Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Way too many
692 Posts
Man I want this.....Festus is 20 minutes south of STL and a million miles away from culture.

1992 mercedes 500E damaged lf 111k miles
And yet another million miles away from a 500E owner who actually knows about them...
Sadly, it seems that incorrect information gets just rehashed over and over again until it's taken as "fact." Can a 12 step program be far behind?
Oh well.

Ron

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Ron, 90% of the time the wording in the listing is worthless. The only reality is seeing it in person and judging for yourself. I'm so tired of CL listings telling me why this or that is worth what they are asking, reeks of desperation.

I just thought I'd bring this to the forum's attention. I have no business with this project, lol I've had 33 speeding tickets and 32 cars. I'm winding down at 40. I'm happy with my diesel.

·
Registered
682 Posts
if by recaros, you mean the 'standard' e500 recaros, then the sportline coupes 'do' come with them, as near as makes no differance anyway.

the recaros for the 500e are the same as the coupe leather chairs, just coverd with different patterned leather.

i went to a lot of trouble and expence to fit 500e recaros into my coupe, and then realised that they were 95% the same as what i took out, and 3% of that was the fact they had no tilt function for the backrest.

flicked them and got some real recaros; ideal c classics.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I don't know about outside of NA, but over here the Sportline coupes did not come with the 500E-style seats...dunno why, but that seems to be the case. Genuine 500E/Sportline seats should have deeper bolsters for the seat back and bottom cushion.

·
Registered
93Sportline Sold, 1996 300D Dead, 1993 300SE sold, 85' 300d, 300sdl, 72 porsche 914-6, c230 in flame
27 Posts
the car is in pretty good shape, i saw it and my be trading one of my MB's foritm a 1996 300e diesel for it

anyway the main damage is the fender rail is bent in befor the from wheek, it needs to go on a frame rack--over all nice, but it will take about 2k to get it nice again

·
Registered
1993 MB 500E, 1965 MB 220b
77 Posts
'92 500E: Left Front End Damaged

... but it will take about 2k to get it nice again
Be prepared for it to take a minimum $4k (& that's if you own or work for the body shop).

I love the CL wording, "light tap". Light taps don't bend frame rails. :crybaby2:The fender, front bumper & headlight are 500E $pecific (shared with no other W124s) & rather $carce/expensive. There are also a few other unique replacement items tucked behind the bumper & sheet metal that will tack on to the overall cost (one new OEM Bo$ch foglight retails for $312). Then there's the cost of a proper BASF (R&M) paintjob.

You'll also have to verify if hood, driver's door, radiator, front $uspension & $teering geometry was affected. A front end alignment may also be required/advi$ed.

You can minimze overall cost by doing alot of the legwork yourself in sourcing the replacement parts you need (avoiding middleman markups). The parts are out there. Deals can be found.

I don't want to dissuade you. The 500E is a tremendous piece of machinery. Just be prepared to invest about $5K in repair costs alone for this one (could be a reason the current owner is not seeking to repair it). Maybe some other system maintenance/repairs have also been put off, too...:confused:

The key question...why isn't the car being repaired under the current owner's insurance policy??:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree DerFuror, Min 5K to get it done correctly and then a couple thousand to bring the maintenance up to speed. But then you will have a wrecked and repaired 500E for 12K, lol

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I agree DerFuror, Min 5K to get it done correctly and then a couple thousand to bring the maintenance up to speed. But then you will have a wrecked and repaired 500E for 12K, lol
Alternatively, you could sell every single component not absolutely essential for vehicle movement, and have a legit $500 24 Hours of LeMons car!

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
The key question...why isn't the car being repaired under the current owner's insurance policy??:confused:
My guess is he carried a liability only policy. I think its a horrible idea to skimp on coverage for the more rare of the 124s, hence why I have comprehensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts