Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
560 SEC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I know that the topic may have already fried me but before I start, I would like to say this. I am a very strong supporter and enthusiast of Mercedes Benz philosophy and design. Any project I have taken on with a classic AMG or Mercedes has been tastefully done. Therefore what I am about to embark on, in my mind will not be any different. In this case also I am quite possibly saving a 500E from ruin.

Here is my request. Below this is a bit of supporting information. So has anyone here or know of any right hand drive conversions on these cars? I have a mechanic who has been converting US cars to RHD here and drives a 560SEC AMG and a 1986 one owner, 300E. He knows what I want and after looking at his 300e and some information on the 500, he said that he could do the conversion properly. I would really appreciate it if people could provide information on this. I do not want to butcher an amazing piece of Mercedes history. I want the conversion to look all factoey and will get the correct parts to do this right. It will be a very tough task to source a 500E engine, body , suspension parts etc to make this happen on a 300E. so starting with a 500E that requires some restoration is a good idea. Please read below for my potential purchase.

I will take all comments, contributions, abuse and praise in good humour. :surrender::D

During my journey I have had some great cars, my first daily driver was a 1990 300E-24. and my most recent daily driver, 18 years later an S55. In my collection sit a 1985 Porsche 930, a 250S, a C43 and an AMG 500SL.

Having owned a few cars, I always come back to the w124. Recently when I dropped my S55 in for a scheduled service, the dealer was handing me the keys to an E55 to use for the day as a courtesy car. Next to that happened to be parked a 300E. The look on the service guys face was worth a 100 million when I asked if could take the 300E !

Anyway, to the point. I came back from the UK recently after business travel and had the pleasure of sampling a business associates' 1992 500E. I loved this car to death and always asked to drive it while I was there. He has a CLS and said that it was a good look for us to be turning up in the CLS for business meetings. But I asked to use the 500E in the weekends and ditched my rental. The 500E sits outside and is showing signs of wear. It is going to need restoration work soon. This guy does not look after it and the oil change is overdue, the airconditioning needs gas in it, the rear electric windows dont work etc etc. I know this is where it starts as I have seen this many a time when cars come up for sale.

It has been offered to me and I will be able to get it to my country easily enough. I may have to make another trip over to source some parts for the restoration. I'm pretty sure it will be the only 500E in my country. This car will be one of those cars which I will always get me excited about the weekend for. I did not realise they were that good until I drove one. Remember the car that I drove was not the best example but it has left me thinking about it everyday. A few drives in my Porsche 930 doesnt even shake it off.

I have some nice plans for it. Such as putting on AMG AERO 1 wheels, the w126 +11 offset and colourcoding them to the car with polished lips. The car is black. I would keep the rest stock looking. Lateron, I will look at installing the 6.0l M119 AMG my mechanic has had sitting in his garage after his trip to Japan 12 months ago. He was going to do an install in a w116 but decided not to go ahead with that project. He mentioned that a twin turbo 6.0l m119 in the 500E with aftermarket injection etc, would be phenomenal. I just cannot picture that after driving a 500E for the first time a month ago.

So, there we have it. :eek:

·
Registered
682 Posts
loads will moan that you are modding a 'special' car, wrongly i might add, i say go for it, but you should be asking for advise from australia or the uk, not america, they all have the steering wheel in the wrong place...

never seen or hurd of one being done, to my mind the best would be to re-shell into 300 or better still a 300ce?

6.0l twin turbo, shit, id buy that for a dollor

·
Registered
E320 s124 E320 w124 project
368 Posts
Great write up mate,a proper enthusiasts words :thumbsup:
Everything can be done but I`d say leave it at the 6l as that`ll be enough
PS:If you don`t go for it,can you pass some info of theat black 500e?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts