 Posts
I think the digital odometer starts at 1998 model year and the all digital dash starts at 1999.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
I think the digital odometer starts at 1998 model year and the all digital dash starts at 1999.
The matter seems not to be very clear because some members apparently seem to have an electronic cluster even in the quite early years of production probably the cluster had been changed during the life of the car so even if in 1992 it should be the mechanical cluster it might have the electronic one.

Cheers.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
It depends on the market I think, but the switch-over to a digital odometer happened sometime around the '92/'93 model year range. Basically, having dealt with BBA before, I know they only do digital/electronic stuff. When I asked them, they said that they do not mess with the mechanical odo's.

So, I suspect that if it is digital, he will be able to send it back to BBA under their warranty program, and that if it is mechanical, he will have to do something else with it, since they don't do those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts