Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hows it going, my name is Gabriel and this is my first thread since joining here. I have have a few Mercedes over the years, nothing too special, but now I am seriously considering buying a 1992 500sl.

I am meeting up with the buyer at 12pm my time, so in about 2-3hrs. We spoke over the phone, and this is what he said was wrong with it:

**IT is advertised at $2800 BTW, but it has issues**

-He has had it for most of its life, clear title
-180k miles
*-The hydraulic suspension leaks, so he let it run dry and hasn't added any fluid for a few hundred miles he says. **How bad is this? the whole car looks low in his ad** This is my main concern!!
-Runs fine he says
-Never had an issue with transmission he says
-Body is good one small scratch on hood thats about it
-Stock 16in MB rims, can I upgrade to some AMG's later? will they fit?
-Needs new tires all around, that's why I ask if I can just get AMG rims instead, they look better.

What do you guys think? How much will it cost to fix the suspension? I'm assuming the pump is fried and who knows that is leaking, I'm thinking maybe around 3 grand to fix?

As I said, he is asking 2800, what should I talk him down to? I really appreciate your help guys, I don't want to buy a money pit that's for sure. Thank you!

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
on the AMG wheels, depending what kind you get they should fit. make sure you have the right offset. my 95 has 18in wheels on it, AMG, you see them on the SL73 and they fit no problem for me.

do you have any idea where the suspension is leaking from? because it could be not as simple as you may think. there are so many parts to it, and running things dry is never really a good idea for anything, but i don't know much about the hydraulic suspension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much would a set of 4 AMG rims cost me? All of this I could use to talk the seller down, plus I don't like the look of the stock 16 inch base rims.

No, he did not tell me where it was leaking from. He just says it was leaking and so he had to add fluid but after a while he stopped, not it is dry and all four corners are low. My main concern is if the pump is bad, and how much it would cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wait, he stated in the ad that the suspension leak is in the rear, however, he has not added fluid for a little while so I'm not sure what else is damaged

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
well depending on what kind you want. if you want the 2012 AMG rims they are about 1000 from mercedes benz. but if you want the SL73 type, i have no idea where to get those or how much they cost. my car came with them and they came from the factory from the 1st owner.

i really don't know much about how much the suspension would cost. i would hazard a guess from 3-5k but don't use that as a hard number. i could be very wrong. i do know that suspension is really a pain. you will probably have to replace a few parts on it, not just the pump. people on here have talked a lot about how you need to keep it in perfect condition and it can cost a pretty penny to do that. search the forum for hydraulic suspension and see what comes up. that will help you a lot. well not adding fluid is normally never good. i would recommend, before you buy, bring the car to a mechanic that is good with older MBs to get it looked over. that is what i do as a safe gaurd really. if that is possible to do i would suggest it.

·
Registered
1997 SL600
203 Posts
Pump might be dead if he ran it that low, It is expensive. Probably a grand if you get a rebuild.

You could swap suspension to metal but it is a lot of work and hasn't been well documented and if the pump is shot you'll have to replace it anyway since it runs tandem for the steering too. Cost to change to metal suspension is about $1000 plus labor.

I'd run from this personally. You're probably looking at a few thou in suspension no matter what, plus at least a grand in wheels and tires. By the time you sink the money to get it right you could have bought one that was right from the start.

Is it a $6k car with these fixed?

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
... can I upgrade to some AMG's later? will they fit?
-Needs new tires all around, that's why I ask if I can just get AMG rims instead, they look better.
You need to set your priorities. Wheel upgrade of about $2000 on a $2,800 SL doesn't seem right to me. You may need to sink in around $5000 in repairs and touch up to appropriately drive the car before you upgrade to AMG wheels or upgrade anything for that matter.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
You need to set your priorities. Wheel upgrade of about $2000 on a $2,800 SL doesn't seem right to me. You may need to sink in around $5000 in repairs and touch up to appropriately drive the car before you upgrade to AMG wheels or upgrade anything for that matter.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
:thumbsup:
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
If you are serious about buying the car, go to your local MB dealership and puchase 2 quarts of hydraulic suspension fluid (~$40).

Fill the suspension res near the washer res (the one with the little cap that says Oel).

Start the car and see if the body lifts.

If it lifts, check for leaks.

If it doesn't lift, don't buy it and count yourself $40 wiser.

·
Registered
98 SL500
362 Posts
Hey hows it going, my name is Gabriel and this is my first thread since joining here. I have have a few Mercedes over the years, nothing too special, but now I am seriously considering buying a 1992 500sl.

You said the car was a 500 SL. I may be mistaken but it doesn't have a hydraulic suspension only the SL600 does. The 500 has shocks and struts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I will go to Mercedes right now and buy some hydraulic oil, see if it still raises.

Anyhow, I bought it! I talked him down to 2000, and we shook hands.

It runs great, it is a one owner car and cosmetically its about perfect. The ride is a bit bumpy since it is so low, and I really want to explore options on that, or just drive it as is.

No, it does have the special suspension. There is a little reseviour that says oel on it and it is in fact empty. I am going to do what mahunt says and get two quarts and dump it in there. If it DOES raise, what should I do? take it to mechanic to see what is leaking?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,232 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I will go to Mercedes right now and buy some hydraulic oil, see if it still raises.

Anyhow, I bought it! I talked him down to 2000, and we shook hands.

It runs great, it is a one owner car and cosmetically its about perfect. The ride is a bit bumpy since it is so low, and I really want to explore options on that, or just drive it as is.

No, it does have the special suspension. There is a little reseviour that says oel on it and it is in fact empty. I am going to do what mahunt says and get two quarts and dump it in there. If it DOES raise, what should I do? take it to mechanic to see what is leaking?
Look under it and see what is leaking yourself. There is a hose that crosses under the engine from side to side. That would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
....You said the car was a 500 SL. I may be mistaken but it doesn't have a hydraulic suspension only the SL600 does. The 500 has shocks and struts.
I thought when he mentioned hydraulic fluid it's for the convertible top.

OMG SL600 for $2,000; you hit the mother load!

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
900 Posts
I thought when he mentioned hydraulic fluid it's for the convertible top.

OMG SL600 for $2,000; you hit the mother load!
I think the hydraulic suspension was an option for the 500SL, although I can't remember which years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The owner mentioned it was from the rear. I will go get some fluid a bit later today and check back with you guys where I can see the leak. I really hope it still raises! If not, the pump is bad correct? I like driving it this way but its a bit too bumpy for me. Do you think 2000 was a good price? I don't think I can lose..

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
imightbuyanr129,

Can you confirm if it's a 500 or 600? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 2004 SLK32 AMG
17 Posts
Are you sure he wasn't referring to the hydraulics for the convertible top? I don't think that model has hydraulic suspension. I had cylinders rebuilt for the top on my 1998 SL500 and it cost me around $500. The pump is in the trunk under the spare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is in fact a 1992 500sl with the adjustable suspension, i believe it has every option because it even has orthodonic seats with massage.

I wish it had the regular suspension, it would be much easier to maintain

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 2004 SLK32 AMG
17 Posts
If it has the dual pump and it's shot, that could be a serious dollar. Not sure you can get a rebuild kit for those. Someone else on here might can advise. I know there was an MB sitting at my indie's shop for weeks while they were trying to locate a salvage as a new one was around $1600 if I recall.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts