Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying a 1992 500SEL with about 140000 miles, the Car is in immaculate shape drives and feels great, However there is an orange ASR light in the cluster that will not go off, the seller just downplays its significance.
I am concerned that this may be a serious problem, can anyone please help, on how big a problem this is? and estimated cost of repairs.[?]

·
Registered
95 Posts
whoa! It is very significant. You need an experienced MB mechanic to run diagnostic on computer to pinpoint problem. It could be a cheap (sensors) or very expensive fix (computer). Sometimes it will cause the car to drive in limp home mode.

I have to be honest. Even thought I love the brand and believe the engines can run for 300,000 miles, unless you are getting this car real cheap, you have to think twice.

Even though everything is working fine now (assuming), many components are worn or due to be replace, it will be a continuing trend for this car unless the owner has previously replaced everything already or you are a very lucky guy.

For example, with that kind of mileage these are the wear items that you will need to worry about:

water pump
air con system
transmission
alternator
stereo amp
throttle actuators
all suspension components
engine and transmission mounts
etc...

Not trying to scare you, just painting proper picture for you. So if the price is a great bargain then it's worth considering. I personally would not hestiate in buying a high mileage car if the price is right.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Unless the price justifies you spending money to trac it down dont go there. It could be a brake light switch or the computer. Any good MB dealer should be able to pull the codes to narrow it down. if the seller is downplaying it what else could be wrong, has the AC been done?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the response, he is leting me have the car for $7K the KBB value is $11K. what do yo9u think of the price?????
Bear in mind that the car is immiculate, I mean pampered to the T

·
Registered
95 Posts
7k is fair value, I'm thinking 5 to 6k. Keep in mind that with that mileage not many people will touch the car. If you need to invest another 3k on the first major failure you will have a 10k car that is worth 5 to 7k.

I do put a premium on perfect body and interior. if you plan on keeping it for a long time then it might be worth the plunge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts