Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 400E
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so.. im stuck in a dilemma.. i have owned my 300E for the past year and ahalf now and i am missing the leather interior/sunroof that my ml320 had to offer.. i have the J-Spec 300E so non leather/no sunroof. I have encountered a possible trade with a 500E that needs some tlc..

here is my 300-

1991 Mercedes-Benz 300E *mint - Calgary Cars For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.

the 500-... his price has no rims.. mine does...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Rare-1992-Mercedes-Benz-500E-AMG-badging-W0QQAdIdZ381132639

Pros:
Sunroof/Leather interior
5.0L v8 upgrade
ect..

cons:
car has "higher" km (the amount i will be driving it wont bother me)
minor rust spots..
burns little blue
need new rad fan
needs some rear strut work..

all in all id be trading for a car that needs some tlc..
fix the burning blue issue, radiator fan, rear strut work..
think its worth my time? - thanks.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,367 Posts
Rust is the biggest enemy for any MB and is usually the costliest to fix due to the extensive labor involved.

But if you budget allows for it (the bigger the budget the better due to being a 500E), or better yet is unlimited, then the effort will be rewarded on the first drive after restoration. However, the 500E WILL cost per km in upkeep than your M103 300E. Just a fact of life. Example, being the timing chain which stretches on the M119 V8 and virtually indestructible on the M103.

IF you do get the 500E, please get rid of those hideous rims by using them as boat anchors. No MB owner should be forced to have to live with those.

IMO, I never ever buy a MB with rust of any kind. It's just not worth dealing with the cost of keeping the cancer at bay.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
They may not be in Canada, but a 400E or E420 is almost as good as the Big Boy and sure is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
2005 E55
784 Posts
There are enough 400's in Canada....

the thing is something seems very fishy with that car

Why would a 500 owner want to switch with a 300, even though its a rare RHD one.

Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
W124
5,152 Posts
The owner's description states Porsche built the engine. Really? This doesn't sound right.

A cheap 500e that needs work will probably never appreciate (if any 500e ever does appreciate) and be more expensive and less desireable in the long run than one that is in great shape and was well cared for.

You could be jumping from the 300e frying pan into the 500e fire.

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 400E
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are enough 400's in Canada....

the thing is something seems very fishy with that car

Why would a 500 owner want to switch with a 300, even though its a rare RHD one.

Proceed with caution.
He has 3 other w124s. i was interested in trades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts