Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, searching for a source for a wire harness for a 1992 500e. I've found lots for 320's and 400's.... but have a tough time any suggestions

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I am not positive but I have been told the 500E harness is the same as the 400E of the same year and with ASR.

Call Rusty he will know for sure.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I am not positive but I have been told the 500E harness is the same as the 400E of the same year and with ASR.
No, not so, the 92 500E harness is different than the 400E, with or without ASR, and different than the later 500E/E500s. Part number is 1245439526.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think the only difference between a 92 400E with ASR harness and a 92 500E harness is the 500E harness has the extra wires to run the rear load leveling pump.

Another potential issue is that almost all 92 500Es had the self diagnostics while only 92 400Es sold in California had that feature. (There are folks who insist that ALL 500Es had the self diagnostics but that simply is NOT true. The very early non-Calif 500Es didn't have the feature. One of them regularly races with us at the track!)

If you are in a real bind a 400E harness could be made to work until you can score a 500E harness but don't tell any of the 500E owners that you did it or there will be Hell to pay!
Regards, Eric

·
W124 Moderator
12,583 Posts
Hey Guys, searching for a source for a wire harness for a 1992 500e. I've found lots for 320's and 400's.... but have a tough time any suggestions
Now that deanyel gave you the part # needed, go to parts.com and source the harness. I'd suggest a replacement lower harness as well.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Another potential issue is that almost all 92 500Es had the self diagnostics while only 92 400Es sold in California had that feature. (There are folks who insist that ALL 500Es had the self diagnostics but that simply is NOT true. The very early non-Calif 500Es didn't have the feature.
By "self diagnostics" you mean the built in push-button for the DM, right? The "self" diagnostics should still be there on the 38 pin, you just need the home built code reader to access them, which to me is not a real big deal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, I meant the built in push-button for the DM.

I only mentioned it because it might mean another difference in harnesses.

Since I'm out here in Calif I don't see many W124s that DON'T have it. All 4 of my W124s do have it.

I only mention the 400E harness option because sometimes, even 500E owners can be strapped for cash. The 500E harnesses are obscenely expensive. 400E harnesses are, by comparison, a relative bargain.

I know, I know, a 500E is supposed to have a 500E harness. But it's just so darned expensive!
Regards, Eric

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The engine management upper harnessess has the leveling wires in them? are you sure? I am asking as the 92 I saw years ago in the junkyard seemed to have the same harness to the engine as a 92, with ASR of that year. There wasnt that much to it. Even my 93 I rewired in about 2 hours and that was soldering it wire by wire.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The engine management upper harnessess has the leveling wires in them? are you sure?
No, I am not sure. I only mentioned it as a possible reason for the difference in part numbers between the harness for 92 400Es with ASR and the part number for the 92 500E harnesses. If the leveling wires are in fact not part of the harness, then there is no reason for there to be a part number difference between the two, other than MB being able to extort more money from hapless 500E owners!
Regards, Eric

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
No, I am not sure. I only mentioned it as a possible reason for the difference in part numbers between the harness for 92 400Es with ASR and the part number for the 92 500E harnesses. If the leveling wires are in fact not part of the harness, then there is no reason for there to be a part number difference between the two, other than MB being able to extort more money from hapless 500E owners!
Regards, Eric
The premise isn't really true - for 1992 the 500E harness is only $67 more (at parts.com) and for 93 and after they are the same price, although still different part numbers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man ,You guys are great. Thanks so much. Does anyone know the part number for the lower harness? Also anyone think of anything else that I should change from a duplicate labor or ease of exposure point of view when I'm changing either? Thanks again

·
Banned
7,361 Posts
Harnes part numbers.

Here's the harness part numbers from the EPC.

Lower harness: 124-540-2730

92 Engine harness: 124-543-9526

93 up Engine harness: 124-440-2006

·
Banned
7,361 Posts
I think the only difference between a 92 400E with ASR harness and a 92 500E harness is the 500E harness has the extra wires to run the rear load leveling pump.

Regards, Eric

The SLS pump is a tandem pump with the p/s. No wires to that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Clarkz71
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing